Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use this? I have been using Taste of the Wild for the longest time..it was much easier for me to find in Shreveport..

I've currently been buying two bags at a time just to give me enough time to search around in case I have trouble finding it. Twice I have had to order it online because the place I usually purchase it from has been out of stock.

There is a grooming shop that carries Canidae dog food and seem to always have it available. I've heard good things about it but thought I would ask here to see if anyone has any experience with it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Canidae is an ok brand....they have the normal kibble as well as grain free. I would say totw might be a little higher quality but not by a huge margin so it should be ok for them as long as you stick with the grain free formula since thats what they are used to.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It USED to be good but now its made by Diamond in the Diamond plants. NO thanks....everything coming thru the tubes, tunnels, conveyer belts etc is contaminated when they get a load of wheat from China or Carcasses from diseased Canadian animals....there is not a very strict regulation in those HUGE plants. I used it for a couple years about 8 years ago when it was good. It helped my dogs immensely especially my little elderly shi-poo.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I used to use it before they changed their formula without telling anyone. Rather than let any of us know, so we could change gradually, they stopped selling the old stuff and started selling the new. Lots of dogs got sick. Now I feed Wellness Core.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i am currently feeding my dogs canidae along w/ a rotation of natural balance and california naturals. i also have fed my dogs wellness which i love too and will add back to the rotation.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I absolutely love Merrick's, and so does Teddy. I'm so glad to have found a food that he would gobble down without having to have it dressed up with shredded cheese. I was feeding him Puppy Plate and Grammy's Pot Pie, but I tried the Working Dog Stew last night and I think that's his new favorite. I really think that if I had put the whole can's contents in his bowl, he would have eaten until he exploded.

I think if I decide to start feeding him dry food, I will probably stay with Merrick's.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
We used Canidae with Matrix for quite some time and it was okay, but not that great. His coat was pretty dry on that food.

I would say it's an okay food.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I hate to bust anyones bubble but Merricks foods are not that great. They ARE filled with tasty bits and nicer texture but its a high priced Beneful, with colorful bits and different shapes. I don't have the information right in front of me but I believe it contains wheat or wheat gluten and other fragments. I could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I hate to bust anyones bubble but Merricks foods are not that great. They ARE filled with tasty bits and nicer texture but its a high priced Beneful, with colorful bits and different shapes. I don't have the information right in front of me but I believe it contains wheat or wheat gluten and other fragments. I could be wrong on that.
Are you talking about the Merrick's dry food? I don't see any wheat products in the ingredients list on the canned food.

Dog Food Reviews - Merrick Puppy Plate - Powered by ReviewPost

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I've feed Canadae in the past and now feed Prairie by Natures Variety. I also feed raw and the dogs do eat chicken necks and wings. The bones are completely digestible and don't splinter if not cooked and it's a great treat instead of rawhide. I also add sweet potato, an egg, cut string beans, and carrot finely grated. Two sites you may find helpful are dogfoodscoop.com and dogfoodanalysis.com. Hope this helps, Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts