Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done this to rule out any potential problems? I notice that Vets tend to want to x-ray or run other test before the CBC. I'd prefer if I determined I wanted to do this, to do the CBC first.

Can anyone give me idea of what all they are checking for with the CBC?

Sorry I had to go get all serious! :)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I used to have to have a CBC run on my mini dachsie, Meika, because she was on meds for canine lupus. The vet explained that the meds could do damage to her liver so we needed to monitor her very closely. We started out doing CBCs very frequently and because those were all good, the vet weaned us down to one every 6 months.

I know before I ever have any surgery conducted on any of my pets, I approve the bloodwork the vet recommends beforehand (I'm not sure if this is considered a CBC, too - or if it's a modified version of it - but it provides a baseline and can detect any infection or anything that might cause the vet to postpone the surgery)

Sorry I can't be more specific - but that's all I know! :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you PC. Any information works for me at this point. I'm assuming its much like humans. If they detect too much of this or that they run more tests. My girl gets sick often and I thought we were showing signs of improvement and then a bought if diarrhea came today and then some vomit.

Now she is being a sweety like no big deal......:)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
They ran a lot of blood work on Sport. Platelet counts and checked liver etc. That is how they determined the problem.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
A CBC is usually only part of the bloodwork that your veterinarian will run. A CBC will check white cell counts, red cell counts, platelet count, etc... basically checking the blood itself (NOT liver or kidney function). Veterinarians will also run some sort of General Health Profile and this will check liver, kidney, pancreas values, etc... Most will also check electrolyte levels. This all depends on what lab your veterinarian uses or what blood machines they have at their clinic. We use the IDEXX machines and have been very happy with them.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
What problems are you having where your vet wants to do an x-ray over a CBC? As others have mentioned, a CBC is a complete blood count. It checks the amount of red blood cells, all the white blood cells, and platelets (to simpify it).
No offense, but we generally dont give owners the choice to run Either a CBC or an x-ray. Owners dont know what information it will either give us or will rule out. If we have a sick patient 9/10 times we will run a full blood panel which includes a CBC. It is Rarely an either or situation (xray vs. CBC).

Im just confused what senario you are envisioning with your question. :)
Oh, and i have one run on Riley every year with his exam and blood panel.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Vet has not requested it. I was considering having it done. If my Vet wanted to do this, I would NEVER stop him. I have already called and discussed it with them so aparently they will do it upon my request but they were not real helpful on what all is detected.

We are for now going to change food to grain free - and that has been a search from hell! I want to also find something a little lower in fat. Because I think we might be dealing with IBS or IBD. I need to try this before I jump to getting the CBC done. I am a worry wart Suri has been a blessing and she's a perfect dog but she has a touchy belly :(

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The lab we use has a pretty good deal on a panal that covers the basic chemistries (liver, kidney values), a full CBC and a heartworm test. The past couple years i have gotten that done now that Riley is getting older. It wouldnt be a bad idea to have a "baseline" one done on Suri. I hope you find a food that agrees with her! Poor girl.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lab we use has a pretty good deal on a panal that covers the basic chemistries (liver, kidney values), a full CBC and a heartworm test. The past couple years i have gotten that done now that Riley is getting older. It wouldnt be a bad idea to have a "baseline" one done on Suri. I hope you find a food that agrees with her! Poor girl.
Much Thanks. We started Taste of Wild today - we are taking it slow:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts