Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of dogs on here can do really amazing things. I'm so impressed. We are working on the basics though. I'm writing this down so I can remember the small wins. Today we had 1.5

The first win:
We have been working on Noodle trying to entertain himself. This morning, he was tethered near the basket where we keep his toys. I put his breakfast down in a snuffle mat but he isn't hugely food motivated and ate only a little before he walked away. I was in the kitchen area and didn't hear anything from him so I walked over wondering what I'd find. He'd taken his blanket and a bully stick out of the basket and was lying on the blanket, quietly chewing it. And he looked and me and just kept going. WIN. It probably lasted about 8 minutes or so but still a win.

The half win:
We've been working on loose leash outside. We are making progress but one issue is that when we walk with my son, my son thinks a slow relaxed walk is cruel and unusual punishment so he is always darting ahead, climbing things etc. Noodle goes nuts trying to catch him. So today we were walking and I took a small handful of treats. I told my son to run as far as he could in my sight and then back and I treated Noodle as he did. He strained at the leash initially and whined but then settled down and took some treats. The half part is that while I was focusing on the dog and (making sure my boy was in sight), I didn't see two little boys come up and want to pet Noodle. They ended up interrupting my practice because he forgot about my son to meet some new people. But, in a way, that's its own practice. At the end, I was happy, my kiddo was happy, and Noodle was happy.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
I have always believed in celebrating and reliving the small wins. They carry you forward to the big ones. You and Noodle are doing great!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Two wins.
Are you using a long leash? I would have him on a long leash, call him to heel, then let him catch up with the lad.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
All training is a series of small wins. You're on the right path, going in the right direction. Feel super proud of these wins. They are so important.
I agree, it's important to celebrate every step, especially in the beginning when sometimes training seems overwhelming.

I also liked how you were challenging Noodle to walk near you while your son - a major distraction, ran ahead. Good work.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I agree, celebrate those small wins as they provide the foundation. It sounds like you are doing a great job with Noodle! A lot of times I feel I’m not getting anywhere with my dogs and all of a sudden there it is, the thing we’ve been working on. I don’t think it really happens all of a sudden, it just feels that way because the small steps really do add up.

Enjoy puppyhood!

·
Premium Member
23,170 Posts
When Ian Dunbar talks about running training workshops he always emphasizes success of baby steps and also tries to give people a way to measure the little victories. He would tell you if Noodle settled himself with the bully stick for 8 minutes today, measure the time he lasts over the next days and weeks and you will see 8 then 9.5 then 12 minutes, then maybe back to 8, but quickly you'll regularly be getting, 15, 20 minutes and you will see in quantitative ways just how much you are accomplishing.

Michigan Gal I think I disagree about encouraging a pup to run away from me on a leash. A leash in the street for a family walk should be companionship oriented more than about running like crazy. I do think a good variation would be to play puppy recall games in an enclosed place (yard or even in house for a small puppy/dog). Everyone who plays has a handful of treats and you take turns calling the dog and feeding for getting there fast. To vary this for the situation of wanting to chase her son I would have her son run away in the yard while mom keeps Noodle close and let pup watch son running away and letting Noodle go when son calls him. The reverse roles for the people. That is a great way to develop centripetal attraction and rock solid recalls. There is excitement and control alternating. Also if done in the yard no little ones will sneak up while you are paying attention to more immediate things. It isn't an exact match to what was tried today (which is its own victory) but it is close enough to get the point across.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We will have to work on longer recalls (probably on a longer leash because I don’t have a yard or enclosed space outside to work on it.). But for now we are working on recalls in the house.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. It means a lot.

·
Premium Member
23,170 Posts
We will have to work on longer recalls (probably on a longer leash because I don’t have a yard or enclosed space outside to work on it.). But for now we are working on recalls in the house.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. It means a lot.

Since Noodle is a toy poodle (from Rod I think) you can do those recall games in the house/apartment. I also reinforce recalls at random times and you will always be able to do that inside. If I did that with any of our dogs right now they would wreck the house, but we can do it in the fenced yard. We make it like hide and seek.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Go ahead and celebrate your wins - they are so enjoyable when they happen - it is like a light turning on. You are doing Great with Noodle - keep it up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Noodle is actually a mini from Eriand but my apartment will hopefully survive. Right now recalls are short because if he is loose he will find something to chew. But we will continue to work.

Since Noodle is a toy poodle (from Rod I think) you can do those recall games in the house/apartment. I also reinforce recalls at random times and you will always be able to do that inside. If I did that with any of our dogs right now they would wreck the house, but we can do it in the fenced yard. We make it like hide and seek.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
It sounds like you and Noodle have bonded and are making amazing progress. I think when you have children it can be more of a challenge to train a puppy but in the end I think you end up with a really well balanced pup. Great job!

·
Premium Member
23,170 Posts
Noodle is actually a mini from Eriand but my apartment will hopefully survive. Right now recalls are short because if he is loose he will find something to chew. But we will continue to work.

I knew he was from a good breeder whose dogs I am familiar with. My mom's mpoo is from Eriand. A mini can do in the house recalls for sure!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts