Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dogs are due for their annual shots in a few days. I was wondering if we should get the canine influenza shots for them. A lot of boarding facilities still require them. Is it needed for training clubs?

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
My training club does not require anything other than rabies for adult dogs, and neither do trials. I refuse to give my dogs the canine influenza vaxx series as there is no point other than being a moneymaker for vets. A canine flu is a mild illness that an adult dog will easily recover from, plus there are many strains of flu that the shot may not cover anyway. It is like bordetella and leptospirosis in that way.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Also, I'm concerned because I noticed you said "annual" shots. Does FL require annual rabies? In CA it is every three years. I personally titer for parvo/distemper.

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
We do not immunize for influenza and our local clubs do not require it. We haven't really had any on Long Island, but it has been in New Jersey at some shows. The local show community is pretty well networked and news about it travels fast.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
It's not required here either.

There was a bad outbreak in the state next to us last year. Lots of dogs were going back and forth for competition. We have several vets participating in dog sports with us. Those vets got it for their dogs and recommended the rest of us get our dogs vaccinated too. Babykins got vaccinated at that time.

I wouldn't bother vaccinating her now if it was offered since there is no nearby threat.

Reactions: snow0160

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I refuse to give my dogs the canine influenza vaxx series as there is no point other than being a moneymaker for vets.
I actually really disagree with this statement, and statements like this really hurt dogs in the long run as it makes people less trustful of vets and less likely to go to a vet for things.

Be thankful that influenza is not an issue there and that you don't need the vaccine. Here in Louisville KY, there was a Major outbreak last summer. Over 50 adult dogs ended up dying from it, and Hundreds were very sick. I personally know clients who's very healthy adult dog was hit with it and died of pneumonia, so No, it is not just a money maker vaccine. Because the whole community and surrounding areas were vaccinating so heavily for the 2 strains that were prominent here (and lots of research about which strains we were actually dealing with), we have not seen much of the flu this year. Some odd cases and outbreaks, but Nothing like last year. Last year the emergency vet hospitals had outside mobile units to see and house all the cases and any suspected cases were not allowed inside their actual buildings.

It's your choice to vaccinate, but please don't make harsh and inaccurate statements like that. Vaccines actually do save lives and actually work...

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Are you kidding? There was a huge outbreak in CA last year. Not one dog died that I know of. Sure, a few dogs were sick and some were hospitalized. But guess what? Some of them had already had the vaccines! So, if the vaccines are clearly not effective (and I'm talking multiple people's dogs from the dog park plus Frosty's brother had the vaccine and then got sick), what is the point??

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are you kidding? There was a huge outbreak in CA last year. Not one dog died that I know of. Sure, a few dogs were sick and some were hospitalized. But guess what? Some of them had already had the vaccines! So, if the vaccines are clearly not effective (and I'm talking multiple people's dogs from the dog park plus Frosty's brother had the vaccine and then got sick), what is the point??
If canine influenza is anything like human influenza, it mutates quickly and therefore it is notoriously difficult to create a vaccine for it. That's a big issue.

A sick dog that requires hospitalization is a much bigger 'moneymaker' than a quick jab at the clinic. I hate the thought that any vet is solely profit driven with no regard to animal health. Every vet I've ever met loves animals and works very hard - none of them are in it for the money.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
If canine influenza is anything like human influenza, it mutates quickly and therefore it is notoriously difficult to create a vaccine for it. That's a big issue.

Yes.

A sick dog that requires hospitalization is a much bigger 'moneymaker' than a quick jab at the clinic.
But remember, hardly any will require hospitalization. Most recover on their own. And, most don't even get canine influenza. And by the way, it's two vaccines that are needed. So, a minimum of $60-100 per dog vaccinated x 1,000 dogs in a practice vs. maybe $5,000 for the, let's say three, that needed hospitalization. HUGE moneymaker. I do not deny that most vets are in business for the right reasons and I love my vets, but I refuse to fall victim to this scam.

·
Super Moderator
3,065 Posts
I dunno, ZM, I think BigPoodlePerson and SpicAndSpan made good points.

If I lived in a high risk area during a major outbreak and took Bella around other dogs, I wouldn't take any chances. Yes, it might not be effective like the human vacs aren't always either, but then again, it could offer life saving protection.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would vaccinate for this if I had a dog at high risk. An example of high risk would be a show puppy going out with a handler in an area with an outbreak (e.g., the midwest and FL last year).

I do minimal vaccines and have never vaccinated for kennel cough, but canine flu can be quite nasty.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I didn’t mean to start an argument. Florida’s outbreak was pretty bad last year. The vet in my area had to quarantine the whole facility. However, ZM is correct in that the vaccination isn’t a guarantee like the shingles vaccination. It reduces likelihood. Annual vaccines is a way for vets to make money that is why I have two vets. I have a low cost vaccine vet and a regular vet who oversees general health.

Vaccines are incredibly cheap to administer. Annual shots, if you order in bulk, should cost an individual less than $10 per dog. But vets do run a business so they would mark that up with an exam. I think good points are made on both sides. I’m gonna wait and decide at the last moment. Their apt is on Friday.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
No worries, snow. I've had this argument on Nextdoor.com and my dog park FB group earlier this year when there was a "major outbreak" of canine influenza here in northern CA and the ridiculous hysteria that ensued. The bottom line is that the canine influenza vaccine series is NOT effective. Do your own research, draw your own conclusions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts