Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between cream and black puppy (though we can switch if need be, they’d like us to choose a color!). I’m drawn to the cream, DH is afraid he will be hard to keep clean. I worry you can’t take pictures of a black dog. Cream are yellow undertones.

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
I also worried I couldn’t take good photos of a black poodle, but we ultimately ended up choosing based on temperament and I quickly learned to capture my girl. :)

But you can browse photos of white and cream poodles here:

Since you don’t have a strong preference either way, I’d ask your breeder to make a recommendation for you based on the best fit with your lifestyle. They’ll know their puppies’ temperaments best.

·
Super Moderator
2,721 Posts
Galen is almost impossible to see at night. I got him a reflective harness and lights for his collar, so I could walk him more safely. When I let him loose in the yard after dark I can't see whether he has stopped to pee or poop. He disappears into the shadows. My parti boys were a lot more visible due to their big white spots.

My parti boys could get surprisingly dirty before it was obvious they needed a bath. Given that poodles should go to the groomer monthly anyhow, I wouldn't worry about normal dirt unless you have red clay exposed in your yard.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Galen is almost impossible to see at night. I got him a reflective harness and lights for his collar, so I could walk him more safely. When I let him loose in the yard after dark I can't see whether he has stopped to pee or poop. He disappears into the shadows. My parti boys were a lot more visible due to their big white spots.

My parti boys could get surprisingly dirty before it was obvious they needed a bath. Given that poodles should go to the groomer monthly anyhow, I wouldn't worry about normal dirt unless you have red clay exposed in your yard.
The losing in the dark is a good point! Fortunately no red clay here.... just regular old gray dirt. Lol

·
Registered
649 Posts
reputable breeders usually don't give you a choice, they collect your prefrences sure, but they don't usually allow you to pick based on color.

Why? because that pretty cream spoo might be more energetic and restless, while the black spoo is calm and well behaved... or vise versa.

Personally, I'd ask your breeder to choose a dog for you based on its temperment, and what you want in a dog.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
reputable breeders usually don't give you a choice, they collect your prefrences sure, but they don't usually allow you to pick based on color.

Why? because that pretty cream spoo might be more energetic and restless, while the black spoo is calm and well behaved... or vise versa.

Personally, I'd ask your breeder to choose a dog for you based on its temperment, and what you want in a dog.
They breed for temperament over color/look so that’s a consideration. They are only selling some of the puppies so if we choose/prefer one color but another color ends up being a better match temperament wise she’s ok with switching us to that one. They have experience matching up service dogs with new owners/trainers depending on their different requirements, so we are hoping/expecting that to also be a consideration. I think the litter is half and half so there’s some flexibility on choice. I am almost just thinking it doesn’t matter on color but they’ve asked us a a couple of times our preference on color. My son just says “A calm, friendly dog, please!” That’s how I feel, too! I may just ask if they’ll match us based on temperament instead and we can be “surprised.” That’s the way our first dog was, and she was THE BEST DOG for us!

·
Registered
152 Posts
My first two spoos were black, so I have a soft spot for black poodles. However, clipping toenails and other grooming tasks are a lot easier on light colors if your vision isn't that great. My last black girl needed twice daily eye drops during her final year and when she saw them coming, she would squeeze her eyes shut so tightly that I would have trouble seeing where the openings were. Both black girls lost a toe to toe cancer, a cancer mostly seen in black dogs, as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
This is my spoo Sally at about 4 months and today at 15 months. She’s Apricot, but appears mostly Cream. I adopted her 2 weeks ago and now we are in lockdown and unable to get in to the groomers. Luckily she loves to be brushed and combed, but she needs her face and feet done ASAP! View attachment 472483 View attachment 472484 View attachment 472483 View attachment 472484
Cute girl!! Many of us poodle owners have found ourselves in a similar situation this year with covid. I highly recommend investing in clippers and doing a little bit at home, here and there, just using your groomer’s lines as a guide. The less overgrown they are, the easier it is.

I let it go way too long in the spring, assuming lockdown wouldn’t last nearly as long as it did. Peggy was a mess! And probably not very comfortable. So I finally started hacking away at her. But I wish I’d started sooner and just stayed ahead of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is my spoo Sally at about 4 months and today at 15 months. She’s Apricot, but appears mostly Cream. I adopted her 2 weeks ago and now we are in lockdown and unable to get in to the groomers. Luckily she loves to be brushed and combed, but she needs her face and feet done ASAP! View attachment 472483 View attachment 472484 View attachment 472483 View attachment 472484
Oh my cuteness...I love that look. The pups I’ve seen look a lot like her as a puppy but with lighter ears. I wonder if that means anything about how they’ll look as adults! She’s gorgeous in the snow!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would never get a black dog because I can't see in the dark. My last dog wore a battery operated light so I could tell where he was. Once he went out to the road for a jog!

As for dirt, you should comb out your poodle once a week, or every other week because they don't seem to shake off the dirt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all! We expressed the cream preference, and since there are half of the litter that color she feels there should be one that color with the right temperament for us, but will adjust if needed! So excited!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would never get a black dog because I can't see in the dark. My last dog wore a battery operated light so I could tell where he was. Once he went out to the road for a jog!

As for dirt, you should comb out your poodle once a week, or every other week because they don't seem to shake off the dirt.
This is one of my biggest worries with a black dog, too! We like camping and have a fairly large yard with lots of dark corners. I like allowing our dogs to run around off leash, and especially in the winter it gets dark here super early. It’s dark when we get home for work most days November-January.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts