Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend something for good spot cleaning for butt, legs, paws, etc?

Flip is always picking up mud and miscellaneous debris from outside, and our training sessions are held in an arena with one of those 'tire mat' floors. It's the same thing they use for their indoor doggy daycare and it was wet/muddy last night and he's a mess. I JUST gave him a bath Friday, and don't want to bathe him too much or dry out his skin. Any suggestions? Warm water and a rag isn't quite cutting it, and those 'buddy wipe' things or whatever they are called kind of suck. :/

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I use Chris Christensen's "Show Off" for spot cleaning. I used it the other day for the first time on Vinnie (I had only previously used it on my IGs and Whippet). It is a no rinse shampoo type spray. I just sprayed it on his front legs (he peed on them :biggrin:) and towel dried them and brushed them out. Worked great.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I've been using a waterless shampoo called Pet Head between baths. It smells nice and seems to do a good job, although I haven't had to try it on muddy fur yet.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When Gracie has been outside digging for chipmunks...I get a bucket of water that I fill about 6 inches. I stand one leg at a time in the bucket till her foot and lower leg are clean. I dry her off with a towel. She doesn't seem to mind. I wipe her face with a damp towel (she sticks her nose in all the holes). Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
When Gracie has been outside digging for chipmunks...I get a bucket of water that I fill about 6 inches. I stand one leg at a time in the bucket till her foot and lower leg are clean. I dry her off with a towel. She doesn't seem to mind. I wipe her face with a damp towel (she sticks her nose in all the holes). Hope this helps
(love your avatar Alicia)
Hey you can do this same thing with a cheap litter box for cats, minus the kitty litter of course. Just another option for a bucket, you could do two feet at a time in the litter box, or any other low sided tupperwear type container.

I use a waterless shampoo from petedge, the green tea and mint stuff, it's Ok. Mostly I like how it smells. I have another called self rinse, but I have no idea who sells it. I always pick up a bottle or two once a year or so at a dog show. I bet the pet head stuff would do ok removing mud and you can get that in a lot of pet stores now.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you thank you thank you!
:)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
It's ironic that I was just looking at waterless shampoo for dogs at PetCo this week and then I saw this thread. Taffy is always coming in from playtime with her legs muddy from her feet to her knees. I would have to bathe her every day and that isn't an option. I think I will try one of these products to help keep her clean between baths.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am torn between "Show Off" and "Pet Head".
I have used the Bed Head line on myself! Hehehe.

What do they smell like? :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The Pet Head waterless has the same kind of scent that a lot of human hair styling products have. I haven't used the Bed Head products myself, but the Pet Head scent kinda reminds me of Aussie Sprunch Spray.

Several people have commented that they like the way Teddy smells when I've used it on him.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yeah personally, Paris has 6 inches of hair on her hocks, so when they're muddy, they're rather beyond a simple dry shampoo!!! I am best to just dunk & swish in a bucket of warm water to remove the mud!!! I guess I could use a product after then, but I never do.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the Show Off stuff, and I have to say, it is AWESOME!!!!!
It's perfect and works great for mud, pee, whatever else my rough and tumble guy gets into.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Glad you liked it - I love it. I hardly ever have to use it, but it's great when you don't need a full groom, but have a dirty area.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Flip likes to get his back paws muddy, then scratch at his head, leaving a big dirty spot on his face and ears. This works perfectly on that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts