Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a super-chewer standard? What kinds of chews and chew toys do you like to give them? Nimbus' favorite thing to chew are really hard things, but I'm so paranoid about what is safe! I've read things like bones and antlers can break teeth, and Nim is a very strong, relentless chewer. Has that happened to anyone? Nim will chew on softer toys like a Kong or a stuffy, but will lose interest after a few minutes. She doesn't really even try to chew hard plastic, like her treat balls. However, she could easily spend over an hour happily gnawing on a hoof or antler. Bone and smelly stuff really gets her attention. She also powers through all edible chews I've found in mere minutes. Bully sticks are her favorite, but even the big ones don't last that long.

Safety-wise, I'm also worried about her swallowing pieces of her toys. She'll gnaw off the ears/tails/any small protruding bits of her stuffed toys if I don't keep an eye on her or cut them off first, she'll chew up sticks and swallow the chips, and I'm certain she'd probably swallow bits of harder toys if she broke them off in her mouth. I dont even think she's trying to eat them, per se, it just seems reflexive. Like she wouldn't try to eat a piece of something if she found it just lying on the floor, only if it's a piece she just gnawed off of something. So material safety is a concern to me. I dont think I could get her anything not safe to be ingested like a Nylabone. She'd inevitably shred bits off! Also the safety info out there is so confusing! Seems like there's horror stories and bad press out there for literally every kind of chew.

Oh, one thing she loves is raw carrots. Not to eat, but she'll chomp them up into itty bitty pieces and leave the majority of them strewn all across the floor. Needless to say, she doesn't get carrots very often.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have two crocodile chewers myself, and the only chews I can recommend are bully sticks. I used to also recommend cow ears, but the quality has gone way downhill (from BestBullySticks), so I don't buy them anymore. Catherine and some others feed buffalo ears, which would be similar, and I might try those. Absolutely say NO to antlers, as they will break teeth.

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
Yes for buffalo ears and I will add Himalayan Yak Cheese. Both only under supervision though.

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
628 Posts
Bones are good. Raw bones, never cooked. Cooked bones splinter. I like knuckle bones or patellas (kneecaps), never give marrow bones. Marrow bones are too hard and will break teeth.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I understand that as long as they can make headway on the object (bone, antler) that it is not too hard for them. You should see teeth marks and scraping on any hard object. So, a chicken wing for a Yorkie, an antler for a Lab. Have you tried Nylabone? Some dogs like them, some don't.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone! I'm going to have to go stock up on some new chews to try :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I have a super power chewer too, although he's an inline mini. But he can chew up anything I give him. He has no interest in Nylabones: I think he likes to get results from chewing. He does chew on his kong a lot, but has broken off the different sized "balls" many times.

The one thing I found that he really loves is Beef Kneecaps. He is kept busy with one for 2-3 hours. And it is a chew that he will keep going back to time and time again. They do make headway on them, and towards the end of life for them, they can break the kneecap in half... although they are not big enough to swallow. That is when I throw them away and get new ones.

I don't use ears, because the grease is just too much, but I don't see that with these. You can check them out here on Chewy . com

Maybe you and he will like these. I don't give much else to my dog to chew.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I have a super power chewer too, although he's an inline mini. But he can chew up anything I give him. He has no interest in Nylabones: I think he likes to get results from chewing. He does chew on his kong a lot, but has broken off the different sized "balls" many times.

The one thing I found that he really loves is Beef Kneecaps. He is kept busy with one for 2-3 hours. And it is a chew that he will keep going back to time and time again. They do make headway on them, and towards the end of life for them, they can break the kneecap in half... although they are not big enough to swallow. That is when I throw them away and get new ones.

I don't use ears, because the grease is just too much, but I don't see that with these. You can check them out here on Chewy . com

Maybe you and he will like these. I don't give much else to my dog to chew.
They say these are slow roasted. So that's cooked. Is that okay? Or might they break off a little sharp shard? I have such a trouble finding something for my dogs to chew that doesn't contain too much grease and brine/salt that it scares me. Bully sticks work okay. But I was hoping for something larger. These look delicious. lol. But are they safe since they're cooked?

I looked them up on Amazon because I have free shipping (Prime) and just look at the reviews! Holy moly! That scares me. Probably a large (not too large) raw bone from the grocery store would be better. https://www.amazon.com/123-Treats-Natural-Lasting-Savory/dp/B07BYSFK14?th=1 But they work for you all right...obviously. My tiny poodles have jaws like....hmmm...like Jaws! lol.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
They say these are slow roasted. So that's cooked. Is that okay? Or might they break off a little sharp shard? I have such a trouble finding something for my dogs to chew that doesn't contain too much grease and brine/salt that it scares me. Bully sticks work okay. But I was hoping for something larger. These look delicious. lol. But are they safe since they are cooked?.

Actually they don’t break off in sharp shards. If they could take a big chunk off, you might be left with a pointy part, but pretty much they stay pretty smooth. Even if it’s left point it is not sharp. They are real pleasers at my house, even with Stella who is not a chewer except to rip squeakers out, and fluff off of, and arms and legs and tails in a plushie lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,294 Posts

Chews for spoos with crocodile jaws, :croc:
Just when I think I've found one,
It has some kind of major flaw.
It's either too small or it weighs a ton.

Now I don't have a spoo you see,
But there's a pair of tpoos, :angel::angel:
Not medium and not so large, but oh so very wee,
Astounding though, how they can chew!

Always on a quest - to buy the perfect chewy,
The hardest rubber, the toughest skin,
"non" destructible, I just can't win.
Oh, what a mess my bank account's in.

Crocodile teeth in toys and spoos,
Destroy they do, not just a few,
But every single type of chew.
I give up, how 'bout you?

Bully sticks are really quite fine,
though two faults unpleasantly serious,
One, they cost much more than a dime,
And good heavens! They're odoriferous!:eek2:

Frustration looms from morning till noon,:banghead:
I just can't find the perfect chew,
Bullies are a lot of bucks,
Methinks I have to tell the poos....
that they are sorely out of luck.

I'll take them hunting and they can search,
I just can't leave them in the lurch,
They can find their own pizzel prize, :hungry:
And let them do the work.

"What do you say to that?" I ask,
That is life and that's a fact,
You'll simply have to earn your keep,
What you find is what you reap. :alberteinstein::amen:

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I have two crocodile chewers myself, and the only chews I can recommend are bully sticks. I used to also recommend cow ears, but the quality has gone way downhill (from BestBullySticks), so I don't buy them anymore. Catherine and some others feed buffalo ears, which would be similar, and I might try those. Absolutely say NO to antlers, as they will break teeth.

It always baffles me when I look at these various animal parts they use for chews. Some of them are incredibly hard. There's no way I'd give them to my dogs. When I fed raw bones with their meal, that worked just fine. They're flexible when raw and when they're things like chicken bones. But I can't give those now, at least not any more than a very small piece that would be eaten in two seconds because they'll get constipated...too much calcium all at once. So, alas....I guess and occasional bully stick or maybe I'll get brave and try one of those knee cap things and watch them carefully. I dunno. :dontknow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts