Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking for a Standard in the North East/Mid Atlantic Area. Prefer Red or Brown and would like to drive to pick up rather than ship.

This breeder was listed on Facebook

Catoctin Furnace Red Standard Poodles, anyone have any experience with them good or bad?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
It's good that they do health testing. I don't love that they don't seem to do anything with their dogs (showing, obedience, agility, hunting). They also don't seem to groom their puppies as much as I would like to see to help them get used to it (usually they start baths and shaving faces and such at 5 weeks or earlier and do it weekly).
I feel like they probably breed for color more than anything.
You could do worse, but you could do better.

·
Premium Member
22,858 Posts
I have the same concerns voiced by Mysticrealm, but additionally discovered through a Google search that Catoctin apparently studded or sold a male to another breeder who produces sheepadoodles (old english sheepdogxpoodle) which makes Catoctin a no for me since I would not support a breeder that contributes to the doodle craze.

FarleysD as suggested by Mfmst would be a much better option.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I’ve seen 2 of FarleysD spoos and they were both beautiful dogs. Definitely consider this breeder.

Reactions: Saphire

·
Registered
761 Posts
Please contact Terry and John at Farley's D. They're in your designated area and are wonderful breeders who are invested in our amazing breed. Whether they have puppies or not they will support you and be wonderful guides on your search for an amazing puppy.

Best Wishes,

Tabatha
NOLA Standards

·
Premium Member
22,858 Posts
Tabatha the only reason I didn't suggest you or Arreau was because of geography!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the suggestion. I will contact Terry but Pittsburgh is too far for me (it is about 8 hours). I am east of New York City. I would be the only driver and I need to be able to do the trip in one day and I would like to see the parents, interact with the puppies and possibly visit before I make a decision if that is possible.

My prior dog was 4 hours away and the trip ended up taking 6 hours each way due to weather and traffic and I could not visit before making a decision

·
Premium Member
22,858 Posts
I do and don't in some ways understand why you think that Pittsburgh is further than you want to go, but think about making an overnight out of it. A puppy is a companion that hopefully will have many happy years with you so I don't think it is such a big deal to go further afield to find the right pup. If you are east of NYC then Pittsburgh doesn't really seem like so much more prohibitive a trip than Maryland. I realize it is too far to go visit and then go back a couple of weeks later, but with good references I could see foregoing the early visit. When we got Lily and Javelin we were lucky enough to be able to get visits with the puppies at about 5-6 weeks of age, but with Peeves we did not since they were about five hours away. Peeves is the 2nd pup BF has had from the same breeder, so we knew we would be satisfied.

·
Registered
912 Posts
When I was searching for my first spoo (now 2 1/2 years old) I was also concerned about travel time and visits and limited my search to breeders who were ‘driveable’. In retrospect, it is more important to me to find a trusted breeder who can match me with the right puppy, than to find one close enough for multiple visits.

I visited ‘my’ litter at 5 weeks, but was prevented from making a second visit at 7 weeks due to a snowstorm, and this was just a few hours away, but safety was paramount. My breeder did a great job of matching me to a puppy and I would happily take another pup sight unseen from this breeder, if those were the circumstances. The breeder, after all, knows their puppies best after 10-12 weeks of observing and interacting with them.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you but how do you know a breeder is trustworthy? A friend told me about her experience, breeder came recommended by at least 3 people, my friend was the first one to pick up a puppy from a large litter, friend was told to pick which one she wanted! So friend did. Her dog is nice but she was hardly "matched." The puppies in question had very different personalities according to friend. Friend had not owned a dog in 20 years at the time so was hardly experienced

·
Registered
912 Posts
I had a limited choice, that is, there were 2 males available based on my needs (performance) and I went with the pup that the breeder felt was best for me. (I’ve met the other male since then and wondered if either of the boys would be different if they were raised in different households!) I had the opportunity to be ‘first pick’ with another breeder but wasn’t comfortable with that as the means of placement. I follow many breeders on line, the good and the not as good, and ‘pick in order of deposit’ is still common, but it is not for me.

During my search I spoke by phone with several really good breeders. They were very useful conversations. I would happily have one of their dogs if the wait hadn’t been so long. The phone worked for me to learn about a breeder’s philosophy and build trust. The PF is at least a good screening tool to learn if another has had a particularly good or bad experience with a breeder.

·
Premium Member
22,858 Posts
Not all good breeders pick puppies for their buyers. Some absolutely put the puppy they think will be a good match on their own. Others will work with the buyer to decide which puppy will be best for that family and others will let the buyers have the decision for themselves. I think the middle approach is the one that has worked well for us. It is dependent on being able to have a really good long visit with the puppies at around 5-6 weeks of age. The middle approach works when the buyer and breeder have been talking extensively once the paws are on the ground so they can watch the development of each puppy and make suggestions to guide the buyer. With Javelin's litter the breeder knew I wanted a performance obedience dog with good drive to work, but also a boy who would accept that he would not be "top dog" since Lily would not have taken well to a social rank challenger. She initially had told me to watch one particular boy in the videos she waas sending, but by the time we went for our pick visit she actually recommended against him because he had started standing up to and challenging his sisters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We are looking for a Standard in the North East/Mid Atlantic Area. Prefer Red or Brown and would like to drive to pick up rather than ship.

Catoctin Furnace Red Standard Poodles, anyone have any experience with them good or bad?
They are a fantastic breeder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They are a fantastic breeder. Their dogs are fully Health tested and extremely well socialized. They take a lot of time to find out what their puppy owners needs are and spend extensive time preparing their puppies from their future homes. Poodles can do all things. They specialize in pet homes and services dogs but have had several dogs that show in various events for confirmation and sport. My veterinarian recommended them to us, our vet owns 2 of there dogs and we are getting our second from them.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Catoctin Furnace Standard Poodles is amazing. You can't get a better more well rounded puppy. If you dont have one of their puppies your can't compare. They breed for temperament and confirmation. Their dogs are very well rounded and we couldn't ask for a better puppy. They have dogs that show but working with them they have homes that show and we were able to talk to anyone we wanted to as a reference. They care about all their puppies well after they leave. We spoke with a couple different families with different lifestyles. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same concerns voiced by Mysticrealm, but additionally discovered through a Google search that Catoctin apparently studded or sold a male to another breeder who produces sheepadoodles (old english sheepdogxpoodle) which makes Catoctin a no for me since I would not support a breeder that contributes to the doodle craze.

FarleysD as suggested by Mfmst would be a much better option.
Their contract has no doodling in it or there is a fine of up to $5,000. She was against doodling and we talked at length about it. I asked why doodles were so popular and she was open and honest but did not want her name associated with any doodling. I guess you can't believe what you hear if you dont know them yourself.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
A breeder that comes highly recommended here is a very safe choice as a good breeder and I would personally have no problem foregoing an initial visit if the breeder paired me with a pup. The recommendations of experienced people on here are not the same as the average pet owner's recommendation. People here have much more experience and often show their dogs in performance or sport, so they would only recommend top quality breeders. As far as traveling goes, I personally drove 12 hours to pick up my pup and we didn't have any issue with it. We just stayed overnight near the breeder, picked up the pup in the morning, and then drove home. I did not meet the pup before pickup. I trusted he was a good match, and have never looked back. I'd also be willing to pick with the breeder's recommendations, but would not prefer to pick myself from a pile of puppies. Breeders know their pups best.

Red poodle crazy, it is good to hear that you have had good experiences with Catoctin Furnace. Their dogs are lovely. I do not see anywhere that mentions OFA hip testing for their dogs. I went to the OFA database and looked up their dogs. Two of their dogs have results uploaded on OFA (link below) but they are only genetic tests and do not include hip testing. I believe this makes it highly probable that they limit things to genetic tests. But it's also technically possible that they have tested them and just haven't put the results on OFA. I could be missing something. But barring documentation of hip testing, for me this is a deal breaker as I would not purchase a large breed dog whose parents were not hip tested. The risk is just too great.

In addition, you said
Their contract has no doodling in it or there is a fine of up to $5,000. She was against doodling and we talked at length about it. I asked why doodles were so popular and she was open and honest but did not want her name associated with any doodling. I guess you can't believe what you hear if you dont know them yourself.
Catoctin Furnace undoubtedly studded their male "Cotto" out to a Sheepadoodle breeder. They didn't stud him out to produce sheepadoodles, but to use with another poodle female. The resulting offspring ("TLC by the Lake's Valentine") was kept by the sheepadoodle breeder and may be used to sire doodles... but I don't have the time to look at every pairing they have. It's a very large kennel that produces all types of doodles. For evidence, check out TLC By the Lake Standard Poodles & Doodles. It's clearly listed in their Male Poodles section.

So they are willing to stud to doodle kennels, regardless of what they say. It's not the same as studding directly to another breed, but for some it may be a deal breaker. With breeders it's always a good safe practice to see documentation of things before relying purely on what a person says, just to be sure.

That said, the OFA hip testing is the thing I would be most concerned about. I would also prefer to see some evidence of titles on the dogs to prove sound temperament and structure. It's something I would ask about. Ultimately it's up to the buyer to decide what risks they are willing to take.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The resulting offspring ("TLC by the Lake's Valentine") was kept by the sheepadoodle breeder and may be used to sire doodles...
I did a quick review of the upcoming litters and Valentine (dob June 2016) is showing up as a "future dad" only in the poodle upcoming litters link.
I haven't checked in past litters, if they're listed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts