Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw on weather channel about the tornado that hit Chicago and environs. I know Click and family are in ChicagoLand and I hope she will check in. There maybe others in the area, Please do let us know and hear from you. PF is my family and maybe yours too.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Siren went off at 10:46 pm. My husband was sleeping. I woke him up. We followed standard operating tornado warning protocol: sturdy shoes on, leash dogs, locate cats. Sturdy shoes are essential because if window glass breaks, or the roof blows off, you need to be wearing sturdy shoes. We got a lot of rain and vivid lightning, but no serious wind. Storm cell passed north of our house. 11:30 PM, siren went off a second time. More rain and vivid lightning, some wind. No real damage. Dodged a bullet. Went to bed. Fell asleep at 2 am.

Woke up to find out major damage was in Naperville between 75th Street and Ranchview Drive. I work between 75th Street and Ranchview drive! I texted my boss. She sent me pictures of severe damage within blocks of the business. No damage at the business. One of our students had severe damage to her home. Broke my heart hearing that.

Last year a derecho spawned a tornado that touched down in our neighborhood and ripped up all the trees, damaged houses, and destroyed our vets office, so I have a lot of compassion for anyone who goes through at tornado. It really does sound like a freight train. Wind just roars like a train. The damage in Naperville is unbelievable. Trees ripped up by their roots and tossed everywhere. Sides of houses yanked off. Looks like our neighborhood did last August. Such a scary thing to go through.

However... We're safe. No worries.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
The sound of the storm siren isn't the same anymore, that's for sure. It made every hair on my neck stand up last night. A year ago, our neighborhood was torn up, but work was just fine. Now the area around work is a disaster zone and my house is fine. I'll be stressed out driving through the damaged area on my way to work on Wednesday. It's hard to go through something like that. My heart aches for my student and her home.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Click, I’m so glad you are okay.

So sorry for those hurt by these storms. it’s devastating to drive by the damage, it’s a daily reminder of the loss.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm also in the Chicago suburbs. The tornado was, as Click said, on 75th Street. I'm off 55th (north of 75th) and a few miles east of where it hit. It dissolved about 3 miles south of my house. After growing up in the cornfields of Illinois, with plenty of severe thunderstorms and several close calls with tornadoes, they don't make me very anxious. However, it does mean that I pay attention to the warnings and, like Click, wear sturdy shoes & head down to the basement. There is no sleeping through a tornado warning. The poodle was a little tense, we spent an hour in the basement, and then fell asleep at 1:30 once the storm had passed.

Of course I feel terrible for all those who have suffered damage. Click, I'm happy to hear that you are okay and sorry to hear that you now have been impacted by two tornadoes. :(

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
I actually love severe thunderstorms. I go outside and watch all the lightning. Last year, I got my alcoholic beverage, sat down on the front porch to watch the storm. The sky got dark. The sky got really dark. The sky turned blacker than midnight in a cave. Then the wind hit and I watched our tree get torn in half. Alcoholic beverage went flying, and I went right back in the house. Nope, nope, not watching that! This is not a drill! Take cover!

Minutes later, everything was a mess. Roof bits, tree bits, cost us thousands out of pocket to repair the damage. If a tree falls on your house, insurance pays to remove the tree. If a tree falls in your yard... that'll be two grand. Oh, you have two broken trees? That'll be four grand.

The neighbor just got his garage repaired a few weeks ago. My vet is still having their building repaired and will be back in their building in 2022. Storms blow through in minutes but the damage takes a long time to clean up.

55th street, eh? I'm just north of you, up by Roosevelt Rd.

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have seen a sky change when tornadoes are in my area - the sky turns green and of course the wind is up. The green is almost a fluorescence. This a real sign to take cover. The tornado I experienced as a child also had the weird green color.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
I think the reason the sky turned black that time was the derecho came in first and spawned a tornado behind it. Usually, we get that eerie green science fiction sky right before the sirens go off. Green sky is a sure sign things are about to go straight to hades.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Yes, Click and I discovered that we're headed to the same obedience trial this weekend. It's a small world!
Wow, what a small world it is. Good luck to both of you this weekend.

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
3,858 Posts
I have seen a sky change when tornadoes are in my area - the sky turns green and of course the wind is up. The green is almost a fluorescence. This a real sign to take cover. The tornado I experienced as a child also had the weird green color.
I (sort of) experienced (1) tornado in my lifetime when I was in 9th grade. They're quite uncommon here in CT, but it happens on occasion. Yes! The sky turned a roiling grey/green where I was which was about 2 miles from ground zero. The area hit had severe damage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.