Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here certified with the NDGAA? I still attend workshops but I am not certified. Worshops include non-sporting, sporting and terriers and the hands on classes teach you how to groom correctly. I have improved so much but the bulk of my grooming involved shaves, de-sheds. I respect all the CMG's because they have really EARNED the title of certified master groomer. if I wanted to find a good groomer, I would ask if they ARE certified. They usually display a plaque or sign with the Barber Pole/English Saddle poodle on it on the front door or yellow page ad.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Well we don't have NDGAA here, but we DO have an NZ grooming association (NDGANZ) which is run and assessed by groomers who have done a lot of training in america (not sure what certification they've all done, but the president at least is a CMG)

I'm currently into my 3rd year of my certification now; I've done my gundogs (aka sporting) and terrier exams, this year is the non-sporting (exam is in Aug) with next year being my final year (the masters exam) making me an NZ master groomer once I'm done.

I can see myself still going to all the workshops and classes in the future though, despite having sat and passed them already; ya just learn so much, even going back over them! Especially as different people will be sitting their exams then, so they'll have different points of view and ask questions I'd have never thought of etc. I don't think I'll ever be finished learning to groom...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well, I'm not certified, but don't think I'm that bad of a groomer :) Honestly, being certified doesn't MAKE you a better groomer, however, I do believe that the dedication it takes to get a LEGITIMATE certification can make you a better groomer. Some organizations make becoming certified WAY to easy, heck, even Petsmart groomers claim they are certified because they attended the Academy thru them.

I'm NOT knocking becoming certified, but until there is some uniformity or licensing requirements (for the profession), then being certified doesn't carry an OFFICIAL meaning. Think of it this way, being CERTIFIED means you've earned a certificate for achieving something. With this in mind, I can print my apprentice a certificate when she completes her training and she can claim she's a certified groomer. Now that being said, would it make her a better groomer because she had it? NO! Would people ASSUME she was because of it? YES! I feel that all the efforts we put into becoming certified have lost their true meaning because of how the public perceives a groomer being "certified" and without any universal set standards, it really can mean NOTHING if there's no standards.

Personally, I'd love to become certified, but it's very hard for me to get away and most certification sites are 1000's of miles away and I can't be gone from home for days (personal family life limits). Not to mention the THOUSANDS of dollars it would cost for travel, hotel, tests, meals, etc. I will say, I DO study, watch video's, read, etc and perhaps one day (if I live long enough, lol) I'll try my hand at getting certified, but I doubt that I will live long enough to see groomers becoming united and regulated, making our profession, PROFESSIONAL!

Finally, I admire all those who have sought or are currently seeking certification through one of the 3 or 4 major grooming organizations (here in the us/others abroad). They're TOUGH and they ought to be! Much luck to all of you and my hat's off to ya!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
hear hear cameo! I am of two minds about 'certification' as well, cos it really can mean nothing to have passed someones test and gotten a certificate! There's one place in particular in Australia that I have qualms with (there's no groomer TRAINING here in NZ; you'd have to go to Australia to get training outside of an apprenticeship really) who, I kid you not, has this on their website "You can learn how to become a pet stylist in 10 days!"
:doh:

But in saying that, I'm sooo proud of *my* certificates, and I'm very very much looking forward to being the only certified Master Groomer in my city after next year!!! lol

·
Registered
575 Posts
who, I kid you not, has this on their website "You can learn how to become a pet stylist in 10 days!"
:doh:

But in saying that, I'm sooo proud of *my* certificates, and I'm very very much looking forward to being the only certified Master Groomer in my city after next year!!! lol
OH MY LORD!!! That's all we need around here, rofl. How in the WORLD can you learn to groom (not to mention becoming a pet stylist) in 10 days? That's the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard, LMAO

FD, I truely admire you and you very well SHOULD be proud of your accomplishments :) I'm proud of my college scores and GPA, my degree in animal care and all my participation certificates (hehe) for attending grooming seminars (even tho they are ONLY for participation). We work hard to learn and achieve and while we're not doctors, lawyers, or what-not, we've worked our behinds off to get where we are just the same. Certified or not, there is still a lot to be proud of :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts