Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Show Tech slicker when I first got Misha, and later a Safari coated pin slicker to help with his sensitive legs. I finally splurged and decided to try out the CC Coral Slicker. But I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I've always heard that the pins are not sharp and they're not painful, but I'm afraid it might actually be more pricky than my Show Tech. When I compare them, it has thicker, longer pins, and they have more of a back curve to them. It does seem more sturdy and does a better job with the longer spots like his topknot and tail. But I find it too pricky to do anywhere without long fur. He is much more tolerant of the Safari brush on his back and legs. Do I just need to save the coral for the longer spots? Or am I brushing in a way that's causing pain when I shouldn't? I've tried just brushing very softly and trying to not put pressure on the skin. But it doesn't help much. He is an especially sensitive dog.

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
I had the CC slicker and Asta reacted the same way. He too, has sensitive skin. I use a pin brush and one of my old spaniel brushes these days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you feel the pins are too sharp you could try “brushing” it on something solid to wear them down a little and sort of sand off the edges of the pins. Or if you have a petco around they have a good slicker that’s has capped pins. I work for Petsmart but the slicker brush from the competition is amazing. Not as wonderful as the CC coral but a close second :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you feel the pins are too sharp you could try “brushing” it on something solid to wear them down a little and sort of sand off the edges of the pins. Or if you have a petco around they have a good slicker that’s has capped pins. I work for Petsmart but the slicker brush from the competition is amazing. Not as wonderful as the CC coral but a close second :)
Thanks! Thats a good idea

·
Registered
732 Posts
I just got the cc coral also and am finding the same thing! About 4 years ago I bought a different cc brush with shorter pins and really liked it. I decided a few weeks ago to splurge for the coral. I thought maybe I was brushing incorrectly and checked out some you tube videos with this brush. Not only did I use it on my poodles but also my German Shepherd with really long hair. He really hates it and the poodles just tolerate it. Like you I feel I must be doing something wrong??!! Let me know if you find the answer! 😀

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got the cc coral also and am finding the same thing! About 4 years ago I bought a different cc brush with shorter pins and really liked it. I decided a few weeks ago to splurge for the coral. I thought maybe I was brushing incorrectly and checked out some you tube videos with this brush. Not only did I use it on my poodles but also my German Shepherd with really long hair. He really hates it and the poodles just tolerate it. Like you I feel I must be doing something wrong??!! Let me know if you find the answer! 😀
I'm glad it's not just me! It does seem to work much better for the long tk hair. I think I'm just going to have to work on my technique so that I'm not touching the skin at all. Maybe I'll try dulling the tips if I get up the courage to try it. I do really love how fluffy it gets his head and it does a great job penetrating the thick parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think because it is such a high quality brush that might be a reason they’re so sharp. I just know when we get new slickers we brush our tables at work to file them and make them more friendly lol. Our tables are a very coarse sandpaper like texture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts