Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I mentioned in a previous thread, it looks like we'll be adopting a 2 year old spoo at the end of May. Unfortunately, we REALLY don't like her name and want to change it. Is this an awful idea? The name is just so NOT us. Would you tell the previous owners, or just deal with it after? Is there any reason we need to let the breeder know? Has anyone done this and have any tips to make it a smooth transition for the dog?

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
So, as I mentioned in a previous thread, it looks like we'll be adopting a 2 year old spoo at the end of May. Unfortunately, we REALLY don't like her name and want to change it. Is this an awful idea? The name is just so NOT us. Would you tell the previous owners, or just deal with it after? Is there any reason we need to let the breeder know? Has anyone done this and have any tips to make it a smooth transition for the dog?
I think you could try to name her something that sounds close like Chloe to Zoe just so it does not confuse her. And I would call her both together like one name for a while, then drop the old name. Personally if someone took one of my dogs and gave it a loving home, I wouldn't care if they changed her name or what they called her.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
oh meh, just change the name! The dog doesn't have an identity attached to their name like we do, their name is just a cue that you're talking to them and to pay attention! Changing it is 100% fine, and plenty of people do it all the time with NO problems!!!! Doesn't even need to be sounding the same or anything, just give them a few days to get used to it and you'll never look back. :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I had "nicknames" for all of my pets, and they responded to them! And, they didn't sound like their names, either. Somehow, Chelsea became Beebo, Harley was Shnookie-pants, and Meishka was Bum-Bums. (Don't know where the nicknames came from, but all of my pets get one eventually!!!) LOL

·
Registered
681 Posts
Captain came with the moniker BeauBeau (blech!). It took about two weeks, but his name is now changed with no problem. Their name is a command, and I wouldn't even think twice about telling the previous owners about the name change. The breeder still calls Captain, Beau, when we talk, but to us, he is not Beau at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! The name she came with was Chanel, and it's just too "frou-frou" for us. The only name I could think of that rhymed was Mabel (and then, not a very good rhyme!!) and we still aren't fans!

On the table now are Alice (my fave), Lila (because it means dark-haired beauty) and Molly (my husband's fave).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Whenever we rescued/fostered our greyhounds we always gave them a new name rather than keep the racing name - and never had a problem with them learning it.

As for the names being considered I like Molly - but for some reason I always find M names appealing. All the choices are good though!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I aquired 3 dogs...2 of them got name changes. It doesn't take hardly anytime at all. This latest one, I am not keeping. I am going to re-train her from square one....and I HATED her name. "little girl"...Like you couldn't come up with anything better. So in honor of my friend Amy's little dog that passed away suddenly a few months ago, I named her Shoo Shoo....she's a shih tzu, so it fits her perfectly. She's such a little brat...here's her photo

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Shoo Shoo is adorable! I love the purple in her tail and on her head. What did you use?

I aquired 3 dogs...2 of them got name changes. It doesn't take hardly anytime at all. This latest one, I am not keeping. I am going to re-train her from square one....and I HATED her name. "little girl"...Like you couldn't come up with anything better. So in honor of my friend Amy's little dog that passed away suddenly a few months ago, I named her Shoo Shoo....she's a shih tzu, so it fits her perfectly. She's such a little brat...here's her photo

·
Registered
225 Posts
*Back on topic*

I agree with everyone else about changing the name. I would totally, although Chanel is cute.:cute: We rescued a boxer named "Sissy":doh: and changed it to Brandy with no problem at all. She learned it in about a week.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We recently changed our poodle's name, and it was easy. We just did all the normal things you would do with a puppy and said his new name A WHOLE STINKIN' LOT, and he transitioned easily, as well as now thinks the name "Miles" means "COME HERE I HAVE TREATS!". We ended up not naming him Miles, but he sure loves it when I say it!

We have two dogs with 2 syllable names and 2 dogs with 1 syllable names. The 2 syllable ones are more catchy, it seems. Our greyhound's name is Heath, but we all call him Heefy. We changed Pierre/Perry (poodle) to Tate, but most of the time he gets called Poodle or PooPoo (I know... I'm a bad mommy). All of our dogs have nicknames, so their real names are kind of just a formality. They answer to them along with 2 or 3 nicknames a piece.

On the former owner front... if you're keeping in contact with them, I would tell them after you have had her for a month or so... and maybe just in casual conversation say that she/newname is doing well and is very loved at your house.

I don't really see a reason to tell the breeder, per se... unless you'll be in contact with them a bunch, either.

Whichever... congratulations!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Shoo Shoo is so cute!

There's this Sandra Dee/Bobby Darin movie called If A Man Answers and her character's name is Chantal... her American dad calls her Charlotte and her French mom calls her ChuChu (shoo shoo). So I love that nickname/name!

I'm an old soul, lol...

Anyway, love the dye job, too!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Duncan was Alfalfa to his breeders. I'm not sure I'm in love with the name Duncan either to be honest but it stuck.
I looked at a rescue recently, her name was Tilly, if we took her on she would have become Pippa
Dad has boxers and came out with his new rescue, that they've named Roxy. She was a Fanta.

I was going to say I didn't think it was a great idea....seems now I do!:doh::)

·
Registered
18 Posts
As others have said, you shouldn't have any problem changing her name. If she doesn't respond at first, use her former name to get her attention but praise and reward her using her new name. She should catch on very quickly.

Heck, I've changed the names of dogs that I'VE named. I once had a Long Coat Chihuahua who I named (Name of Breeder)'s Lady Alene. I'd intended on calling her Lady, which is how I started out, but by her first birthday I was calling her Bug.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Think of all the strays and abandoned dogs that end up in shelters... the workers won't have a CLUE what their name used to be - so they pick a name... That's how my Hannah received her name... She was guesstimated by the vet to be about 3 years old when she was picked up by animal control as a stray - no one ever claimed her from the pound so our shelter rescued her and a volunteer named her Hannah. I don't know what her name was for the first 3 years of her life (and apparently SHE doesn't remember or care now either) She's totally my Hannah Banana and if I even THINK her name in my head, she's by my side!! :)

Good luck! (oh, and for some reason, out of the names you mentioned, I like Lila the best - any of them would be fine if said with love!)

·
Registered
336 Posts
The name she came with was Chanel, and it's just too "frou-frou" for us. The only name I could think of that rhymed was Mabel (and then, not a very good rhyme!!) and we still aren't fans! On the table now are Alice (my fave), Lila (because it means dark-haired beauty) and Molly (my husband's fave).
I love Chanel, but I'm a frou-frou type of person. I do like Lila too.

Pick something that you love and fits the dogs personality.

I wouldn't tell the breeder you're changing the dogs name. That's just me.

I have had many rescues. They pick up their name in a day of so really fast. My newest is Guido. He caught on right away. I sat in front of him on the floor I said,"Guido is your name." and pointed to his nose. Then in the same motion from his nose I pointed to my nose and said, "My name is mommy." I did this over and over with eye contact. I did it enough that he got my drift and made a bond with me. Then I just repeated his name, new name over and over non-stop throughout the day.

Today I was at a persons house to give their dog REIKI. I'm a Reiki Master and their dogs name was Molly and she was the sweetest little dog. Cute name Molly!

Can you call her Molly-Alice?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts