Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking to my Mom (on the phone) about my dog at home (Buddy). She was telling me what a wimp he is. After we laughed about his scaredy cat ways I told her I think I found the breeder I want to use. Now first off, my Mom is so anti me getting a dog before I'm 50. I know they're a huge commitment and they definitely make your life way less care free but I want that! My Mom always says "What if you just wanted to pick up and take a trip some where, you wouldn't be able to do that!" My response is always, "since when have I EVER done that??" So anyway, I've made it clear that once I'm home and settled in a new place that I'm getting a dog. And when I look at apartments I won't ever consider places that don't allow large dogs. I think she's finally starting to accept it because I told her about the breeder and she was asking me questions instead of just changing the subject! She wanted to know where she's located, if she only breeds standards, what colors does she breed, etc. I was so excited! I want a dog when I move home but I dread doing something without my Mom's approval (I know, pathetic at 26 but I just love her so much)!

Sorry for the long winded post but I had to share. It was kind of a milestone for us. I've been talking about getting a dog for years and all I've ever been greeted with is her changing the subject or telling me how stupid I am to want that. Progress is good.

P.S. 115 days to go!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am excited for you! What a lucky poodle to find an owner so dedicated to welcoming one into her life!!! When the big day finally arrives, make sure you take lots of photos to share!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Tess! I will definitely takes tons of pics but I still have a ways to go, at least a year. The 115 day countdown is till I actually move back to Atlanta. Then I have to find a job and an apartment and get settled. But I'm so ready, I wish it would happen tomorrow. I think when the time actually comes I'll be in tears cause I'll be so happy!

·
Registered
593 Posts
That is a break through..I know when I got my first dog of my own my parents thought I was crazy..the old you need a dog like you need a hole in your head..when I got my 2nd dog 8 years later they started to understand that besides being part of my family they were also my hobby as by then I was into doing obedience and agility..now that #3 and #4 have been added in the last 4 years they are pretty resigned to the fact that I will have multiple dogs..LOL

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Locket (it's weird calling you that and not Locke, haha) I definitely think she'll just have to see the sweet cuddly thing and she'll be lost. When we got Buddy we went to the breeder to "just" meet the dogs and get a sense if standards were the right breed for us. Well they brought out Buddy and my Mom, a self proclaimed non dog person, fell in love and put a deposit down then and there. Now she sings him goofy made up songs and he "calls" her Nana. It cracks me up.

Debjen- I get that! I wish my Mom would see that I'd rather spend my time and money on a dog than stupid trips to Las Vegas or something like that. And it's my time and my money, so she should just be happy. But like I said, this conversation was a huge step in the right direction! Maybe she's coming around. And there's time to ease her into it slowly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lol Debjen I so see that situation happening with my own family later on :)
I'd been pining for my own dog for years, and as soon as we had our new we had our own home I was on to it. Didn't tell the parents 'till we picked him up. Then did a few other wee naughty things that would be met with disapproval but now I have a gorgeous wee family in our own country home, my plan worked all along and my parents love it :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm 31 and I still cringe at telling my mom things I know she will disagree with. It's silly when I'm married and pay my own bills and take care of my own dogs, but there it is.:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure I'll be the same way at 50! If my parents are still alive at that point (God willing). Even once they're gone, before I do anything, I'll always think "WWMPD" (What Would My Parents Do).

·
Registered
440 Posts
hey meghf, you're 26? I am too! But I've had my poodle for almost 7 years now
and I can tell you that while I was in college at the time (no I didn't live at home with the folks) my dad was so pissed at me for getting a dog b/c he was worried I wouldn't be able to take care of it (being a "poor college kid" and all) but honestly, I've always been able to take really good care of my dog and I've always made life choices that were best for both of us. And to be honest I've moved a few times and had to leave Ocsi with a friend for 3-6 months while things were getting worked out in my life. But these were trusted friends that took good care of him. (moving is very stressful for animals, so for example when I moved to Chicago, IL from Raleigh, NC I didn't move Ocsi up with me until I had already lived in my new apt for 3 months and was settled in.) You have to make the decision that is best for you, and sometimes parents just don't give you the green light for a while (my dad finally liked my dog after having him for 5 years! and my sister has had a poodle in his home for nearly 13 so go figure!)
go with your gut, parents are only human in the long run- they make mistakes sometimes too ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sparkle&Spunk, I agree 100%. But as much as I want to get a dog right now I know it's stupid with all the change that's coming my way this summer. So I'll wait till I'm settled and have an income again (I have one now but when I move home I'm going to go home without a new job set up, going to apply once I get down there) and then when the time is right it will be that much better because the only stress I'll have to worry about is the normal, puppy stress. And it will be that much better because I have to wait. I've grown out of instant gratification. So I'll be ok, I just hug every dog I meet for now! :)

P.S. Forgot to say I'm glad things worked out for you and Ocsi! It's awesome you had friends willing to take her for you for awhile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts