Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been talking for a bit about changing one of the dogs' names.

I know that it probably sounds unnecessary, however... a dog's name is a command. They aren't overly attached to it like we are. And it has been killing me for quite some time because our dog's name doesn't fit said dog. (I'm not mentioning which one it is until the time we choose a new name. Because we might not. I have the last word in it, seeing as it isn't A's dog... it is 1 of my 3.)

So what do you think of re-naming dogs? I put this here because it isn't DIRECTLY poodle related (but could be? lol... ah, nope, not telling which.)

I would say the biggest problem is that I can't think of what DOES fit the dog. But the current name does NOT. I like several different names, but can't find THE ONE.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
According to my book on adopting a rescue dog, it's absolutely no problem! The new name can just be taught in a similar way to any new command and off you go. I think we have more attachment to their names than they do. :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yeah just look at it like this, if you got a rescue the chances of the dog in rescue having it's original name are pretty slim. They are pretty adaptable so I wouldn't think it's a big problem.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking as well... Thanks for confirming :)

I mean, all of the dogs are rescues, and have surely had other names before these, so I didn't see it being a problem. All of them have caught on to their names quickly... I have a patented way to do it, lol.

Again, though, it is killing me to have not found the perfect name.

I would be interested to hear others' opinions as well! :)

Edit: just saw your post KP! But it is exactly my sentiments :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've changed a few dog's names before, and they all took to it well.
Passion4poodles has one of my dogs, I had named her Roxie, and when she got her, she named her Kiara, so its not like it even has to sound like the old name, Ki-ki listens just fine.
ETA weather its re-naming or giving a first name, I sit with the dog and say name, give treat a few times, then they associate their name with food.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I think it's absolutely fine!

All their name is, is a cue for them to look at you, or give their attention to you.

Saffy came with the name "Connie" *shudder*

I just don't think it suits a Poodle! Anyway, Saffy wasn't my choice (short for Saffron), and I have toyed with the idea of changing it, but I really can't be bothered trying to explain to the hundreds of ppl at breed/agility/obedience shows that her name is now *insert name here*, while they stare at me like I'm completely bonkers!!

Also, It only took her a day to adjust to her new name,

we just kept interchanging Connie and Saffy until we fazed out Connie

Nowadays she doesn't even look when I say Connie.

Think of it like having two cues for one behaviour

i.e. Both Matt and Down mean lie down etc.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Changing a name is pretty easy once you've decided on one! All of my dogs have at least 3 names each, and they know them all! For example, Lucia (pronounced Lu CHEE Ah) is AKA: Luchie Lu, LuLu, Baby, Little Bit, and Land Shark! lol

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Mine responds equally to the following:

Teddy
Ted
Goofball
Sweet Pea
Sweetie
Puppy
Poodle (sometimes pronounced like "pew-dull" LOL)
Mickey (the cat's name) :D

I could easily choose one of those as his name if I wanted to. Maybe I'll just call the cat and the dog "Mickey" and save my breath. As if. LOL

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I've done it before, sometimes with older dogs that are being re-homed I sometimes stick with original name unless it is that *bad* lol!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
we changed Mitchell's name. He used to be Michael, but that's my dad's name and my mom was getting frustrated having to specify Michael the dog or Michael the human :p

We tried to choose a name that was similar to Michael, but it's doesn't really matter. I find changing names is harder on the humans than the dogs! "Michael...I mean Mitchell!"

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
When i first read it I thought it was not a good idea - but after reading everyones response, I agree - I don't think it's a big deal - and those that mentioned their dogs had several names, this is true, mine all do as well. I like what Locket said about finding something similar it might make it easier on you guys to adjust:)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well... now that I know I'm not going to get flamed, lol...

This thread was more about helping justify changing the dog's name... I was going back and forth about it, but it helps having a forum of people to come to for help and suggestions!

I had justified it to A with the simple fact that TQ was a stray from the pound, and I'm sure that her name wasn't Kali like the pound named her.

The dog I want to change the name of is... Perry. A and I are the only ones that call him Perry, as is. Everyone else calls him Pierre, and much to my dismay, my brother tells everyone that it is his name is what it is, because it is similar to his name. (Small background... my brother and I DO NOT get along. At all.) It also doesn't fit him. Pierre or Perry. It's not him. I've already started the search for a new name, hopefully I can find something!

We were looking for a name that at least started with a P, but I'm not sure about that, either. The search continues!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Good luck coming up with a name for your kid!! :) I agree with most everyone that names can be changed without problem in most cases. My Hannah Banana was an adult pound rescue so her name was unknown to us. A volunteer at the shelter named her Hannah and she learned it quickly. I've always contended that it doesn't matter what you call your dog as long as their name is said with love! :love:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
good luck comming up with a new name. The few times that I have wanted to change a dog's name I have been unable to. Not because of the dog really, as long as you're talking to them most of them don't care what you say really lol. I've had a couple of pets that had names when I got them and the names they had I didn't care much for but they just sort of stuck if you know what I mean. There was no changing them. Like my little Bob the turtle, I was one of the only ones who called him Bob. To everyone else he was Franklin. LoL SOOOO we decided his full name was Franklin Bob the worlds most expensive free turtle. Bob I guess was his middle name lol.

One of my tibbies got stuck with the name Merlin by accident. Note to self, don't flip a coin naming a dog. Another one came with the name Pia (as in Pia Zadora - and I dont even really know who that is, just repeating what he breeder and my mother and a lot of other people said when they learned her name) Pia REALLY got stuck with her name, nothing in the world worked for her. Thankfully I was able to stop her breeder from registering her as cornucopia (litter was born over thanksgiving). Her brother was "feast you eyes" so I named Pia, "Eat your Heart Out". I told the lady not to dare send me a puppy registered as cornucopia or I would be forced to call her "corny" and well we don't want that lol. Wish I could have come up with a better call name for her but Pia it was. She was a pushy little into everything type dog too. Ruled the household from day one. My mother often said that Pia stood for pain in the @$$.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts