Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a toy poodle. 3months old. she is get car sick..even just for 1 hour. is anyone knows what i should do? thx

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose gets car sick even going 100ft if he's anxious about it... it depends on the car we've found too!

My truck he's absolutely scared out of his mind and by the end of our driveway (long compared to city driveways) he's sometimes drooling already! While the car or the jeep he doesn't mind and smiles!

Don't feed prior to driving or give to much water. That's all the advice I have.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Cesar had a show about this recently... he spent lots of time with the dog going in and out of the car (when it's parked obviously) and rewarded with treats as soon as the dog was relaxed in the car; ie. reward the calm behaviour. Spend lots of time in the car when it's not moving to get him used to it and reward lots with his favorite stuff... short distances first with lots of breaks... It takes time and LOTS of patience :)
Here's another idea; "Take their bowl and fill it with water and put it in the freezer. They will have a block of ice to lick and the licking motion will calm them down, and prevent a sloshy belly. This is what they say when putting a dog in a kennel for travelling on planes. I think it should work the same way".
Good luck!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose is so scared in the truck he won't lick his ice.

He LOVES ice and knows what it means, and is, and the sound of it, etc, but not in the truck! haha, he just layed on it :/

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Heather's suggestions are good! A lot of car sickness in dogs is due to nerves. Once you get the dog used to sitting in the car while it's not moving, drive short distances to fun places like the park or even a fast food or donut shop. We used to dog sit a dog who drooled so much in the car we actually put a bib on her a couple of times! We took her through a McDonald's drive in a few times and got her a hamburger (meat patty only), and after a few drives she stopped the drooling.

Here's an article that might help: http://www.petfriendly.ca/pet-travel/car-travel.php

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
that's a great article, I saved it to my favorites!
I have to make a 3 hour road trip to pick up my daughter, from a week at summer camp in the Muskoka's, the day after we get our puppy! I'm crossing my fingers that he'll be ok with the car! I'm hoping that since we're introducing him so young, he'll be fine with the whole idea and just sleep most of the trip!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Rebel gets carsick after about 10 miles. But I've found that the car he rides in makes a difference, also. In my Mazda (manual transmission) he gets sick much sooner than in my Honda (auto). Does that say anything about my driving?:bounce:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
that's a great article, I saved it to my favorites!
I have to make a 3 hour road trip to pick up my daughter, from a week at summer camp in the Muskoka's, the day after we get our puppy! I'm crossing my fingers that he'll be ok with the car! I'm hoping that since we're introducing him so young, he'll be fine with the whole idea and just sleep most of the trip!
Wow, what a happy ending to summer camp for your daughter! She won't be sad to say good-bye to her friends knowing that there will be a puppy in the car waiting for her!

I'm sure your pup will be fine. Either don't give him breakfast or give him a small amount that morning so his stomach isn't full. Keeping him in a crate while the car is moving is a good idea, as it's safer for him and also he can't see objects moving outside the car, which can create dizziness and cause them to vomit. Some of our PWD pups came from Northern Michigan, which is an 8 hour drive, and we never had a problem with them in the car on the way home! He'll most likely be exhausted from the big shift to your home and all the new things he has to take in and just sleep the whole way. :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Rebel gets carsick after about 10 miles. But I've found that the car he rides in makes a difference, also. In my Mazda (manual transmission) he gets sick much sooner than in my Honda (auto). Does that say anything about my driving?:bounce:
Funny! I had a friend who was a real aggressive driver... her dog use to get car sick every time she had her in the car.
I was pet sitting her dog for a week and drove al over town with the dog sleeping in the back seat of my car... never got sick once.
I do think if you are a nervous or aggressive driver it could have an impact on your dog, as they do pick up on people’s feelings.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Motion sickness in dogs is very rare,so majority of them get sick due to nervousness.
The good news is that most of them will outgrow it.
Gunther used to get sick in the car all the time and it is now completely gone.
Letting them sit in a car with the engine running helps ,followed by very short trips to a favourite activity...ie. walk in the park,fetch a ball etc.
Sometimes a ginger cookie prior to the car ride helps.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
THe diesel sound scares moose, if I start the truck he won't even walk near it in fear I`ll stick him inside... hahah

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Wow, what a happy ending to summer camp for your daughter! She won't be sad to say good-bye to her friends knowing that there will be a puppy in the car waiting for her!
yes, she's very excited about that! ...but she's also upset she won't be home to go and actually pick him up from the breeders... and she has to miss his first night home! lol she's 14, everything's DRAMA at her age!

I'm sure your pup will be fine. Either don't give him breakfast or give him a small amount that morning so his stomach isn't full. Keeping him in a crate while the car is moving is a good idea, as it's safer for him and also he can't see objects moving outside the car, which can create dizziness and cause them to vomit. Some of our PWD pups came from Northern Michigan, which is an 8 hour drive, and we never had a problem with them in the car on the way home! He'll most likely be exhausted from the big shift to your home and all the new things he has to take in and just sleep the whole way. :)
THANKS for the tips!! I was thinking the crate would be the best option, with lots of stops along the way, plus I'll want to stop just to see him and cuddle him for a minute! lol It should be fine, I think you're right, he'll be pooped and probably sleep the whole trip!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I agree, it is more fear than motion sickness for dogs... although I did have a Brit that would only get car sick when I went on one particular road that was extremely windy and long.

I have found it best to take the pup/dog on short, FUN rides at first and avoid roads that are very windy. Go to a friend's house that has a dog that your pup can play with, go to Petco or some place like that that the pup can get out and go in and have fun seeing everyone/every thing. Go to the park or anyplace that your pup can get out and have fun, then get back in and go home. Even if the pup gets car sick at first, normally it doesn't take long for them to learn that car rides mean FUN!

All our poodles will jump into the car if we open the door, even if we are just getting something out and not going anywhere. They jump in, sit on the seat and look at us like "Ok, we're ready to go!" And, Billy and Grace got car sick at first and would drool all over (and threw up) and were reluctant to get into the car at first.

Oh, and DEFINITELY don't feed before leaving, or just give a small amount if you need to feed something and your pup is not really bad about riding. Nothing worse than having them throw up their full meal all over the car seat... YUCK! OH, and make sure you bring towels with you just in case. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I roll the windows down and turn the AC up
I don't crate my dogs while riding unless I HAVE to
mainly because I find that if they can sniff the air outside the car and see out the window they dont get sick.
Most of my guys started out getting sick in the car, but grew out of it. I also don't feed before a trip

·
Registered
20 Posts
All puppies get car sick from stress. You should only take a puppy on short trips. If your puppy gets sick then you are putting him through to much. Your puppy is already getting sick in the car, so taking him on a longer trip would be a very unintelligent decision. Try being pacient with the dog like you would with a child. Take him on short trips that he can handle for a long time. Very slowly when he gets a little older you can take him on longer trips. We don't start children in college, we start by reading books to them and then preschool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts