Poodle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
lily cd re

I believe we do agree :) When the opportunity arises, I want more information from the vets on these cases. They did full toxicology & necropsies. One of the fears was that someone was poisoning dogs but also, there are small children who frequent the parks where these instances occurred.

You've also blown my mind. And please do tell me if I'm not following you correctly. I have been told it is impossible for me to have an allergic reaction to someone having smoked marijuana & come in & sit down next to me & still be able to use CBD oil. I started out using 1 drop to see if I could tolerate it & built up to the 4 drops & use when needed. But if I'm following you the CBD oil is taken from a different plants or varieties of plants. You wrote: "Good quality CBD is derived from low THC level industrial hemp plants not Cannabis sativa cultivars that are grown for medical or recreational marijuana uses." Sorry to sound stupid but these are different plants?

This explains a lot for me personally. Because if someone comes in & sits next to me we can chat for an hour with no problem. Then they leave & come back & it'll start with my throat itching, then I'll get tiny blisters in my throat, next the coughing starts & won't quit. I mean the first time this happened at a public place. The old fellow that caused my reaction figured it out first & asked me. Well heck, I had no idea if I was allergic to marijuana, I'd never been around it. He rolled his eyes but it was the truth. For the next 45 minutes, I was a coughing mess... coughing non stop. A staff person took my keys, went to the car for my rescue inhalers. That's when I started getting things under control but it didn't completely stop it. Over time I learned what the stuff smelled like, & had to tell folks to get away from me if they've used it (which gets me some looks in public but they do NOT want to be there for what happens if they don't). But folks keep telling me I'm wrong, I can't have an allergic reaction to it because this past year I started using CBD oil... so they say I can't be allergic to marijuana & still use CBD. But IF I'm following you... this explains it.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
dogsavvy the plants are the same species (Cannabis sativa) but they have been selected for different traits to be more or less expressed, recreational or medical marijuana has high THC content and the plants being grown for other uses including to produce CBD do not. One can also use hemp oil in cooking and salad dressings and such for its higher omega 3 fatty acid content without being exposed to high levels of THC because the plants from which it was made don't have high levels of it. The analogy in poodles would be to go back in time to one size and choose larger dogs to develop standards and smaller dogs to develop minis and toys. They are the same species just selected for different attributes.

Reactions: dogsavvy

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well, all the same consider yourself cyber hugged. I have been bombarded with opinions from people but nothing that explains how this could be possible. Obviously it's got to be either the plants with higher THC have something (be it THC or something else) that triggers the reaction or when they take that plant & smoke it, the burning creates the issue. Either way, it's another piece to this puzzle that I haven't yet figured out & I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
dogsavvy there is no reason to believe that breeding for a higher THC level only changed the THC level. There are presumably other traits that could be linked to the gene(s) for synthesizing the THC that are at altered levels.

Reactions: dogsavvy

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,720 Posts
I have a prescription for my dog Beatrice, she has cancer.
The F.D.A. here in the U.S.A. has only approved the use of C.B.D. Oil in the treatment cancer and seizures. Any other use is anecdotal

·
Registered
304 Posts
I did a presentation on CBD for my dog club. I'll list a few of the points I found most interesting:
  • CBD is not the psychoactive part of Cannabis. There is really no reason to expect that it would affect a dog's anxiety other than by mild sedation at a high dose level.
  • I could only find two well-designed controlled studies on CBD -- both by veterinary schools. One is testing CBD for reducing seizures (Epidiolex is a CBD preparation licensed for use treating terrible seizure disorders in children), the other is testing CBD for orthopedic pain in older dogs.
  • The most common side effects of CBD include diarrhea and lack of appetite.
  • CBD use can elevate liver enzymes (usually not permanently). A dog who is put on CBD should have bloodwork done before, during, and after the use of CBD. If a dog already has a liver problem, CBD should not be used.
  • One should review the Certificate of Analysis (CoA) to make sure the product is free of too much THC (up to .3% is allowed), or other ingredients or contaminants. Poison Control says that most of the symptoms reported in dogs are consistent with THC overdose rather than CBD. That suggests that there could be a lot of contaminated products, or that people are reporting CBD rather than cannabis use.
  • There are two synthetic THC drugs approved by the FDA for treating lack of appetite as well as nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy.

My take-away? CBD is probably neither as beneficial, nor as harmless, as is popularly thought. Much more research is needed to see if it has a valued place in veterinary medicine.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.