Poodle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
I don't think I would go to using CBD or hemp with a puppy. I would work on training the pup to be used to being left in a crate with some happy safe chews and a comfy toy. If you start with drugging a puppy you have no place left to go if that stops working or doesn't work in the first place.

If you want to relieve anxiety then don't leave the pup in an anxious state for 8 hours. You have to take baby steps. Put pup in crate and if you see 8 relaxed seconds reward that. Take your time and work up to a minute, three minutes, 8 minutes and so forth. No rushing this.

I would never in a million years leave my poodles in a hotel room on their own for any longer than the time to go get a plate of food from the free breakfast and bring it back to my room to eat it or to move something into or out of may car. Both of my poodles are very seasoned travelers, but it is so hard to find good hotels that accept dogs I never risk ruining it for other people or for myself in the future. I am not sure that your beach vacation plans are fair to your pup, to yourself in worrying what is happening while you are gone or to other guests. You might need to rethink that schedule.

ETA: I do use CBD oil for noise anxiety to good effect, but on adult dogs, not pups. I think you have to make sure you are careful about high quality of the product and that it is titrated as to the dose and such.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
We have traveled quite extensively thru Canada & Alaska using hotels, one of the rules at every hotel was that our dog was not allowed to be left alone in the hotel room.

That is true at most hotels in the US too. The continued ability to travel with dogs does really depend heavily on those of us who do so having model travel companions. Our travel was pretty limited for the first year or two of Lily and Peeves young lives: budget minded places to stay that were well known pet friendly chains; one person always in the room with them; getting take out meals or only traveling when cool enough for them to be in the car if we wanted a table service meal. When we go to Indianapolis every May none of the dogs comes with us.

I do travel a lot with my poodles, mostly to obedience/rally trials, but I did take a long road trip with them to Georgia (from Long Island) in 2017 for the AKC rally nationals with Lily. I tailored the entire trip to knowing there were things to do where they could be with me all along and passed over some things I would have enjoyed but that they would have had to stay in the car for (didn't want to take a chance of having it be too hot to do so safely).

mary2e I don't think anyone here wants to be a buzzkill on your vacation plans or even the idea that you want to travel with your pup, but I would think about making plans to board him for this trip. This year for our Indy trip I left Javelin with a new dog sitter recommended by a dear friend. He was too much for my mom last year since she doesn't have a fenced yard and we don't leave the three of them at our home because all of them are too much to manage for people who don't know them well. The dog sitter told me he cried like a baby the first night and when he got up the next morning and went out in the yard and trotted around with her husband he decided he liked them and had a really nice time going out for car rides with the husband and going for leisure walks with the wife. We had a good trip and for Javelin it was like his own little vacation. He can go back any time we need to leave him, he enjoyed and was well mannered with the people he stayed with. That says a lot since normally he is with me 24/7 (truly since he comes to work with me).

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
The couple who watched Javelin in May also only watch one dog at a time and after the first night he really settled in with them. I bet your pup will settle in after you first leave him and will give up on staring longingly across to your home. I think you will find this a much more enjoyable vacation this way. Although I always miss our dogs when we are away it is easier to know they are safe at home. Our dog sitters always send text messages to let us know they are okay and the woman who watched Javelin sent plenty of pictures of him too.

You can plan ahead for next year to find a dog friendly vacation spot that allows dogs on the beach and maybe even has some sort of dog sitting included.

Reactions: dogsavvy and mary2e

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Ah what a sweet man your husband is!

Reactions: Mfmst and mary2e

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Good quality CBD is derived from low THC level industrial hemp plants not Cannabis sativa cultivars that are grown for medical or recreational marijuana uses. I cannot imagine that any quality CBD could cause a fatal toxicity. Even serious pothead humans don't die from too much marijuana use.

That said good quality of CBD is important not just so it is safe, but also so it is effective. There are many brands of CBD that work well for companion animals including, for larger dogs, preparations for humans (which is what I give my dogs who weigh 100, 50 and 37 pounds). Although I don't love FB I strongly recommend this group for people doing research on brands and uses for CBD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/171965680275046/

Reactions: mary2e

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
I am an immunologist so I certainly do know that any person or other animal can have an atopic response to virtually anything. Having a severe allergic reaction to something is very different from overdosing from it though. After all an anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting can kill a person, tiny dose is life threatening. The dogs that you referred to with severe adverse reactions could have had them as responses to non-cannabadiol components of what they were given or might have died coincidentally from other pathologies.

Nope I sure wouldn't buy CBD at a gas station of a vape shop either, but for larger dogs if you do know the dose that works for your dog then using a human formulated CBD is fine (I wouldn't do that for tiny dogs).

I think we agree on nearly all of this dogsavvy.

Reactions: dogsavvy

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
dogsavvy the plants are the same species (Cannabis sativa) but they have been selected for different traits to be more or less expressed, recreational or medical marijuana has high THC content and the plants being grown for other uses including to produce CBD do not. One can also use hemp oil in cooking and salad dressings and such for its higher omega 3 fatty acid content without being exposed to high levels of THC because the plants from which it was made don't have high levels of it. The analogy in poodles would be to go back in time to one size and choose larger dogs to develop standards and smaller dogs to develop minis and toys. They are the same species just selected for different attributes.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
dogsavvy there is no reason to believe that breeding for a higher THC level only changed the THC level. There are presumably other traits that could be linked to the gene(s) for synthesizing the THC that are at altered levels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.