Poodle Forum banner

Care and feeding an older poodle

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  shell 
#1 ·
Flower at 15 1/2 years old is doing well, but in the last year she has become a bit fickle about food, I am looking for more choices for her, she is completely toothless and has jaw loss associated with that so picking up or lapping up is a bit of a challenge, basically she swallows bits whole.

I am looking into buying food in smaller portions, of a greater variety and I am open to suggestions

#3 ·
My two toys, 14 1/2 and 15 both eat canned food twice a day. I mix it with water, mash it up with a fork, then fluff it up in a pile so they can pick it up. One is missing most teeth and the other has serious teeth issues (can't be cleaned because of declining kidney function).

They also have dry food that they free feed and still enjoy. Of course they swallow whole, but the vet said that's fine.

At night I break up soft treats for them and I feed them as much of that as they want to eat.

We also have a night time routine that started as a way to keep the dogs busy while we brushed our teeth. Jess being young and excitable would bark and want to play with the toys causing one of them to bark and snap and that noise drove me crazy LOL, so I started giving them dry food by hand to keep them busy and quiet until hubby is in the bed and I put Jess in the crate. So.....now they expect that as well.

I'm happy that they are still eating well.

#4 ·
Thanks guys for your input but I already mix, mash, and grind depending. What I am looking for is recommendations of small portion like Little Caesar sizing, but good quality food I see small portions by Nutro a split pate dish with two servings, Merrick makes lil plates, Blue makes wee cans.

Today I hand fed kibble and she ate just fine,

#5 ·
Just an update

Flower is eating well, had to put the kibble on a towel so that don't slide around on her.

Flower's major in eating is the lack of teeth, they were pulled when she was 6 , as well as jaw erosion, lower is about a 1/4 gone but now some of the upper is going.

Why is a toothless dog eating kibble, because that is what she wants to eat. I have variety canned on hand but she tired of it.

I guess I'll have to keep trying different things to make eating easier, but for now the towel works.

#7 ·
Thank you Shell, that is kind of what I looking for, just some more options. I'll look into that. I actually have their cod skins as a non beef chew for Pia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.