Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sammy has a harness and seat belt teether that locks into the seat belt restraint in my car. He does always sit in the front passenger seat ( which I know isn't safe). I am a nervous wreck when driving with him in the car!

I have researched car seats/safety restraint systems for toy dogs. but it is confusing. If anyone could guide me towards a good, safe car seat for my approximately 9 lb. poodle, I would really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
3,459 Posts
Noelle rides in a Pupsaver.

She is latched in solid and doesn't move. It's rear facing so if I slam on the brakes, she will go forward into the seat like a catcher's mitt. Noelle is secure and safe, and loves her seat. It passed the same crash tests used for infant seats, too. PupSaver - The Best Crash Tested Dog Car Seat

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clilck n Treat, this is exactly what I was looking for. I will look into ordering it tomorrow!
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I use a Sleepypod harness.

you can find some more information here. Sleepypod Harness for Spoo

I have photos of Babykins wearing her Sleepypod while in the car. I usually have her in the front seat, my car’s air bags don’t open of there’s less than 40 pounds in the front seat.

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have researched the pupsaver and sleepypod systems and think the pupsaver might work best for Sammy. I do have some additional questions for those of you familiar with the pupsaver. There are 2 sizes and Sammy seems to be right in between! Last couple of times he was weighed, he was 8 lbs and 9 lbs respectively. He measured 12 inches tall. So, should I go with the small ( Up to 10 lbs and 12 inches or under ) or the regular ( 10 - 30 lbs and over 12 inches)? Also, one reviewer stated the small was too small for her 8 lb. dog. I don't want his car seat to be too big, but don't want him to outgrow it if he gains a couple lbs.

Is purchasing the compatible harness neccessary or does it come with one?

Also,I have 2 cars that he rides in and Sammy has always ridden in the front seat. One is a new - ish Corolla. He does not weigh enough to activate the passenger airbag. The other is a 1997 Ford expedition, with 1st generation airbags ( so I would love to transition him into the back seat ),

The installation directions seem complicated to me. Was this difficult to install?

Thank you for all the helpful advice! I would really like to get a safe carseat asap.

·
Premium Member
3,459 Posts
Get the bigger size. I install and uninstall my PupSaver all the time. Noelle doesn't trigger the airbag so she rides up front with me most of the time.

The instructions make it sound like you are assembling a space shuttle. It's not nearly as complex as it sounds.

In the front seat:

1. Pull the seatbelt all the way out as far as it goes and clip the little clamp on the seatbelt so it cannot retract. You will know if you got it right. If the seat belt goes, zoom, back into the car door, you messed it up. If you have more seat belt in your hand than you ever knew was possible, you got it right.

2. Buckle the seatbelt and pull as tight as possible. You will end up with a shoulder belt long enough for a giant's shoulders, and a clicked lap belt too skinny for a mouse.

3. Put the car seat in the car. Remember it goes rear facing, so point the chair toward the trunk. There are three plastic clips that snap around the skinny mouse sized lap belt. They will be along the edge of the seat. Snap them around the lap belt. (Ignore the two weird looking metal clips, those are for the back seat)

4. Pull the giant sized shoulder belt under the car seat and clip it to the clips that are under the seat.

5. You'll have one last bit of shoulder belt that threads through a final clip closest to the passenger door.

6. Hang on to the shoulder belt. Remove the clamp. Allow the seatbelt to tension just enough to hold the car seat in place.

It takes about five minutes to install and about two minutes to remove.

The clip for the harness is adjustable so you can shorten it as needed to keep your pup safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts