Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of respect for him. He has a great deal of proven results. I cannot understand why some think his methods of training are mean. They have been proven to work.

I personally use some of his techniques, not always that well, but I have recently seen a show about dogs and their reaction to people coming to the door or when their owners come home....I have some work to do in this area.

http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/story.html?id=2460504

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I also like and respect Cesar Millan!! I do Parelli Natural Horse*man*ship with my horses and there are people who LOVE Pat Parelli (like ME!!) and there are people who can't stand to look at the guy - I believe that the more naturally you can communicate with ANY animal (dog, horse, human) the more effective you'll be! These men have spent decades, observing, comparing, noting the language of their chosen mammal and they are unarguably effective in their chosen fields.

I use Cesar methods, too, because they make sense to me AND to my pack. While I get frequent questions from friends about why their dogs are doing this, or how can they stop them from doing that, or whatever; I'm having a happy, complete relationship with my pack! The one thing that some people don't understand is that Cesar does not claim to be a dog TRAINER - he rehabilitates dogs and he teaches the HUMAN what to see, what to look for, what to do!! I like him!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I am also a Ceasar fan. I use his methods too and they work and I don't see anything mean about it. The dog understands it and I am pack leader.

I used Clinton Anderson training with two unbroken horses and was quite happy with the results. One of them was an alpha mare at 13 years of age and was difficult but his methods worked and she ended up my to be my best off-trail horse of the three I had.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I haven't really looked into Ceasar... but I LOVE Parelli! I'm a convert too. I didn't used to like because I felt like he was in it to make money and not so much for the people and horses... but I now know that isn't true! Honestly if you don't have the right equipment it can make it VERY difficult to communicate effectively with your horse. The right equipment makes all the difference!!

A gal that I sold two of my miniature horses to keep them at the same boarding stable as Jillian Micheals from The Biggest Loser. I guess that Ceasar went there to tape an episode and used one of the my gals minis just for fun :)

Here's the pictures she took and shared with me!

This is her little stallion, Christopher. He is the husband of the two mares she bought from me...

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WoW - I seen this episode!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I saw that episode with Jillian - it was great! Her horse is GORGEOUS!! I've been following Parelli since 2005 and I will never go back!! I've had such great results with Pat's methods - especially learning about the horsenalities!! I've been to several tour stops over the years and actually spent 2 weeks down at his Florida International Study Center in the fall of 2008. It was AWESOME!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have to say that i do not like Ceaser, and i think that some of his "methods" are going to get some dog or owner seriously injured (and ive heard of some that were).

I agree with some of his basic principles (like calm authority, more exercise, more training), but i dont like alot of his training methold (esp for aggressive dogs!).

I am much more a Victoria Stillwell fan!!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I have to say that i do not like Ceaser, and i think that some of his "methods" are going to get some dog or owner seriously injured (and ive heard of some that were).
That's why on every single episode of his show, there's a disclaimer that tells people to NOT ATTEMPT THESE TECHNIQUES WITHOUT CONSULTING A PROFESSIONAL... If someone who isn't familiar with dogs thinks they can watch his show and get the same results as he does (especially with aggressive dogs) they will probably get hurt... That doesn't mean his methods are flawed - it means the people who got hurt didn't 1.) listen to the disclaimer, and/or 2.) didn't employ the method correctly in the first place... IMO

I agree with some of his basic principles (like calm authority, more exercise, more training), but i dont like alot of his training methold (esp for aggressive dogs!).
First, Cesar never calls himself a dog trainer (although I think he could kick butt as a trainer - that's not what he advertises that he does) And, I've found, with my own pack, that calm assertive behavior is like MAGIC (of course, none of my dogs are super-alpha or aggressive at all) I've been around a lot of different dogs (I managed a humane society for 4 years) and some were aggressive - I'd have to say that my common sense made me realize that I didn't have the skills or innate ability to handle the aggressive dogs with the amount of assertive energy that Cesar uses - in most (maybe all) of the situations when we had highly aggressive dogs, they were euthanized anyway so I didn't get a lot of experience with really bad aggression.

I am much more a Victoria Stillwell fan!!
I like "It's Me or the Dog", too. Victoria does a little more on the actual dog TRAINING side than Cesar does - it's not exactly the same thing, but equally as entertaining!!

I'm just glad there are these shows out there so that people learn that there are ways to get help with fixable issues with their pets - I also watch a lot of the Animal Cops shows on Animal Planet - It brings back a lot of memories from my shelter days. Even in our small city of Bismarck, ND, we had our share of animal neglect, abuse, abandonment. I like watching the stories where the abuser actually gets prosecuted and gets fines/jail time!! I just read a news story that said North Dakota is ranked as the WORST state for animal rights. :( It's because we're SOOOO rural and agricultural and our legislators aren't willing to pass animal protection laws just in case they'd offend the farmers. :fish:

·
Super Moderator
1,813 Posts
I think a really top notch trainer can use a number of different methods and get good results. The reason they are a top notch trainer is because they have a level of perceptiveness and a sense of timing the rest of us don't. My question is, what happens when a mere mortal like me tries to use a big name trainer's techniques without having the BNT's god given natural instincts? Do these techniques put you in a position where you or your animal can get hurt if you misread the situation and screw up?

I think a lot of people feel both Millan and Parelli fail the safe-for-idiots test. Someone with above average animal savvy can practice the techniques with good results. Unfortunately, truly incompetent people tend not to recognize they're in over their head. Misjudging the animal you are handling - whether you are riding an insufficiently trained horse with a halter and two lead ropes, or trying an alpha roll on a dog with fear aggression issues - is going to get you hurt and set back the animal's training.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm a big Cesar fan.. love the pics with Jillian, haven't seen that episode yet! I thought I'd seen them all!! We've pretty much used all Cesar's methods with Rogan and it's working out great :) He's a very easy dog to train IMO... or is it the way we're training him, makes it easy for him to understand us? who knows :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think Cesar's basic methods are OK but as another forum member said "not idiot proof". He gets ridiculed here in England for using "Shh" as a sound to distract dogs from doing something he does not want. What they don't remember is that he said that sound was what his mother made when she disapproved of what he did as a boy. You can use any sound or word, so long as you are consistent. I especially like the 1-10 level of aggression/noise etc. I have toy poodles and one in particular is aggressive on the lead when strange dogs approach. If you don't catch her at 1, then you have lost the battle as she winds herself up big style. Having said the above, I use some methods of Victoria Stillwell and any other trainer that I think shows some common sense.

Going on to Pat Parrelli, a friend in America gave me a book and a video tape of Pat when he first came to the notice of the general public - about 11 years ago, as I was backing my young horse at the time. He was a real cowboy then and very tongue tied but full of super information. I used the 7 games on Dennis and a nicer horse you couldn't wish for. I'm 4ft10" and he is 16.2hh so he has to be good for me to handle. Pat also gives us ways to be with our horses without having to ride. Here in England at the moment, the horses have been standing in the stables for 5 weeks as the snow and ice have prevented them even getting to the fields.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I think what most people fail to realise is that Cesar's methods are more about training people and breaking bad habits that we fall into to the detriment of our animals. It really isn't about training the dog--it's about undoing years of damage caused by humans.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think what most people fail to realise is that Cesar's methods are more about training people and breaking bad habits that we fall into to the detriment of our animals. It really isn't about training the dog--it's about undoing years of damage caused by humans.
I agree with this - which is likely why trainers/or so called trainers don't always agree because the perceived training does not follow thru in their eyes??-

Cesar's shows have saved marriages, helped the handi-capped, tought addicts how to transform their anxiety/triggers into their dogs being calm and obedient. LOVE HIM:)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've said this before, I think humans try to humanize their animals. They try to fill empty nests, they try to replace the loss of a loved one, and they try to get love from an animal when animals do not feel that emotion. We want them to be what they aren't and that's what causes many behavioral problems. On top of that people just buy whatever dog looks pleasing to their eye and don't research the breed requirements. If a dog needs a firm handler like a GSD or a doberman then that needs to be considered before purchase. If the dog needs a job, don't buy it if you live in an apartment and then wonder later why the dog has issues. I also think that some people's personalities don't match the dogs' and they can easily get over on them and assert pack leadership because there is none with the human. That's when Cesar comes along and says you've got to be more assertive with this animal and it changes the person's life for the better.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Personally, I am not a huge fan of some of his more particular approaches, but I agree with his ideas. Exercise, discipline, and consistency, etc. I also highly respect HIM as a person and a trainer. I used to think he was an arrogant jerk who was only in it for the money, but time has shown that he is very open and understanding, willing to admit his mistakes and work to improve, etc. I really do respect him even if I don't always like the fact that his "methods" get misinterpreted and overused by the general public who have no business using his more assertive methods on the average dog.

I'm also a bit of a Victoria Stillwell fan, I like her methods as well. I really like bits and pieces of both of their training, but I tend to like the less confrontational techniques.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have grown to like Victoria Stillwell also! :)

I dig Ceasar, but I agree, a lot of people have no business trying to use methods without the proper experience.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have just seen too many of Ceasers episodes (when i can stand to watch them) where the main component of his "training" is flooding. I saw a show where this bulldog would go after skateboards, balls, bikes, etc when on a walk. Well Ceaser took the dog out and had kids go past with all these things, and he had the dog on a slip lead. The dog was strangling himself on the end of the leash trying to go after all these things. The poor dog was blue at one point. When he physically exhaused himself and layed down Ceaser proclaimed him as "cured". :rolffleyes::doh:
Another where a Dane was scared of slippery floors. All he did was make him walk over them again again while being dragged. I could go on and on.

Also people dont really adhere to the "dont try this at home" part! That is really just there so he doesnt get sued. You can call him a "non-trainer" all you like, but he still has to train the dog so he can show the owners how. All trainers work this way! You dont go to an obedience class and hand the leash off. They show you how to train your dog.

I never recommend him to anyone and cant stand to watch his shows. I find it very funny to watch people "shh" their dogs all over the store though! :bird: Dont get me started on BarkBusters either!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I have actually NEVER seen an episode of his show because we don't get it with our cable plan. I have also never read his book.

From what I've heard, though, I appreciate that he gets owners to take charge and stop babying their dogs. You have probably guess by now that this is my modus operandi.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts