Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my puppy cant go on walks yet as he is not fully vaccinated but we are starting to get him used to his leash indoors. At the moment, he just wants to chew it and I try distracting him with toys which he will chew and play with for a bit then he will go back to the leash. How do I stop him seeing it as a toy? I have tried spraying it with bitter apple spray but it doesn't seem to work.

If I take him out in the garden with the leash on he will walk near me if we are moving but if I stand still he will kick off and start fighting the leash by bucking and jumping.

What can I do to help him understand that it is not a toy and to not fight it?

Also he digs in his bed a lot, just scratching at the base of it (either the plastic one with the mattress which he removes before digging or his teflon material one. he will dig solidly for quite a while and I am not sure if this is a behaviour he instinctively needs or if I should reprimand him for doing it.

He is fussy with his treats so using treats can be hard to get his attention. Sometimes he will want them but then other times he will just spit them out.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My poms are almost 2 and will still mouth the leash once in a while. :eek:hwell:

Both things you mention are normal of a playful puppy.:) Just correct the behavior when he does it.

I always give an eye to eye firm face when I correct my dogs, this way if I am across the room and see something they are not suppose to do I get their attention and cut em the eye :scared: lol!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try, we are teaching him to play with toys at the moment and be more playful, he is starting to love playing too, then I guess we will be able to use toys to distract him more.

I was more worried about his digging in his bed to become obsessive behaviour as he really is intent on digging and digs really fast in one spot for quite a while (for his short attention span)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy has done the digging on the bed (and on the rug) thing since he was small. I would just kind of block him from doing it by putting my hand in the way and say "no digging!". Over time, he caught on and now I just say no digging or no or stop that and he knows what I mean. I'm thinking of buying him a child's sandbox to put outside so he can dig to his little heart's content. He's started a couple of holes in the ground, but he stops when I tell him to. I just think part of it is an instinct that he just can't completely resist on his own.

He also would chew on the leash, but only when we weren't walking. Like if I put it on him inside and then have to wait a couple minutes before going outside, he will start chewing on it. He will stop if I tell him to leave it.

Leave it is the BEST command ever to teach a young puppy. :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to try to block him and say no digging then. He is normally pretty insistent and does it even on his vet bed or any bedding really and sometimes on the sofa. He only very occasionally tries to dig outside.

I think Panda will be better with the leash when we can take him out for walks as when we are moving he is normally pretty good at walking along side you. its just when I put it on him to get him used to it or if we stop moving at all he has a good old munch on it and sometimes then fights it to try get it off 0_o

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy could be pretty insistent too--you just have to me MORE insistent. LOL

Seriously, all of this requires massive amounts of patience. It will not happen in one day, but like anything else worth having, it's worth waiting for.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have been walking Ivan in the back yard. He doesn't chew it as much but still likes to have it in his mouth, just holding it and I'm thinking who's walking who? :p

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, lots of patience hehe :) its constant learning and teaching appropriate behaviours all day with puppies ^_^ what can I chew on, what happens if I do this, I want to play now or jump up, I don't wan't to do that etc etc hehe, bless them. I love Panda so much, he is such a character.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Panda likes to have it in his mouth too sometimes hehe. He walks along side me looking up at me when we are moving, but when I turn around or stop for a second he gets distracted, when outside he doesn't always want his treats, I will have to start using his toys when walking round the garden with him, maybe that will hold his attention more.

·
Registered
875 Posts
not sure on the leash part, as I haven't really had to deal with it.

Izzy digs in her crate before she lays down, its normal, but if she is getting out of hand with it, then I use a sound distraction(a firm EHH EHHH works just fine with her) to snap her out of it

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah I think he gets a bit obsessed with digging and would dig dig dig dig for ages given the chance and I dont want it to be come and obsessive habbit, I will keep blocking him and distracting him and hope he gets the picture.

He is a smart boy and has learnt to run to the back door when he needs to toilet 80% of the time which is great as we have only had him less than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It may be that he has a little too much energy. Its never too early to teach him a new trick/behavior, or to tire him out a little with some fetch or something fun like hide and seek, recall games etc...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
he loves fetch but if he is not in the mood he will go get whatever you have thrown (sometimes walking really slowly over there which is funny) then take it to his bed and lie down for a nap.

We are working on 'Watch' at the moment and on him letting us clean his ears as lots of wax has come to the surface since they were plucked.

He will follow us when walking on a lead to go to toilet outside and normally waits at any door for us to go first. Sometimes he likes to hold the lead in his mouth, he hasn't tried to attack the lead today so that's a start but who knows, maybe later he will lol.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I'm glad to know Beau is in good company! Before we learned better, he chewed right through the nylon leader on a $25 retractable leash. He "digs" any bed pad in either of the crates we have. Much to my wife's chagrin, he also digs at the fancy chenille blanket on our bed before circling a few times and settling in for a nap. He even likes to dig little holes in the lawn, or worst of all, in the loose potting soil of a planter. Then he comes and "smiles" at me with his muzzle and front legs all covered in dirt. Oh well, the breeder did warn us he's a "digger."

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
awww, I guess we will need to just need to be firm with no digging in the house and let him dig to his hearts content in a designated dig area outside hehe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts