Poodle Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Let's not forget that there are lots of dye jobs and hair extensions on black (and other color) dogs in conformation rings.
Dye jobs? Really? ... ;)

I will tell you that it's primarily black dogs (i.e. dogs who are supposed to be black but are turning blue or just bad black) who are dyed. Dyeing a standard poodle in show coat is a miserable job. DAMHIKT.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I love the color, it has a silver sheen to it!
On dye jobs- Gracie has a mis mark but otherwise is a very nice poodle. As a puppy, I was bringing her to a groomer who breeds and shows poodles. She remarked on what a nice pup she was and I mentioned her mismark. Her response was “we can make that go away.” I just replied that I wasn’t interested in conformation, but it made me wonder how prevalent the practice is.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
On dye jobs- Gracie has a mis mark but otherwise is a very nice poodle. As a puppy, I was bringing her to a groomer who breeds and shows poodles. She remarked on what a nice pup she was and I mentioned her mismark. Her response was “we can make that go away.” I just replied that I wasn’t interested in conformation, but it made me wonder how prevalent the practice is.
It's not all that widespread. Probably it is mostly done to black dogs whose coats are sunburned. Dyeing a standard poodle is a huge amount of work.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think it used to be done more often, mostly with blacks that were a bit grizzled or blue. Now they just show them blue and don't try to hide it under black dye. Some will always dye but it is a real pain to do and you can smell it for quite awhile. I don't know of anyone doing it to cover up white spots. I have seen people dyeing nose leather, mostly on whites with incomplete pigment.

·
Registered
349 Posts
She’s a lovely colour!
At what age did you notice becky was changing colour?

Diva comes from a blue dam and black sure. I keep looking for signs of colour change. She has a few white hairs and looks abit of a dusty black inside the longer areas of coat when it’s parted. She 15 months old.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I keep wondering if Annie will go blue. Her mom is a bad black, her dad is white. At 16 months, she keeps getting more white hairs, and as I shaved her down, I noticed almost silvery hairs at her ears. She had a lot of white hairs in the bottom of her paws as a puppy, and occasionally a brownish cast to her fur, but I had decided I was overreacting.

I love the colour of the blues though. Beckie almost looks ombre right now.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
She’s a lovely colour!
At what age did you notice becky was changing colour?

Diva comes from a blue dam and black sure. I keep looking for signs of colour change. She has a few white hairs and looks abit of a dusty black inside the longer areas of coat when it’s parted. She 15 months old.
I started to notice it a little before last summer. Beckie was then about 20-22 months old. She always had a few white hair, but I thought It was just guard hair or that she was a bad black. Now, these white hair are more of a silver color.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
At 16 months, she keeps getting more white hairs, and as I shaved her down, I noticed almost silvery hairs at her ears. She had a lot of white hairs in the bottom of her paws as a puppy, and occasionally a brownish cast to her fur,
Exactly the same for Beckie ! The silver on the ears is very pretty. There‘s a good chance Annie will be blue, genetics permitting (don’t know about that part).

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I’ve always loved Beckie as a black tpoo, but now that she’s turning blue, this chang in colour is gorgeous. Of course I have a silver so I’m fond of the fading colours.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts