Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raise, breed, and sell chickens as a hobby. They are great, entertaining, and helpful pets who reward you with eggs! lol does anybody else have fluffybutts?

p.s. i'll have pics up later

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My mom LOVES chickens... we use to live on a farm and we always kept chickens. She doesn't anymore... but she now has her whole kitchen dedicated to chickens. LOL

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
My grandpa has a good handful on his farm....white leghorns,
domineckers, rhode island reds, banties, and mixes. Farm fresh
eggs are the best!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
one of my best friends has chickens - a variety of layers. "the girls" are hilarious. they are so funny when you call them and they come running - i love to watch them run! you're right, though, home-made eggs are the best!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
LOL! I tried to talk my husband into letting me get a couple awhile back lol, he said no lol, he said they do not lay every night so I would have to have a bunch to get enough eggs. We LOVE free range brown eggs, and they are not exactly "cheep" lol so I thought it would be a good idea. But NOPE. Do they lay every day? What type of fowl produce the brown eggs?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
My hubby grew up with pet chickens. He had the kind witht he fluffy feet... can't think of what they are called just now... silkies?? Anyway, when we moved I really wanted to get more but we never did. Neither of us really has the time to care for them anyhow so that is probably a good thing that we didnt :) Would love to see pics of your babies!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
We have a coop and an enclosed range that was left by the previous property owner. We plan to re-do it and make it 'usable' again and then get 4 or so of our own for eggs :)

Any advice, tips, etc, you have would be appreciated ;)

A "Chicken How-To" would be nice haha.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I always say I'll get a couple of chickens when I have an actual house of my own. they're so cute!! especially the extra fluffy ones or the ones with crazy head hair. I have to admit, big roosters make me nervous. but the chickens are still cute. Can't wait to see pics!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Dianne does chickens and turkeys. She had layers and fancies too. She can offer a lot of advice on just about anything to do with chickens. We're going to share them this year.

I'll have mine over-easy please. :hungry:

·
Registered
546 Posts
when I was a kid, we had chickens and roosters in our backyard. sounds pretty normal, right? the catch is, we lived in the city. they would escape from the yard and run amok all around the neighborhood. they would "cock-a-doodle doooooo" :chicken: every morning. needless to say, our neighbors hated us. they also disliked the HUGE turtles we kept in the yard. my school mate had a pig in her backyard. what's with us "city-folk"?!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi ArmaniGirl,

I have 6 girls - my Easter gift from the hubster. I adore them and they give me hours of pleasure. 8½ weeks until they make the hubby breakfast! Not for me though, I am allergic to eggs.

Building the coop took FOREVER but we used a lot of recycled materials and the girls love it.

I learned everything on Back Yard Chickens forum. Anyone serious about getting chicks can learn a wealth of information from there (similar to the fact this is the greatest place to learn all about poodles).

Here are my girls and their coop. As babies 4 days old. Lily & Chicks 121.jpg
First day in the run, up front is my favorite, Blackie.
chicken coop almost done! 033.jpg
First day in the coop, making sure it is good enough for them...
chicken coop almost done! 052.jpg
Almost done!
chicken coop almost done! 064.jpg
We are planning a chicken moat, fencing all around our garden to help keep out weeds and bugs. Hopefully it will be finished soon.
chicken coop almost done! 076.jpg

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
LOL!!! I showed this pic to my hubby and the first thing he said was "we could not live there" LOL!!! He did not realize it was a chicken coop it is so cute!!!!!!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Wow, that is nicer looking than my house!

VERY nice coop!

What is the URL to this chicken forum I`m gonna have to get on the reading ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL! I tried to talk my husband into letting me get a couple awhile back lol, he said no lol, he said they do not lay every night so I would have to have a bunch to get enough eggs. We LOVE free range brown eggs, and they are not exactly "cheep" lol so I thought it would be a good idea. But NOPE. Do they lay every day? What type of fowl produce the brown eggs?
sorry everybody! love the comments! i've been on vacation so i had no internet.

Many breeds lay brown eggs and there are different shades lol!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have a coop and an enclosed range that was left by the previous property owner. We plan to re-do it and make it 'usable' again and then get 4 or so of our own for eggs :)

Any advice, tips, etc, you have would be appreciated ;)

A "Chicken How-To" would be nice haha.

THANKS!!
BYC is really great with that stuff! atlas posted a URL above.
I have silkies, games, mixed layers, polish, bantams and anything else that flies into the yard lol!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I found AWESOME plans for a coop. I think I may have to just destroy my old one and make a nice new one.

Have you ever had goats with your chickens? Heard they were good at keeping smaller critters from trying to get the chickens/eggs.

I'd love a goat or two for weed control, and at night stick them with the chickens :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I know this is kind of an older post, but I was looking at guineas today, I know they do a great job with bugs and stuff, but does anyone know if they are loud? Do they fly??? could I keep them in like an outdoor dog run while my dogs were out? Could I train my dogs not to eat them?? LOL sorry, so many questions LOL!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts