Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a new poodle and am wondering about cleaning the carpets in my home so as not to have any scent from our previous dog around to interfere with house training the new dog. We have cleaned the carpets a few times, ( over a year or so since he has been here), but wonder how we might make sure all the doggie odor is gone. I've read advise that white vinegar will remove lingering odors. We have a carpet cleaning steam machine we use that we could use any solution we want to put in it. HELP how do you deal with this....any and all advise is welcome.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Simple Green makes an enzymatic odor cleaner. If you want to get it clean and get rid of any smell, you have to use an enzymatic cleaner. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
why don't you want the scent of your old dog in the house? It's been over a year, so they won't be fresh smells, your poodle will smell other things everywhere, and other doggie smells everywhere else it goes in public... It wouldn't have even crossed my mind to worry about anything like that, and now that I have thought about it, I still wouldn't worry about it in the slightest! :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Well... maybe previous dog liked to mark or had "accidents" :rolffleyes: so she does not want a new puppy to "get the idea":rolffleyes:

Water diluted white vinegar takes out any smell - but it can smell like a "vinegar" for a week or so ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simple Green makes an enzymatic odor cleaner. If you want to get it clean and get rid of any smell, you have to use an enzymatic cleaner. Good luck!
Thanks, I will definitely look in to getting some of that. The vinegar idea is something I'd heard about in the past also but not to into having my whole house smell like a freshly tossed green salad for a week or more. My intent is not to leave any accident locations for the new dog to want to mark over or think ah ha now this a a good place to do my business. I know they can smell even a year old accident sites so to speak. I am planning on using the Ardy Livermore Grate Crate method of house breaking. As housebreaking has been a major hurdle to overcome in the past. Her method sounds pretty much fool proof if anyone is interested in looking at her site. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You are welcome and best of luck with the new puppy !!! Remember that persistence and routine are the key for any training. It is going to be very demanding and tiring for couple of months - but than you will have house-broken dog for life !!!!:)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Do you have a steam cleaner? You might be able to find an enzyme cleaner that you can dilute into a steam cleaner. That's what I'd do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts