Poodle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick note about car sickness that may help someone. When I was a kid, my Dad bought a huge standard, Kebo, while we were on vacation from a pound for $7. During the 1200 mile trip home, he was constantly car sick. We stopped for gas and the attendant said to take the chain collar off and hang it from the trailer hitch (as a static discharge). No more car sickness. I don’t know if that was the solution or whether he just got over it, but it may have been the answer. Maybe a static strap could be a solution for some.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I wish I had seen that hint when Zoe was young. She used to get car-sick every time we went anywhere. She eventually became accustomed to riding, but I don't think she particularly enjoys it.

Reactions: Ava.

·
Registered
278 Posts
According to my vet friend, lavender (either stems and flowers from the plant or essential oil) helps with car anxiety. Also, feeding a dog a small amount of ginger (I used Trader Joe's triple ginger cookies broken into pieces) can help with nausea. Don't forget turning the air conditioning onto the coldest, windiest setting. That helps, even if everybody in the car is too cold.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to my vet friend, lavender (either stems and flowers from the plant or essential oil) helps with car anxiety. Also, feeding a dog a small amount of ginger (I used Trader Joe's triple ginger cookies broken into pieces) can help with nausea. Don't forget turning the air conditioning onto the coldest, windiest setting. That helps, even if everybody in the car is too cold.
Lavender essential oil is supposed to be calming. And ginger is supposed to help with nausea. In fact, I,ve recently seen ads for Gravol with ginger.

·
Premium Member
15,147 Posts
Car anti-static straps are widely available, at least here in the UK. As far as I know the effects on nausea are anecdotal, and the strips not very effective at grounding static anyway: How do anti-static products work? But it is a cheap and cheerful might-work-won't-harm thing to try!

Ginger can definitely help. I used to give Sophie ginger nut biscuits (cookies) while desensitising her to the car - they had the added advantage that she liked them, so they added to making getting in the car a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
511 Posts
How would you apply the lavender essential oil? I am about to make a 9-hour car ride with my new puppy and have some but not sure how I would use. Thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Please just be very cautious when using essential oils, especially around puppies. Even if you choose one that’s not toxic to dogs (be sure to research this carefully), there are lots of counterfeit products out there.
Thanks for the warning. I will check the essential oil I have on hand. I may not need anything at all, but like to be prepared with options.

·
Premium Member
15,147 Posts
I would keep all essential oils out of contact with dogs (and cats), just in case. A little on fabric or cotton wool in a part of the car they cannot reach will allow for aromatherapy, without risking absorption.

Reactions: kontiki

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
I would always have a test run with any remedy before leaving home in the event of an unexpected/adverse reaction. Make sure whoever is going to be in the car is tolerant of fragrances. I for one would not tolerate riding in a lavender scented vehicle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Car anti-static straps are widely available, at least here in the UK. As far as I know the effects on nausea are anecdotal, and the strips not very effective at grounding static anyway: How do anti-static products work? But it is a cheap and cheerful might-work-won't-harm thing to try!

Ginger can definitely help. I used to give Sophie ginger nut biscuits (cookies) while desensitising her to the car - they had the added advantage that she liked them, so they added to making getting in the car a pleasant experience.
Yeah, we’ve had anti-static strips here for years too. My experience has been that they wear out quickly and aren’t touching the ground much. Again, when we used a chain collar, the sickness ended. Only our personal anecdotal evidence for sure and maybe it wasn‘t that at all. Who knows. i just put that out there As a personal experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.