Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a good analgesic/anti-inflammatory cream I could safely use on one of Tonka's legs? One seems to be bothering him. Licked and chewed free of hair, and favouring it a bit. Arthritis maybe??

I could likely get some Metacam from the vet but would rather try to treat the specific site of an ache... and treat it topically.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I don't know of any topicals that could be safely ingested if Tonka is licking that much but there is a men and womens joint warmer that slips on like a long sock that my sister has used on her elbows and knees (she has arthritis) that keep them warm and pretty painless called 'Heat Holders Joint Warmers' sold on Amazon. Perhaps with alterations if needed, they might work to help soothe some the pain.

Reactions: Countryboy

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I would get the Metacam. I don't think anything else will be effective. I know if I'm in pain, Ibuprofen is the only thing that works. I hope Tonka feels better soon.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Do NOT give Ibuprofen to dogs it is highly toxic! :afraid:

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Just to be clear, I was in no way suggesting to give a dog Ibuprofen!!!!! Only saying that when I'm in pain, I need a strong medication. The equivalent for dogs is Metacam.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
My cairn terrier has had pain in her rear leg and would whimper if she walked too much . We went to the vet and it appeared fine just sore. He attributed to her getting arthritis. I think he gave her pain medicine for a few days along with Glucosamine and Chondroitin and a fish oil tablet ( I'll look up the brand later and add it, probably in another post). It all worked. Afterwards she was back to normal and I continued the supplements. Then I ran out and she was fine for the past year, so I haven't given her any again. Though ironically yesterday she started favoring the leg so I will start the supplements again.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, for your suggestions.

I can dose him too with Aspirin. It's not good long-term, but what is 'long term' with a 14 year old dog...

He's driving me nutz! Constantly licking and chewing at his legs and can't seem to get comfortable. I've got a whole raft of Phenobarbitol left over from prior treatments, but I don't wanna get back to jamming a pill down his throat twice a day. And Phenobarb is only a sedative anyway.

Maybe I'll have to work out a deal with the vet on Metacam...

PS: I just phoned the vet's receptionist. Metacam comes in bottles of from 10ml to 170ml... about a dollar a ml overall. Maybe that's the way to go.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
I think it’s time to have your vet direct the treatments. Metacam, fish oil, anti anxiety meds etc. in whatever dosage ranges are safe for a senior. What non-pharmaceutical options might bring relief in the vet’s experience? Heating pads, ointments... Wintering in the Caribbean? Sorry Tonka is so uncomfortable. Getting old sucks!

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it’s time to have your vet direct the treatments.
Oh, ya! I'll bet he'd love to move back to the Caribbean. lol

We've been dealing with this issue as an itch. Tried a couple of meds with no luck. The vet is good with Metacam, but I thought I'd try the anti-itch one more time. Silly me...

She did go over his legs and joints and said nothing about arthritis. But I'll see her soon specifically for that issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts