Poodle Forum banner

Can you dye a parti Poodle?

5K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  PeggyTheParti 
#1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has ever dyed their Parti Poodle. I want to shave and dye Sisko's hair. And if I can, what color would look good on him??

Here are some photos.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Fur Outerwear Fur clothing Stuffed toy Sheep

I also want animal safe dyes for Sisko too.

See less See more
#2 ·
He is so cute!

About the dye.
I have never dyed a dog but if I did not have a black dog I would have dyed Evie a long time ago. My dog trainer dyes her spoos which are parti's and phantoms and it turns out cute. So, it is very much doable. As to the dying aspect of things, before you dye him I would shave his feet. Just personally to keep the color from getting muddy when he walks around. As for the color, I think that if you dyed the white part of him multi-colored blue and green it would look cute. I would have said purple but he is male, not female.

Good luck.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf
#4 ·
He is so cute!

About the dye.
I have never dyed a dog but if I did not have a black dog I would have dyed Evie a long time ago. My dog trainer dyes her spoos which are parti's and phantoms and it turns out cute. So, it is very much doable. As to the dying aspect of things, before you dye him I would shave his feet. Just personally to keep the color from getting muddy when he walks around. As for the color, I think that if you dyed the white part of him multi-colored blue and green it would look cute. I would have said purple but he is male, not female.

Good luck.
Thank you!

Whoa! Do you have any pics of them? I'd love to see that.

Okay, thanks! Sisko probably would like the color getting muddy, but I'd be like:? while he's like:???

Okay?! I don't mind using purple on him! I'd dye his hair any color that looks good on him.

#3 ·
I wouldn't dye the whole dog. The contrast between the lemon and the white hair is part of what makes him so handsome. I would try trimming him so that he has star or bone shaped rosettes in the middle of his solid patches. Then dye the rosettes. Spot dyeing will also use less dye, and there will be less mess if he does a full body shake before the dye dries.

#5 ·
Sadly I do not have any pictures of them, and she just clipped them into kennel clips which removed the color.
Purple is just what occurred to me when I first thought about it. To warn you, he will probably be called female if you dye him purple.

#8 ·
Sadly I do not have any pictures of them, and she just clipped them into kennel clips which removed the color.
Purple is just what occurred to me when I first thought about it. To warn you, he will probably be called female if you dye him purple.
Okay, that's okay? I might not have to worry that much though since we don't/can't be around a lot of people right now because of C.V

#11 ·
I use Arctic Fox dye on myself and have seen people use it on their dogs. It’s vegan and doesn’t have a lot of chemicals in typical hair dye so it might be worth looking into. The have photos on their website of how the color looks on different tones of blonde so you might be able to get an idea of how it might look on Sisko’s spots. Comes in awesome colors and smells nice too! ?

#13 ·
Do a search in Amazon for Dog Dye. Maybe select the Opawz Dog Hair Dye.
Then scroll down the page to where it says 'Customer Reviews'.
Across from that is 'Customer Images', click on 'See all customer images'.

I guarantee you will see some of the goofiest and bad dye jobs imaginable, which will entertain you for awhile.

#14 ·
Do a search in Amazon for Dog Dye. Maybe select the Opawz Dog Hair Dye.
Then scroll down the page to where it says 'Customer Reviews'.
Across from that is 'Customer Images', click on 'See all customer images'.

View attachment 465558

I guarantee you will see some of the goofiest and bad dye jobs imaginable, which will entertain you for awhile.
Thanks, Vita! 😂

#15 ·
You could try just his feet, they’re all white and might be an easy start. I think blue would contrast nicely with his color hair.
I tried it several years ago but stopped when we got into agility. Now that AKC is allowing color in the ring, I plan to try it again. I used Manic Panic, but I’ve heard Opaws is good form a groomer.
Here’s Misty (not a poodle) with her pink tail, it was fading at that point.

Attachments

#21 ·
I don't know what your training goals might be, but be aware that you can't enter a performance competition (obedience or rally) with a dyed dog or one that has painted toenails. Other than that, have fun!

#22 ·
I used to dye my poodles when they were doing therapy dog work. Nothing fancy. I had my girl sit in a roasting pan and poured and re-poured red Kool-Aid over her to get a lovely shade of cotton candy pink. It had to wear off with time. I got the color blue with old fashioned laundry bluing....which can be harsh, so I always conditioned, too.Then, for a high school Art final on Painting on Different Textures, the students got to paint shapes on the poodle. The teacher had to set a timer to make sure everyone got a turn, because no one wanted to move to the next texture, ha-ha.

#23 ·
I looked at all the review photos for the opawz hair dye. That made me smile, thanks for sharing, Vita. That red white and blue poodle with a peace sign on her butt is amazing.
Well, I’m now inspired to try my hand at some hair dying in the future, although the colors won’t be the same result on my redhead poo.
Can’t wait to see pics if you end up dying Sisko! I definitely think an aqua blue color would contrast nicely with his tanish blonde colored spots.
Well, I’m off to search dog hair dye on amazon for more fun photo reviews.

#24 · (Edited)
P.s. Putting a blue dye on the his blonde tan spots can make it appear murky green/brown since blue is the opposite on the color wheel from his spots. Especially as it starts to fade. However, I think purple is less likely to have that affect. Just to keep in mind if you end up dying him all over. That would be quite the job though!
Examples from manic panic (I think Sisko’s spots are closer to a medium blonde below). Not that I’d use manic panic on dog fur. It might be ok to use human “semi permanent” dyes like manic panic and arctic fox on a dog, but I personally don’t know if I would without a lot of research.

#25 · (Edited)
Join I<3colorful dogs on Facebook. Tons of examples on there. I used crazy Liberty on Sandy. The color was very bright (done in November) until about a month ago it started looking faded. I touched up on the blue a few days ago to make it less faded. The pink I like better now that it is faded because it was too bright. If I was to do it again I would mix conditioner with the pink dye to make a lighter pink.

#26 ·
Join I<3colorful dogs on Facebook. Tons of examples on there. I used opawz on Sandy. The color was very bright (done in November) until about a month ago it started looking faded. I touched up on the blue a few days ago to make it less faded. The pink I like better now that it is faded because it was too bright. If I was to do it again I would mix conditioner with the pink dye to make a lighter pink. View attachment 465679
Thank you! Whoa, Nice!

#29 ·
I like the lighter colors, but go with what you want. I think the black may take longer to fade. I tried my old jar of Manic Panic a few weeks ago and it didn’t take. But I had it in storage while we were building our new house, so I think the temperature fluctuation got to it. My daughter dropped off a bottle of Arctic Fox she uses in her own hair and your post has inspired me to try that today! Stay tuned. Post pics of Sisko if you try it!

#31 ·
Ok well here she is! I decided to do feet and tip of the tail as those areas can be clipped off easy should I not like it.
It was pretty easy, just brushed it on and put her in the Xpen with a painters drop cloth to protect the floor. Gave her a big stuffed Kong to while away the time.
What do you think?

Attachments

#37 ·
And here you can see how her tail fans out with the pink, I like the way the tail turned out. Not as crazy about the feet.

Attachments

#39 ·
Thanks! Nowhere near as skilled as Mel’s poodles looks,those are some awesome pantaloons!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.