Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My standard, Reece, is constantly chasing squirrels. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but what can I expect if she actually catches one? I suspect she'd shake it (like she does her toys) and kill it. She is great pals with my two cats; might that make her less likely to murder the soft, fuzzy thing?

Super Moderator
So hard to say. I initially thought she was a ruthless killer, but lately Peggy has been very gentle with critters she finds on our property. They're all the creepy crawly type: Frogs, snakes, slugs, etc. They definitely don't move like squirrels, but she does sometimes chase the snakes and then abruptly backs off.

Have you ever used a flirt pole with Reece? The toy at the end of Peggy's is very squirrel-like, and she has to promptly release it for the fun to continue. Not sure if that would be better or worse for a real squirrel....

Edit: Do the cats ever run from her?

Registered
Poppy brought me the one and only baby rabbit she caught unhurt; Sophy let me take the first one, not a mark on it, but took care to kill and eat the second one well out of my reach. It's hard to say...

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
So hard to say. I initially thought she was a ruthless killer, but lately Peggy has been very gentle with critters she finds on our property. They're all the creepy crawly type: Frogs, snakes, slugs, etc. They definitely don't move like squirrels, but she does sometimes chase the snakes and then abruptly backs off.

Have you ever used a flirt pole with Reece? The toy at the end of Peggy's is very squirrel-like, and she has to promptly release it for the fun to continue. Not sure if that would be better or worse for a real squirrel....

Edit: Do the cats ever run from her?
I have not tried a flirt pole. The cats run from her if they're outside and they have learned to "stop and drop" if she's getting close. She's never gotten aggressive with them. (y)馃槏

Registered
Hard to tell, my poodle has a ton of prey drive, not much kill drive. Our other dog is a terrier, without much prey/chase drive, but a ton of kill drive. Really depends on the dog.

Registered
I'll never forget the day my standard poodle had a squirrel by the tail as the squirrel tried to climb a tree. The poodle only had about 1/2 inch of tail in her mouth, so the squirrel eventually pulled it out. That particular dog was very prey-driven and did away with many rats, possums, and squirrels. The shed where I stored horse feed was well protected from vermin!

Registered
20201012_091543.jpg
Happy just started taking interest in squirrels a few weeks ago. We have quite a few of them living in the back yard. Here's Happy on the watch this morning.

Registered
My standard, Reece, is constantly chasing squirrels. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but what can I expect if she actually catches one? I suspect she'd shake it (like she does her toys) and kill it. She is great pals with my two cats; might that make her less likely to murder the soft, fuzzy thing?
It entirely depends on the dog...some just like the chase and don't really do anything if they manage to catch something. Mine have very high prey drive and when they catch things, unfortunately, it doesn't usually end well....Both have killed birds, mice and moles in my yard and my younger one finally got and killed a squirrel this year. She was trying to bury it and when I went to get it from her she took it and ran:ROFLMAO: haha....I had to catch her and take it out of her mouth - she was not happy to give it up, no aggression because neither of them would dream of that, but she just didn't want to open her mouth so I had to pry it open LOL.....I have also managed to get them off a possum and woodchuck before they could do damage. We have very few outside cats in the neighborhood and those few have pretty much learned to stay out of my fenced yard because the few times ones have dropped in they have been seriously gone after....fortunately they were not caught:oops:

Registered
November.2017.053.jpg The brothers are complete opposites when it comes to hunting. Nike is hunt and kill while Wilson is "let's be friends".Nike has killed mice, voles, rats, squirrels, and possums. His first possum escaped by pretending to be dead. Nike was really angry when he went back to play with his "kill" and it was gone. After that little incident he made sure to give the possums some really mean shakes. Because of his intense prey drive we made sure to take the boys for rattlesnake avoidance training.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts