Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's thoughts on canned food?
I thought about getting Flip some canned wellness puppy or even the grain free core stuff to add to his dry (Orijen large breed puppy) food to entice him to eat more.
I'm not sure if I want to go down the road of canned food forever, but if I have to I will.
I hate how thin he is :(

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Mitchell gets 2 tablespoons of solid gold chicken liver canned food in his dinner. He loves his food with or without it, but when we mix a bit in for Matrix who is a picky eater, he gobbles it all up.

Real chicken and ground beef are better alternatives though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use canned food once in awhile for a treat or in Lucy's kong. I don't know if it's the right thing to do, but I'll mix in a little oatmeal, rice, fruit or whatever is left over & she'll gobble her food up. I don't do it on a regular basis so she doesn't always have to have something extra to eat. Dogs do seem to love canned food.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi, I have been feeding wellness canned food to my poodle and yorkies. I have had no problems at all. They also get wellness dry as well. My oldest yorkie is 10 yrs old and grew up on canned food. The same with my poodle she is 1yr & 9mos. Every one is happy and healthy. Oh, and we have no loose stools, yearly blood panels come back great. :)
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Hi, I have been feeding wellness canned food to my poodle and yorkies. I have had no problems at all. They also get wellness dry as well. My oldest yorkie is 10 yrs old and grew up on canned food. The same with my poodle she is 1yr & 9mos. Every one is happy and healthy. Oh, and we have no loose stools, yearly blood panels come back great. :)
I hope this helps.
No lose stools? Thats great!

I feed mine a mix of kibble and soft only in the morning because I am working on their picky eating. BUT anytime I went straight canned or soft food. They got lose stools BIG TIME.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up going with one of those tubes of raw stuff from the wholistic pet store, we'll see what he thinks/how he does tonight. I just want to entice him to pay more attention to his puppy food...and I want him to put on some weight.

I hardly cook for my husband, so cooking for the dog is pretty unlikely. Don't want to hurt any feelings. :violin:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Bailey's been having skin issues (the fleas showed up in late Sept and won't die!) and he's always been hard to keep weight on. He absolutely hates kibble and will only eat it if he's starving. I've been buying canned food lately and am happy w/ the results. The brand I bought is Nature's Recipe venison and I really like it. I even smells like sweet potatoes. I bought some Blue Buffalo Salmon today, we'll see how that goes. I figure he could use the omega 3s. Bailey has an iron stomache and can handle anything and everything. I've also been giving chicken wings and he gets "people food" quite often too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts