Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

At 8 weeks old, can you more or less predict how big a puppy will grow to relative to its litter mates?

i.e. smaller at 8 weeks equals smaller adult?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
There is a formula people use, and many posts of people showing the growing charts of their dogs. Try a search on the forum.

Also, smaller at 8 weeks does not necessarily mean smaller as an adult, but it can be an indicator even if not 100% fully reliable. Especially if the puppy is/was the runt of the litter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dechi!

Along those lines... is it somewhat reliable that a female puppies are smaller than male puppies in the same litter?

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Thanks Dechi!

Along those lines... is it somewhat reliable that a female puppies are smaller than male puppies in the same litter?
Female usually have a smaller bone structure and will be smaller as a general rule. A good breeder knows at a certain point how big their puppies will be. To a point. For example, Beckie’s breeder said she would be around 6-8 lbs, and she is 8 lbs.

I would really not base my choice on weight. It should not be an important factor, and if it is, then maybe you’re not buying the right size poodle. If you want a small standard, some breeders are known to breed for smaller dogs. Size within a miniature or toy litter will be pretty even. Some bigger, some smaller, but the difference will still be small.

What you want to look for is the ideal temperament for your household : more or less energy, easy going, with more drive, etc. Dogs are with us for a long time and having a dog who disrupts the home because he doesn’t fit can be a looooong nightmare.

If this is your first dog, you need to look for a dog with an easy temperament. The breeder will have to choose the dog for you in any case, based on your family needs and lifestyle. No backyard breeder will do so. You need to go with a good, ethical breeder.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Are you looking for a toy, mini, or standard? Predicting size is really pretty, ummm, unpredictable. Your first best indication is the size of the parents and previous generations. Have you seen the parents?

That said, my mini boys both well outgrew their parents but did keep their size difference relative to each other. YMMV.

Weight is easier to gauge while they're young, wiggly puppies, but ultimately, height is the differentiator among the varieties.

from POODLE PUPPY GROWTH CHARTS
I dont hold a lot of stock in the size charts for poodles out there but I have gotten so many requests for them I decided to post some of the better ones here. Remember though, there are NO weight restrictions on poodles only height so really weight doesnt have a lot to do with the poodle. Toys are 10 inches in height and under. Miniatures are over 10 inches to 15 inches.Standards are over 15 inches. This by the breed standards for both AKC and UKC.
NOTE: A poodles height is measured from the ground up to the top of the withers (shoulder blades).

HEIGHT CHART FOR TOY POODLES

AGE IN WEEKSHEIGHT IN INCHES
5 WEEKS5 INCHES

8 WEEKS

6 INCHES
12 WEEKS
7 INCHES
16 WEEKS
8 INCHES

20 WEEKS

9 INCHES

24 WEEKS

10 INCHES

Toy poodles are usually finished growing in height at 6-7 months although it may take them a bit longer to fill out.

Here is another height chart for toy poodles.

AGE IN WEEKSHEIGHT IN INCHES
8 WEEKS5 3/4 INCHES
12 WEEKS6 3/4 INCHES
6 MONTHS9 3/4 INCHES

HEIGHT CHART FOR MINIATURE POODLES

AGE IN MONTHSHEIGHT IN INCHES
8 WEEKS8 - 8.5 INCHES
3 MONTHS10 - 10.5 INCHES
4 MONTHS11 - 11.5 INCHES
6 MONTHS13.5 - 14 INCHES

Some miniature poodles will take up to 12 months to finish growing. Some will finish growing in height around 6-7 months but may take a bit longer to fill out.

HEIGHT CHART FOR STANDARD POODLES

AGE IN MONTHSHEIGHT IN INCHES
8 WEEKS12 - 13 INCHES
3 MONTHS14 INCHES
4 MONTHS18-19 INCHES
6 MONTHS21+ INCHES
FULL GROWN (USUALLY 24 MONTHS)24-27 INCHES

Standard poodles can take up to 2 years to finish growing and filling out.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
As Dechi said, it is best to have a pup chosen based on temperament rather than size, though if you have multiple suitably tempered pups it could help you decide. It seems that the smaller pups in a litter will tend to remain smaller than their larger siblings even as adults. But it is not totally predictable. If I had chosen by size alone I would have ended up with a different dog than the one I have. In the end, you will be much happier having a slightly larger or smaller dog with a temperament you adore than a perfectly sized one that is too shy for you or has too much drive for you. So I would advise looking for a litter with parents that are similar in size to what you want. A reputable breeder should be breeding for consistency within the breed standard, and should be able to guess the size range of dogs that may be produced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your responses everyone! I feel good about the size category... I was just worried that I could possibly end up with a standard poodle that would be much much larger than expected. Sounds like that is unlikely to happen. Either way, I would still love and care for him/her all the same. And yes, I will focus on temperament as being the most important. Thanks again, I appreciate all your expert advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts