Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the search function but got a lot of old information, so - does anyone have a recommendation for a good car safety harness or carrier for a mini?

I'm especially interested in your experience with various brands and types of harnesses/carriers.

thanks

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's actually the one that I'd been wondering about.

Do you need the seatbelt tether with it? We'd like him to have limited movement.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have that one also. Once you get the harness adjusted, it's really pretty simple to put on and take off. There is a trick to it which is remembering how to point the buckle before sliding it in to or out of place. It's actually not recommended to use the tether, That's a weak spot in the holding strength.

"Our crash tested harness comes with 3 pieces - the harness itself, a carabiner clip, and a nylon loop tether. The harness and carabiner are used to safely secure your dog in a vehicle, while the nylon loop tether can be used for other training and restraining purposes. The carabiner clip is the most important piece when attaching your dog's harness to the car's seat belt. Take the carabiner and attach it to both the waist and shoulder straps of the seat belt, as shown in the picture. Now, buckle the seat belt."

I don't remember offhand what the formula is to calculate mass and such in a 30mph impact for a 15lb pup, but I think the carabiner needs to be rated for 3000lb or more.

This is their crash test video.
Kurgo Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Small crash test video

the link to all their testing

In 2013 they didn't pass the Center for Pet Safety crash test so they went back and redesigned the harness. They also have another version, the Impact Dog Harness.

Sleepypod Clickit and Sleepypod Terrain versions passed the CPC testing easily, but they don't come small enough for mini's or toys.

The CPC site:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that I'll have to measure Normie, but what size did you get?

He's probably going to outgrow his carrier in about a month when he'll be six months and I'm hoping that whatever harness we get them will expand enough for his full size. If not, I'll shop again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the same Kurgo crash tested harness as well! Great minds think alike....I love it! I did a lot of online research before purchasing it, and I truly think it's the best and safest harness for a dog in the car. I got an XS for my 5 pound toy puppy, he likely won't be bigger than 6-7 pounds full grown. I love the Kurgo harness, and I use the Snoozer Car seat with it as well, so he can sit up high and look out the window during drives. The only thing about it that I don't like is that my teenagers and husband sometimes have a hard time getting it on my puppy because the metal nesting buckles can be finicky if the straps are not lying completely flat. Once you've put the harness on several times, you get the knack pretty quickly. Because my kids and husband sometimes have difficulty getting the Enhanced Strength one on, I also bought the Kurgo quick snap harness for walks and general use. (It looks exactly the same as the Enhanced Strength one except there are plastic snapping clips that are really easy instead of the metal nesting buckles).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also, I do use the Kurgo tether that came with the Kurgo Harness, and attach it to the seat belt. I find that my dog is not happy in the car if he doesn't have that extra few inches of movement that the tether allows for.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Small here for both my guys, Remo about 12-13 lbs and about 16" chest, Neo about 14-15 lbs and about 17-17.5" chest (measured both with them prone lol).

I bought mine off eBay, fwiw. They were 2/3 the Amazon price and both arrived New and unused, as described.

Also fwiw, I unclasp only one side after I got them adjusted. Slip head and leg thru the closed portions, bring the unclasped side up to the clasp, slide it in and done :).

·
Registered
296 Posts
We use the sleepypod harness, and I really like it. It's crash-tested, well-padded, and she can move around/change position. I use it on a standard, but i'm sure there are sizes that would fit a mini.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Unfortunately, Sleepypod doesn't size their harnesses for under 18lbs, so not for most mini's or smaller. I spoke with Customer Service last year before I settled on the Kurgo.

*** I just checked the dimension page there and it looks like the Sport might have fit both my guys based on chest size, tho CS rep didn't think so. Maybe they've changed the sizing a bit? Maybe check with Sleepypod before ordering their harnesses from anywhere?

Sleepypod does offer the closed carriers but that's not ideal for my guys for 6-8 hours in the car. I know their safety should be the first and only priority but I'm not sure they'd do well in those.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts

Do watch that video Pet Safety from a Canadian Broadcasting TV show called Market Place aired back in December 2014 and read through all the information on Welcome to the Science of Pet Safety! including the section on why you should NOT use a tether.

I have a minipoo and I use the sleepypod clikit. Car safely is extremely important to me because my dog an I spend roughly 14 hours in the car each week driving to classes and other activities.

edited to add the word NOT to tether and this link explaining why you shouldn’t. Extension Tether Advisory - Center for Pet Safety.

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I'm glad you all posted about this harness. I think I bought one when my standard was a pup and put it in a drawer and forgot about it. I'm going to go check it out and see what size it is. I'm hoping I bought a larger size, lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
Unfortunately, Sleepypod doesn't size their harnesses for under 18lbs, so not for most mini's or smaller. I spoke with Customer Service last year before I settled on the Kurgo.

*** I just checked the dimension page there and it looks like the Sport might have fit both my guys based on chest size, tho CS rep didn't think so. Maybe they've changed the sizing a bit? Maybe check with Sleepypod before ordering their harnesses from anywhere?

Sleepypod does offer the closed carriers but that's not ideal for my guys for 6-8 hours in the car. I know their safety should be the first and only priority but I'm not sure they'd do well in those.
Ah, I didn't know that! I bought the smallest size sleepypod for Cleo when she was still really young, maybe 14lbs, and it worked for us, but minis may need smaller dimensions. I went by measurements rather than weight, if i recall.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I see a couple comments on here about Sleepypod harnesses not being suitable for a mini poodle, so wanted to jump in and say that like Skylar, we also use a Sleepypod ClickIt Sport for our mini. It's a size small, which according to their website fits a chest size as small as 16.5". I can see how it might be too big for a smaller mini, but I wouldn't discount it entirely without measuring first.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I see a couple comments on here about Sleepypod harnesses not being suitable for a mini poodle, so wanted to jump in and say that like Skylar, we also use a Sleepypod ClickIt Sport for our mini. It's a size small, which according to their website fits a chest size as small as 16.5. I can see how it might be too big for a smaller mini, but I wouldn't discount it entirely without measuring first.
That's good to know. Whoever I spoke with in CS didn't refer to dimensions. Looking over the site, I think I see the conflict. The site states crash testing was 18lbs and over.
I still feel comfortable with the Kurgo and their crash testing but it would be good to know that Sleepypod is an option if they would confirm the testing for under 18lbs.
I need to double check the Kurgo but I think their test dog was closer to my guys weight.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I tried the search function but got a lot of old information, so - does anyone have a recommendation for a good car safety harness or carrier for a mini?

I'm especially interested in your experience with various brands and types of harnesses/carriers.

thanks
I went through several harnesses. The Pug Harness works best for my dog's body, a 20 lb mini-poo.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
That's good to know. Whoever I spoke with in CS didn't refer to dimensions. Looking over the site, I think I see the conflict. The site states crash testing was 18lbs and over.
I still feel comfortable with the Kurgo and their crash testing but it would be good to know that Sleepypod is an option if they would confirm the testing for under 18lbs.
I need to double check the Kurgo but I think their test dog was closer to my guys weight.
-----------------

And, Kurgo used a 25lb test dog. I can only find mention of a 25lb test dog for CPS also.
That leaves me sticking with the Kurgo, partly due to Sleepypods info below.

-------------------

Stuff I learned today

Center for Pet Safety

In 2011 Lindsey Wolko founded the Center for Pet Safety, a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit research and advocacy organization, after her dog Maggie was injured in a car accident. As she researched safety products after the incident she found that there was no testing methodology, no assurance of effectiveness, and without that assurance, consumers could not know which products would work and which ones wouldn’t.

She met with engineers and started building a 55lb bulldog dummy, anatomically correct, stuffed with computer equipment and the same center of gravity as the real animal. That model was used in the pilot project reviewing four products. When the pilot results were released, Subaru of America Inc. signed on to fund the rest of that study. The final tests included a 75-pound golden retriever, 45-pound border collie and a 25-pound terrier mix (test dummies). Subaru partnered again to fund the 2013/14 harness study, in 2015 for the crate and carrier study, and 2018 for pet placement in a 3 row SUV.

From CPS Blog 2018

(With the exception of Piper's Walk, no further harness testing has been made public. Tests were planned for 2019 but no further mention on website.)

"Piper’s Walk: We are grateful to Nudh Suanpan for sharing the story about her beloved dog, Piper, with us. Nudh is a courageous young woman who is working to educate pet owners on the importance of travel restraints for pets. She launched the first annual Piper’s Walk and raised funding to support CPS product testing after her dog was killed in a crash. We invited Nudh to attend the testing at MGA Research in Manassas, Virginia. It was an eye opening experience for her. Two big box pet store brands were tested.

CPS Certified Program: CPS has been counseling brands around the globe who are working toward certification. We do quite a bit of knowledge sharing with industry to ensure they have the information they need as they work to develop or improve products headed for certification. It is quite time consuming, but it is worth it when we see significant improvement in the test lab.

We also anticipate new harness, crate and carrier certifications in 2019….as well as our first international certification!

We’ve also recently recertified updated products and will be posting the test results very soon."

-----------------------------------------

From Sleepypod site faq's

Can small dogs less than 18 pounds use Clickit Sport?
A small dog less than 17-18 pounds tends to have more fragile bone structure, so might be better protected in a carrier in the event of a collision. Check out Sleepypod’s crash tested carriers here.

Do I size up or size down when the measurement is between sizes?
For dogs that are not yet fully grown and within 1 inch of the highest setting, consider sizing up.
Make sure the harness fits tightly before using.
If your dog is full grown, consider sizing down. The fit should be tight, not loose, and fit only three fingers laid flat under the buckles once adjusted correctly.

Can dogs more than 90 pounds use Clickit Sport?
Sizing is based on measurement rather than weight, however, crash testing and certification for the Clickit Sport is for dogs 90 pounds and under.

Can my dog use a booster seat with Clickit Sport?
There are many styles and variables so Sleepypod cannot confidently recommend the use of its safety harnesses in combination with another brand’s booster seat without further testing.

Do I need any additional accessories?
Clickit Sport requires only a three-point seat belt in the rear seat of your vehicle. The seat belt should be a three-point seat belt with both lap and shoulder straps. Additional accessories, like S-Clip and Buckle Shield, are great additions to any trip but are not required.

Can my dog use Clickit Sport in the front seat?
Sleepypod recommends buckling your dog into the rear seat, just as you would a child under 95 pounds, to better ensure safety.

Can Clickit Sport be used in the cargo area?
Sleepypod cannot confidently recommend using Clickit Sport to restrain your pet in the cargo area due to the number of variables. Please be advised that use in the cargo area might reduce safety.

What materials are used?
Clickit Sport is made of ballistic nylon on the front and neoprene padding on the interior. Straps are made of seat belt grade material. Components are stress-tested plastic and metal.

--------------------------------

From Kurgo

October 2018 Note: Kurgo reached out to Center for Pet Safety to explain that they have redesigned this product since the 2013 harness study. We applaud their due diligence to ensure product safety. CPS has not yet retested the Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength harness. We invite Kurgo to learn more about the Center for Pet Safety Certification program and voluntarily certify their harness in the interest of consumer and pet passenger safety.

In June 2018, Kurgo’s Small, Medium and Large Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Smart Harness (v. 3) and Impact Dog Seatbelt Harness (v.1)were tested at Calspan’s Buffalo, NY crash test facility and laboratory test procedure for pet safety harness restraint systems.

The test procedure was developed at the testing facility that maintains the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (“FMVSS) No. 213 for Child Restraint Systems and conducts all of the car seat performance tests for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (“NHTSA”).

The test procedure adapts FMVSS 213’s strict safety standards that are designed to protect children and makes them applicable to dogs.

Kurgo’s harnesses passed the standards two criteria, which are: i) remain within the applicable excursion limits (<= 32 in. for dogs up to 50 lbs. and <= 36 in. for dogs between 51 and 75 lbs.) and maintain their structural integrity post-crash (i.e., hardware and webbing did not break or tear to the point of total failure, which is defined as complete separation).

-----------------------

Three components stand out to me as the difference between passing or failing the testing. Those are the strength of the materials used, the quality of the connections on the harness and from the harness to the seatbelt, and the correct fit of the harness.

Those things considered, and the test results looking good, tho not conducted by CPS, I'll stay with the Kurgo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts