Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being home on winter break I had to leave my little 9 mo. old Rudy home in his crate and I feel so sad and worried about him. So, I get to work and in one of the emails from Dr. Becker about calming anxiety called Canine Lullabies. I'm seriously thinking of getting a CD player and the CD to play for him while I'm at work. I live with my daughter, son in law and grand children, one who is 13 and most of the time they forget to let him out when I'm gone which stresses him even more!
Thoughts? Anyone ever used them? I leave him with the lights and TV on but these seem more targeted for separation anxiety, especially after a wonderful eleven days of bonding and play.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Aww its always so difficult leaving our babies. Howling will he be crated each day while you are gone? My typical routine for any dog I've owned is 4 hours during daytime, then a potty break. Perhaps your 13year old grand daughter would like it to be a job. You could make a chart for the times she takes him out and what he does. And pay her weekly. This may give her an incentive to remember. We actually keep a paper taped to our back door. My husband sometimes can't remember or typically if one of us takes his dog out, if won't take her again so this way he knows. All we do is write p=9:30 p&poo 10: whatever. That way anyone in the house will know if she should be taken out. Our other dogs we don't keep a record since he doesn't typically take them out. Its just become a habit that we've done since she was a tiny pup. My st poodle always has a radio on at night, unless I forget. It was helpful when he was little now he doesn't need it but I usually do it anyway. Does Rudy have anxiety when you put him in his crate. I'm sure any kind of noise is soothing to our pups whether its the tv or a cd.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Mufar42! My grandson is very very forgetful! I've tried paying him and he still forgets. I think Rudy also resents that I leave because I made a point of leaving each day for awhile and he peed in the crate even though he is totally house trained. Little stinker! I think I'm going to start taping a sign to the back of the toilet for him! I would lean towards leaving him out but because I live with my daughter etc. and they have two wiener dogs upstairs plus a 3 year old that leave anything and everything strewn about that could be dangerous to a curious 9 month old up I put him in the crate with a chewy stick and two kongs that have cheese or peanut butter in them.
Rudy kinda likes his crate. He'll go in there even when I'm not going anywhere

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you stream it? I'm good enough to be dangerous on the computer but how would you go about playing it for your dog when you're away?

·
Registered
8,202 Posts

Here is one for example. If I'm gone for, say, 4 hours, I will fast forward it to the point that it only plays for 2 hours so they have some music and some quiet time. I also un-check the box for auto play, so they're not listening the whole time. (I'd just get sick of hearing the music the whole time if I were the dogs.)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I subscribe to DogTV and for my dog it really works. There’s different themes, resting, active, etc. Plus the main live link cycles different themes depending on time of day and at nighttime plays a deep sleeping theme until morning.
I turn it on and pick whichever mood I want to encourage for Mimi and usually she responds accordingly.
I think the music cues her into a mood even more than the visuals, so audio only like lullabies would also be a great aid.
DogTV really helps me to settle Mimi down after playing even in the middle of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
After being home on winter break I had to leave my little 9 mo. old Rudy home in his crate and I feel so sad and worried about him. So, I get to work and in one of the emails from Dr. Becker about calming anxiety called Canine Lullabies. I'm seriously thinking of getting a CD player and the CD to play for him while I'm at work. I live with my daughter, son in law and grand children, one who is 13 and most of the time they forget to let him out when I'm gone which stresses him even more!
Thoughts? Anyone ever used them? I leave him with the lights and TV on but these seem more targeted for separation anxiety, especially after a wonderful eleven days of bonding and play.
Hi Charlee Ann, My story and the Canine Lullabies was the one featured on Dr. Beckers website. You don't need a CD player to play my Canine Lullabies for Rudy. It can be streamed on most all streaming services or you can get a wireless battery operated Speaker Player pre-loaded with 18 Canine Lullabies. It will play up to 14 hours without having to be re-charged. Satisfaction Guaranteed. Rudy can listen to a Canine Lullaby free on my website. caninelullabies.com

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sandman! What a wonderful thing you created! I never expected a reply since my original post was so long ago! Rudy is doing well and I will definitely have these playing for him! Thank you again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sandman! What a wonderful thing you created! I never expected a reply since my original post was so long ago! Rudy is doing well and I will definitely have these playing for him! Thank you again!
Hi Charleen, I did not realize you posted it a long time ago. I saw your post on a google search which led me to Poodle Forum. I was a hit record producer, songwriter and music publisher in the 70's and 80,s and left the music business when I saw this same music calm babies after open heart Surgery in a C.I.C.U. It has been used in over 8,000 hospitals and special care centers to comfort infants and children. Military new parent support programs give it to new parents to prevent infant abuse. Crying is the primary trigger for infant abuse. The music will stop babies from crying often in just a few seconds. I didn't know the same music would calm dogs until many years later.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sandman, Your reply was worth waiting for! Up until you responded I used the music that was available online to soothe my little guy Rudy. Would you mind if I shared the link with our home visiting teachers? I still work at Head Start and the home visiting teachers work with infants and their mothers. I know when I was a new mother having this would have made a big difference! Do you have a poodle? Rudy is a miniature and black. Best friend and buddy for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sandman, Your reply was worth waiting for! Up until you responded I used the music that was available online to soothe my little guy Rudy. Would you mind if I shared the link with our home visiting teachers? I still work at Head Start and the home visiting teachers work with infants and their mothers. I know when I was a new mother having this would have made a big difference! Do you have a poodle? Rudy is a miniature and black. Best friend and buddy for sure.
Hi Charleen, Me and my ex girlfriend's dog was a Border Collie. He worked in her art gallery in Colorado Springs. Here is a video we did featuring Cutter Bill and the Canine Lullabies before he died.
Head Start parents can stream free Heartbeat Lullabies by searching Heartbeat Lullabies Singers on most all streaming services or search canine lullabies which is the same music. I also give a big discount to Head Start Programs if they want to give CDs to their parents. www.babygotosleep.com The wireless battery operated speaker/player pre-loaded with the music can only be seen on the canine site right now. Head Start programs can get them for half price.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is part of the "deal" when we get a pet. I lost my husband and three labs in the span of two years. One I had to decide to put her down on the spot at the vets. She had hemangeo (sp) cardinoma. If I took her home it would just be waiting for her spleen to rupture and she bleed to death internally. Hardest decision I've ever had to make. They do tug at our heart!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts