Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Right now we seem to be experiencing some really difficult issues with our 1yr old miniture. Long story short. He has allergies (persistent itching) (at least one we know of right now - dust mites). Food tests to be done in Feb so there may be more yet to come.

He's on a kibble diet which may be a contributing or exacerbating factor in his relentless and destructive chewing (nutrients). He understands possession and so it's only his toys thankfully but we are going through the apparently almost indestructible toys at a rate that will see Kong company profits increase by tenfold before long! He doesn't chew so much as really get the toy into the back of his mouth and grind it away.

Because of the kibble diet the vet has him on until Feb tests we can't give him any thing to eat or to chew that are plant or animal based at this time.

We have plenty of brain toys that he loves to play with and we do that regularly in the day with him. Obviously these toys are played with and then removed so he can't wreck them.

What I'm interested to hear are thoughts on whether this chewing could be the result of being who he is, nutrient deficiency despite the kibble being apparently all he needs, or anxiety. He is an anxious pup especially when on walks. He doesn't much like a lot of other dogs (not all however he does have one playmate he likes), hates to have people or dogs he doesn't know walking behind evan at a bit of a distance away. He does however love people and wants to be around them all day long with out fear or issue.

Also I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had any success in finding toys that really are indestructible for chewy dogs.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Hi, Have potential dental issues been checked out?

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Aw. Poor boy :(

There is a second teething phase when the teeth settle firmly into the jaw. It can last quite a while.

I've had two dogs that looooved grinding away with their back molars (Peggy's one of them). It's an extremely efficient chewing motion, compounded by the power of adult teeth and that strong adult jaw. I've yet to find a toy that can endure it for long.

Braided denim holds up fairly well relative to soft commercial toys, and is much cheaper to replace daily.

Or have you tried freezing some moistened kibble into a black Kong? The cold might provide some additional relief while the kibble redirects a bit of his attention.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aw. Poor boy :(

There is a second teething phase when the teeth settle firmly into the jaw. It can last quite a while.

I've had two dogs that looooved grinding away with their back molars (Peggy's one of them). It's an extremely efficient chewing motion, compounded by the power of adult teeth and that strong adult jaw. I've yet to find a toy that can endure it for long.

Braided denim holds up fairly well relative to soft commercial toys, and is much cheaper to replace daily.

Or have you tried freezing some moistened kibble into a black Kong? The cold might provide some additional relief while the kibble redirects a bit of his attention.
That's a good idea about the kibble! Glad to hear we aren't the only ones to experience a chewer in the family!!!! Will also explore the braided denim suggestion as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
That's a good idea about the kibble! Glad to hear we aren't the only ones to experience a chewer in the family!!!! Will also explore the braided denim suggestion as well. Thanks!
I would be very careful about giving your dog any toy that has rope/fabric that can be shredded, stripped, de-threaded, etc. and swallowed. Do some google searching such as "rope toy issues", etc. and make your own decision before purchasing or giving to your dog.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be very careful about giving your dog any toy that has rope/fabric that can be shredded, stripped, de-threaded, etc. and swallowed. Do some google searching such as "rope toy issues", etc. and make your own decision before purchasing or giving to your dog.....
Will do thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Yes. If your dog is eating his toys, that's a whole other issue which would require close supervision and digestible chews only.

We love Himalayan yak cheese chews in this house and will hold them for Peggy while she chews and we watch TV. Something to consider when your boy can have a more varied diet again.

Have you eliminated all household cleaning products and fragrances, including dog shampoos? (I'm sure you've tried everything at this point, but some people don't make the connection between these things and doggy discomfort.)

And for the anxiety, my mini mix responded wonderfully to routine! routine! routine! She was quite relaxed if she knew exactly what was expected of her at all times, and knew what was coming next. She especially loved having "jobs" to do.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Have you tried this one? I got this recently for Cleo because she kept chewing up plastic things around the house, eg, the cup-shaped thing that covers the toilet bolt, the weather-stripping on the storm door, the bird guard on our dryer vent, and even some hard plastic that covered brackets on one of our doggy gates. She seemed to get some stomach upset the last time i gave her yak cheese, so i had to find something hard enough but that she wouldn't break her teeth on. Since she seemed interested in plastic...we tried this-- it's held up, and she likes it: Hurley Dog Bone | West Paw, Inc.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
We got this ball for free from a local pet food store: Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Sport Soccer Ball Dog Toy, 5-in - Chewy.com

Can put kibble inside for some enrichment.

I had no idea the retail price until now (whoa) but it doesn't have a single tooth mark on it after about 2 months, maybe because the shape promotes play rather than gnawing? But it's also very tough. I see some similar reviews, though others are less positive. So hard to know what will work best for each individual dog...

The company does make other toys with the same magical, durable material.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts