Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my poor rescue poodle started coughing a couple of days after I got him home.... we went to the vet who said it was just kennel cough from being in the shelter and gave him an antibiotic... that evening lots of discharge from nose and horrendous retching, vomiting and coughing - we race to emergency vet where poor dog is admitted and give antibiotics and fluids through an IV.... that was Friday.... he got steadily worse and was put in intensive care last night. Now today he is back at the regular vets for the day on an IV again - he still has not eaten or drank anything but they say they are going to send him home to see what happens....they also cant yet find out what is wrong... he has pneumonia but the underlying disease could be canine influenza or... distemper...(we are awaiting test results which take a few days) as he was rescued from a puppy mill so his vaccinations were not done properly... has anyone experienced caring for such a sick dog or got any tips they could share? I have set up a humidifier, comfy bed and got some hamburger, chicken broth and electrolyte drink....I am so scared he will die

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
You both have certainly been through a lot. I don't have any extra ideas for you. Just wanted to let you know that I'll keep him in my thoughts for a quick and full recovery. Main thing is that he feels loved during such a trying time. He's very fortunate to have you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Am praying for your poor pup and that he will pull through...give him love and just do what the doctors advise.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
faithj, Good luck to you and your poor rescue poodle. Sure hope all turns out well for you. Poor guy has been through so much, glad he has you to care for him. Did they check him out for parvo? The first thing I thought was kennel cough also, since he came from a shelter, because this is real common with dogs being housed so close to others, but now that he is this ill, I don't think so. I think what you are doing sounds good. I think at this time making sure that he stays hydrated is one of the most important things that you can do. I know that you must be very scared. Sending well wishes your way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I don't think its parvo as he is not that listless now...I am terrified it could be distemper as I have been reading most dogs then die....I managed to force feed him some baby food (under vet's instructions) waiting to see if he keeps that down now

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
poodle is actually doing slightly better... I ah dpt feed with a syringe for 2 days however now he is finally eating.... but my other 2 dogs r now in intensive care....we have to hope for the best....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
faithj, Wow, I'm sorry to hear this terrible news. You've been hit with a triple whammy. The tests still do not show what your dogs have? This is the worst thing about bringing in an animal from a shelter or such. To many times you will also bring home some illness with it. I have a rotti which I rescued from our animal shelter 9 yrs. ago. I love her dearly, but she ended up bringing in kennel cough to our other dogs, thought it was never going to end. Sending well wishes your way to all of your fur friends.

·
Registered
60 Posts
rescue dogs bring sickness

I have been thru this also . I know dogs need to be rescued but be prepared to spend hundreds even thousands on sick dogs and then they give it to your dogs too. The one I brought home had a virus and gave it to my other dogs from going to the groomer.

·
Registered
335 Posts
faithj, I hope all of your dogs recover soon...it is like having your family sick and taking its toll on your energy also.....wishing you and yours the best!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I hope your poodles are on the mend. It sort of sounds like this canine influenza that has been in the news. I dont know what part of the country your in, but it's supposedly only in certain areas. I do know it's not supposed to be in CA yet but have a friend who works at a boarding/grooming facility and they had a case that sounds just like it, and then two of her own dogs have come down with it. It is a very scary sickness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts