Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinion of this? Personally, a poodle is a poodle is a poodle. If they are all bred to the same standard, all shown to champion, all health tested, then i dont agree with charging one puppy from a litter for a different price then their brother/sister. It is gimicky, and i hate gimicks. I think a good breeder shouldnt charge more for a color just because it is popular. It really got me upset when i read on a breeders website for price that it depends on color and what is popular at the time! What is everyones take on this?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
If you read my thread you are going to know my take on this. I think it's ridiculous to ask more for a certain color and yes it does sound like a gimick especially if you are talking about partis. I have an opinion on people making profits on dogs and claiming they don't but that's just my opinion and it's probably not very popular. For sure if they are asking more for a color they are after profit.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Supply and demand.

Once more people start breeding X color/combo then it will be cheaper until then people get premium $.

Is it ridiculous yes... business yes. :/

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
if any breeder is charging puppies based on color I would not buy a dog from them period. IMO this is a BIG RED FLAG. They are either a BYB ( back yard breeder )or plan greedy because people will pay for a "rare color"

This same crap has gone on in pit bulls years ago rare blue nose pits for sale. These breeder where charge higher prices for the blue pups than any other color this goes for red nose pit bulls. If the parents are not health test and are CH then I am not going to waste my money on these "rare" colors

Red Standard poodles are suffering from this. People are charging $2000 for red puppies that are not even health tested fully or shown in a AKC

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think its ubsurd really to charge different prices for different colors and patterens.

I contacted a breeder about a black and white Parti with Tuxedo markings, told her how long I had been looking for a good Tux and that he had a nice pattern and how hard it is to find a nice even marked dog. When she wanted $1200 for him I had to say no, I almost said yes but I just did not have that kind of money to spend on a dog just for the color of its coat. Anyway about 2 weeks later she updates her site (after not going so since the pups were born and they were now 4 months old) and she jacked the price to $1800! I was pissed to say the least.

I also think its funny that so many breeders want so much more for brown and brown and white Poodles. I found one breeder who wanted $1500 for a brown parti but only $800 for a solid black/blue/silver from the same litter! A $700 difference for color.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I think its ubsurd really to charge different prices for different colors and patterens.

I contacted a breeder about a black and white Parti with Tuxedo markings, told her how long I had been looking for a good Tux and that he had a nice pattern and how hard it is to find a nice even marked dog. When she wanted $1200 for him I had to say no, I almost said yes but I just did not have that kind of money to spend on a dog just for the color of its coat. Anyway about 2 weeks later she updates her site (after not going so since the pups were born and they were now 4 months old) and she jacked the price to $1800! I was pissed to say the least.

I also think its funny that so many breeders want so much more for brown and brown and white Poodles. I found one breeder who wanted $1500 for a brown parti but only $800 for a solid black/blue/silver from the same litter! A $700 difference for color.
That is crazy ! My sister has went through the same thing when she was looking for Enzo all of the red puppies where like 1600k to 4k of a red that was not even health tested or the parents not shown or worked. ( show or worked it fine forgot to add that in last post) then the breeders had the nerve to say limited papers on the pups ! They do this so they wont loose business because if you buy the rare red from them with full papers you can start breeding them and charge a lower price taking them out of business.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Totally agreed that variable pricing is suspect. No reputable breeder that I have every spoken to (in any breed) charges more for colour, markings or sex.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sometimes reputable breeders do charge more for females, don't they? I've only had males but thought I remembered seeing on breeders' sites that the females were sometimes more.

Re charging more for the brown partis than the solids - that is really ridiculous! Plus you know those solids are probably carrying recessive genes for partis. Doesn't matter if you don't intend to breed them yourself, but as KPoos said, who knows what they are breeding.

Personally I would stay away from anyone who was breeding partis in the first place, but this is a question of taste and whether or not AKC registration is important to a buyer.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I don't agree with charging more for the sex of the puppy or the color. Yes, it is a business ploy but I don't agree with it and won't use it.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
There are breeders who breed blacks whites and browns.
The breeders who also breed browns and whom I know and am familiar with do charge more for their browns. From what I heard a black or white puppy (regardless of sex) costs anwhere between $1500-$1800 in Ontario. But if that breeder also has browns then they ask for $2,000 and up for the brown pups. The latter applies to silvers, apricots and reds as well.. They fetch more money for some breeders.

I dont believe that charging different prices for males or females is ethical or even logical.
I ask the same price for my females and males.
Any breeder who puts prices on their website, I would stay away from.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I agree 100%. I charge the same for male or female and if/when we have the odd litter of blacks or apricots, they will be the same price as my reds. I am charging about $1,000 less for my pups than several of the other red breeders in Ontario, and most of the others do not health test and have no testing whatsoever in their backgrounds. I do not think it is right to charge these ridiculous prices just because there are people who will pay it.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I don't know any breeders who charge differently for color around here, but I DO know a very reputable breeder who charges more for female than male. His prices are not ridiculous though. He charges the low end of average for males and the high end of average for females. He breeds browns and blacks and charges the same for both colors. While I don't necessarily agree with charging differently, he is the PCA breeder referral for the area, an active judge, has been breeding for 30+ years, and is the director of the PCA foundation. Therefore, I still have a high amount of respect for him.

I guess, if everything else looks good, I would not rule out a breeder because of this.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
ChocolateMillie:

I agree with your statement if everything else looks ok than you should not rule out this breeder .

But... I wonder what is the explanation or reason behind any breeder charging more for females than males. If both go on NON breeding contracts than what's the difference? They are not going to be used for breeding so why charge more for a female than a male.. .
Have you asked this breeder for his reasons why he chooses to charge different prices

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
ChocolateMillie:

I agree with your statement if everything else looks ok than you should not rule out this breeder .

But... I wonder what is the explanation or reason behind any breeder charging more for females than males. If both go on NON breeding contracts than what's the difference? They are not going to be used for breeding so why charge more for a female than a male.. .
Have you asked this breeder for his reasons why he chooses to charge different prices
I have not spoken to him directly about this, but my sister is on a waiting list and he explained to them the reasoning is supply and demand. Females are wanted more so he charges more for them.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I suppose it does make some sense..

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I have not spoken to him directly about this, but my sister is on a waiting list and he explained to them the reasoning is supply and demand. Females are wanted more so he charges more for them.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but I suppose it does make some sense..
Well....... sorry but with all due respect to this breeder, I have never heard of this reason before and I have been breeding and selling pets for 15 years.

As a breeder I would be very reluctant to give this reason to any of my clients. I just dont see the logic in it and if anyone can explain to me otherwise, I will be willing to stand corrected.

Are you saying this breeder is a member of PCA ??

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I do not agree with charging more for sexes or because a puppy is a darker color etc...

But good bred reds and browns can cost more which I do understand since the breeder has worked very hard to get their line in tip top shape.

The puppy I bought was cheaper because of her color not being allowed in her country. But the rest of the litter mates who where correct color where all the same price and it did not matter about the sexes.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts

Well....... sorry but with all due respect to this breeder, I have never heard of this reason before and I have been breeding and selling pets for 15 years.

As a breeder I would be very reluctant to give this reason to any of my clients. I just dont see the logic in it and if anyone can explain to me otherwise, I will be willing to stand corrected.

Are you saying this breeder is a member of PCA ??

Yes, a member of PCA, an active judge and director of the Poodle Club of America Foundation.

Disclaimer: Since I did not speak to the breeder directly on this particular topic (I have spoken to him before, though), I guess there is always the possibility that my sister misunderstood what he told them. I thought it was weird too...especially because I find this breeder to be quite impressive. This made me scratch my head a little. The only other possibility is that the price difference was for limited vs unlimited, but IMO the higher price seemed a bit low for unlimited! (higher price was around 1600 or 1800). I could be completely wrong here though!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Roxy:
I totally agree that breeders who work with color should charge more for their dogs, silvers, reds, apricots, browns I fully agree should cost more than the blacks and whites, however.. I do not agree that females should fetch more money than males as there is absolutely NO logic in charging a pet client the difference.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
perhaps the reasoning for differences in prices between the genders is that females being more sought after as pets (?? It does seem that way, but not hugely so??) they are making males more appealing too by keeping their price lower??? I don't know... Personally I want a boy for my next one anyway!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts