Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here tried this for their dogs (or themselves for that matter)?

I know a couple of people who are using CBD oil for various issues with their dogs. I just ordered some to try with Peeves for his noise anxiety issues. I think I may try it for my joint pain too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We used CBD Oil capsules and treats for our Standard with DM. She had a lot of anxiety and had trouble sleeping at night before we started giving her CBD oil. Would highly recommend trying it.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I used CBD oil for 3 months while my chiropractor was treating a particularily difficult, stubborn and painful shoulder injury. He had attended a seminar during which it was explained that the CBD oil helps "redirect" some electrical impluses from the brain through the nervous system and thus promotes healing. I was at my wits end with this injury and the pain was often overwhelming. The oils seemed to help the healing process get back on track and gradually gain relief. I felt that it gave me the relief I needed for the healing to go forward. The results are gradual and very subtle, but it did the trick.

There were times when the Dr. could not work on me because the pain was so great, with the pain relief he was able to do the necessary adjustments and physical therapy and I have a functioning shoulder again! Not sure if I would be at this stage without the CBD oil.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Are there any peer reviewed journal articles on CBD oil for the purpose you want to use it?

What are the side effects, contraindications etc?

·
Premium Member
15,807 Posts
My niece uses CBD oil to help with side side effects of chemo therapy and lately I've been researching it's uses for my COPD ..........still researching though.........but some swear it helps!

·
Premium Member
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skylar there is some research on use of CBD to treat various anxiety disorders in people. It does seem that there is evidence of acute use benefits, but that there needs to be more research on its long term use. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4604171/

For Peeves I would be using it for his thunder storm anxiety, so acute use.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a bottle of it but haven't tried it w Hannah yet. She has significant separation anxiety, especially when she can't be right near me or if I go somewhere.

I do have a CBD vape pen with no tobacco, etc. The one I have uses the organic CBD oil in it as well. I use it to help with my anxiety.

Skylar there is some research on use of CBD to treat various anxiety disorders in people. It does seem that there is evidence of acute use benefits, but that there needs to be more research on its long term use. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4604171/

For Peeves I would be using it for his thunder storm anxiety, so acute use.

·
Premium Member
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a bottle of it but haven't tried it w Hannah yet. She has significant separation anxiety, especially when she can't be right near me or if I go somewhere.

I do have a CBD vape pen with no tobacco, etc. The one I have uses the organic CBD oil in it as well. I use it to help with my anxiety.

Thanks for your input, but I have a question for you. Isn't Hannah a puppy? I would try training on this before using a pharmacological intervention. Peeves is almost ten years old and has a long history of noise phobias that have not been responsive to counter conditioning.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Catherine, i am beginning to think this is the 'next big thing" in dogs. Lots of talk on "Dogs naturally" about many uses besides anxiety. I would assume you used "Rescue remedy" at some point?

All the recent "grain free" leads to DCM,peas,pea protein leads to DCM chatter has my head spinning trying to find food,treats -then I think how my 1st dog,mpoo,lived to 17 on what today is 'oh,no,yuck!" food,and I raised IWs to 11-12 yrs,whippets to 15-17 yrs on I don't even remember,but certainly not up to today's standards food-and how magnets,turmeric,etc are miracles to some and do diddly for my aches and pains...and I step back and take a deep breath.

all that being said,it never hurts to try!

Martha et al

·
Premium Member
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have used Rescue Remedy, but the last time we had fireworks and thunder together it didn't seem to help Peeves too much. Thundershirt doesn't do much for him either so time to try something else. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have never been able to figure out if Rescue Remedy does anything at all. I can see no difference, either in my dog, or me.
Have others had luck?

·
Premium Member
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rescue Remedy has been very beneficial for all of our dogs for various anxiety situations, but last weekend there were fireworks followed closely by huge thunder and RR didn't cut it, which is why I am interested in trying CBD oil.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Catherine - may I ask what vendor you ordered your CBD from? I get a lot of spam emails for CBD and don't trust them - really don't need any more spam and am afraid if I tried to order from them, I would be swamped. I'd like to try CBD and see if it helps with my anxiety. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Haven’t had much luck with Rescue Remedy.

Recently tried CBD for both the dogs and myself.

For the dogs: I wanted to use it at an agility trial with Lily because sometimes she goes off the rails, and zooms in a trial. So I gave her some before an agility practice to try it out. It seemed to make her lose her edge, her “zippiness and spunk” and I didn’t like that. Based on her response in practice, I decided not to use it for trials and just deal with her occasional zoomies. However, it did seem to have a relaxing effect on her, and I plan to try it with Max for his noise phobia- he currently gets Trazadone to deal with fireworks and the like.

For me: It was calming, and pleasant. However, like Lily’s response, I felt slower. Certainly fine for most tasks, but not sure I would want it on board in a situation where I had to make quick decisions.

I bought mine at a local place that sources it from an independent farm in Vermont. The dogs I ordered from Blue bird Botanicahttp://https://bluebirdbotanicals.com/product-category/animals/ls.

·
Premium Member
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Astas Mom I ordered from here. https://www.lazarusnaturals.com/ They were recommended to me by a local friend who also has an anxious dog. I like that they titrate to standards and test for contaminants.

Carolinek thank you for your insights about your Lily and CBD taking too much edge off for trials. I am mostly interested in it for Peeves and noise. A recent terrible night of fireworks and thunder soon after saw no relief from Rescue Remedy which has normally been very helpful for him.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts