Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for decent food without any chicken at all in it and trying to stay away from fish as well do to the smell when she licks which she tends to do.
Canadian here so hard to get a lot of food

Looking at the blue basics turkey

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I'm currently trying the Natural Balance LID (Limited Ingredient Diet) The one I'm trying right now happens to be Sweet Potato and Fish (Salmon), but they also have Sweet Potato and Venison, Potato and Duck and Sweet Potato and Bison... I think those are the only varieties, but they are a food designed to eliminate potential food allergies. They are grain-free but not super-high protein - the starches of the potatos help keep the protein levels lower (I think... I'm not a great food analyzer but it made sense to me!) :) Hope you can find something good!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plum I used them before but don't you feel like your paying 50 bucks for a bag of potatoes
the meat in them is very limited I read. I was hoping for a meat first but might be wanting tomuchLOL

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Plum I used them before but don't you feel like your paying 50 bucks for a bag of potatoes
the meat in them is very limited I read. I was hoping for a meat first but might be wanting tomuchLOL
Them's some darn good potatos though!! :lol: Actually, I also would like to find something that has meat first, but according to the dog food analysis website, they say that food fits the PURPOSE (which is to limit allergic reactions) They go on to say that they would advise to supplement the meat content with more meat (probably raw and I'm still :scared: of raw!)

My plan is to try this for 3 - 6 months and see how Lucy does on it. She has been having issues with greasy waxy stuff in her ears and I'm thinking it may either be the grains or the protein sources in her past food - I just want to see if this works - I may change again someday :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm not positive... but you can check out the red meat formula of EVO, Origens and Canidae. And wouldn't Taste of the Wild, (yellow bag) not have any poultry?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Natural Balance has venison and sweet potato, fish and sweet potato and duck and potato
Orijen has their 6 fish formula or red
Fromm has multiple ones without chicken
Instict has very unique formulas like rabbit, not sure if its grain free though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm using the Acana Pacifica which is several types of fish 55% and 45% vegies (like kelp) no chicken turkey or beef, 0% grains. Both my dogs do great on it and it is widely distributed in Canada ( I buy mine at Global), produced by Champion Pet foods in Alberta. Without grain there is little chance of allergies, & it is high in Omegas too!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We used natural balancefor casey when he had his pooping issues. Just felt like to much money for potatoes.

I never had a problem with Mandy chewing until we did the Natures variety ( which Casey did great on but she started chewing. )
I wasn't working for awhile, seperated from husband, got back together and moved to new town anyways put them both on Kirkland which Casey does great on she is still chewing.

I think I will try the blue Basics turkey ( trying to get rid of fish smell) and go from there something totally new to her Limited ingredients as well
I also liked the lifestyle ? line but I think it is to limited in fat for her as she is a tiny girl who needs her fat. She actually put on weight on the kirkland finally and is actually over 30lbs and not all bony just pink from chewing herself.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Orijen scares me the high protien I am not convinced it is safe. Though she has ate the fish one ( want rid of fish smell) not sure in ontario we can get the red meat one.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't believe the new Blue Buffalo Wildnerness has any chicken. Actually, I'm pretty sure it doesn't, because Chicken gives my dogs diarrhea.

·
Registered
258 Posts
go natural has a salmon and oatmeal formula that my dogs have done very well on and the protein content is not overly high. Its not very fishy smelling either.

·
Registered
356 Posts
When I am home in Canada, my dogs are on Acana Lamb and Apple - have to say my dogs LOVE it. One of my poodles has food allergy issues (chews her skin raw) and since she's been on this, her itching is GONE. Another of my poodles has issues with chicken - she loves this food and is fine on it.

Unfortunately, that food is not available in the US - so they are on Blue Basics salmon and potato - ingredient list to die for and they love it.

Both the Acana lamb and apple and the blue salmon and potato have NO chicken in them. ABsolutely none.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Orijen scares me the high protien I am not convinced it is safe. Though she has ate the fish one ( want rid of fish smell) not sure in ontario we can get the red meat one.
Honestly good luck on the fish smell being gone........I have been through several brands right now they are on Taste of Wild Vension/Prairie Blend (the yellow bag) and Suri still smells like fish:doh:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh I forgot about solid gold.
I ended up just getting a bag of TOTW for now and then the charcoal cookies and itching seams better already.

When I went to get the small bag of Blue it was 24 bucks for 4 lbs I think NOT it isn't made of gold for heavens sake.
I looked at Acana had it in my hand as I am not sure she has ever had red meats and in my search ended up not getting anything till Sunday and I work till Fri 9-4 so didn't want to try something new when not home all day.
She does well on TOTW I just don't like the smell so hopefuly the charcoal cookies help that for now.
The acana I will try when off for a few days this weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts