Poodle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in a previous post, we have finally found a breeder we really like and have 99.999% decided to proceed with. I was hoping you knowledgeable dog owners/breeders could read over this contract and let me know if it's standard or if there are any red flags you see. Thanks!

XXX Breeder guarantees that the puppy sold is in good physical health on this day of purchase.

Our Veterinarian has performed a complete physical and has issued an International Health Certificate to attest to the perfect health of your puppy. Puppy was bought as a pet and will not be able to be bred.

Breeder can not guarantee against, bloat, cancer, dewclaw re-growth, missing or misaligned adult teeth, ear infection.

Should puppy have a bellybutton hernia (that MY Vet feels requires repair) and or undecended testicle(s) this will be repaired during a spay/ neuter at Breeder's cost and at Breeder's Vet before puppy goes home.

We offer replacement for known and proven inherited illnesses that we have screened their parent's for, and that would prevent the puppy from being enjoyed as a pet, or if puppy develops crippling hip dysplasia where the puppy can not walk, we will replace the puppy with another puppy of same sex, colour, breed and equal value, at our first opportunity, provided the conditions below are met and kept buy buyer:

1. Within the first 2 (two) years of the puppys life, if he or she is found to have a genetic disease as described above, that young pup will be replaced. If Breeder replaces your pup, the first pup must return to Breeder. This is to insure that that ill puppy has superior quality of life. Some diseases can be formidably expensive and Breeder wishes to assume risk at our Vet. Every breeding is done with great care, thought and research; however, unexpected recessives can be evidenced even though all health testing had been done on sire and dam. Buyer pays all shipping costs involved in returning and receiving replacement puppy. Should puppy die or be euthanized puppy's medical report and microchip Implant will be sent to Breeder.

2. Buyer will send Breeder a photo of the puppy at one year of age, which will be of digital quality that Breeder can use for advertising purposes. The Buyer agrees that if at any time or for any reason they cannot keep the pup/dog, they must notify Breeder who will either offer to take the puppy back or aid in his/her placement.

3. Registration papers were provided at time of purchase either in hand or in the bottom of the cage that puppy was shipped in. It is up to Buyer to transfer the papers into the Buyers names should Buyer wish to do so. "Breeder" prefix is to remain on our brown puppies and "Breeder" prefix is to remain on our red puppies. All our pet puppies are sold with "limited" registration papers. Breeder is not responsible for any further registration process costs, or in obtaining any other organizations registration papers.

4. Contract will be void of puppy has any surgeries before a year of age, after you receive the puppy, if puppy receives Lepto or Corona vaccination, if puppy receives Rabies yearly and not every 3 years as indicated by manufacturer. If Breeder does not receive a photo at 1 year of age.

Buyer agrees to provide routine veterinary care for the puppy including proper vaccinations or protocals, routine worm checks and to keep records of such care should Buyer have to return the puppy for replacement. Buyer understands contract will be void if Buyer fails to provide routine veterinary care, if puppy is sold, bred, sterilized before 1 year of age unless done by our Vet before puppy goes home, transferred or injured by accident or neglect or our prefix is not on the puppy's registered name. The Buyer will assume any further medical and legal costs involved in caring and maintaining the puppy as of the day of purchase. We also highly recommend Buyer take and graduate from a Basic Obedience Class taught by an accredited Trainer or School. This guarantee does not cover any common puppy ailments such as worms, vitamin deficiencies, any viral, bacterial diseases, disorders brought on by parasites, cancer, bloat or any illness that there are no conclusive health testing for. I, the Buyer have read this contract and understand fully the contents thereof and acknowledge receipt of it. We are not relying on verbal statements not contained herein. Should the BUYER choose to break any of the covenants of this Agreement, the remainder of the Agreement will be considered null and void.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The only "silly part" is requiring a photo for advertising purposes LMAO and to the extent that contract would be void unless it is done , ha ha, never saw anything like that in my life !!!!

Now - one contradictory part is spaying/n. agreement . If she does not believe in early sterilization of a dog and thinks that it is better for a dog to develop fully before that is done - that is very valid reasoning , BUT than why would she offer free pediatric sterilization ??? Hmmm... Since she is mentioning a hernia part and that both hernia and "fixing" would be done at the same time maybe she wants to make sure that puppy is NEVER used as a breeding animal, since some hernias have strong genetic association. Than that would be logical move IMO.

Everything else sounds fair .

You may ask about that reasoning for sterilization timing - you have to be able to ask freely anything !!!! You have to have great communication with your breeder - now and forever !

Photo part is just plane silly LOL. Is she "new" to breeding ???

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I know a lot of breeders do it, but I personally find the replacement of your pup up to the age of 2 years to be meaningless. How many people are really going to return their 18 month old dog if it turns out dysplastic? I prefer a refund of the purchase price up to an agreed amount to help with vet bills. But that's just personal preference, and is due to the fact that once I have and have bonded with the puppy there's not many circumstances under which I would be comfortable returning it. So in that case a replacement guarantee is worthless to me.

And I agree wth Wishpoo about the "advertising" thing. That's odd.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I agree w/ Cdnjenga, I would prefer to have the option of a partial refund to care for the dog's care. Some breeders still do that, at their own discretion, even though the contract doesn't mention it. I have an idea of who you are going w/ and I think you should dig really deep before you hand over any money. Make sure the health testing is really being done and they aren't relying on basic preliminary health tests. Also look into other breeders to compare standard practices and price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You guys all know who this breeder is that scoots is talking about She and her 10 litters(58puppies) last year has been the topic of many threads

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I found several things I did not like about the contract;

• A 2 year health guarantee is worthless. A number if hereditary illness do not even start to show signs until around 4 years of age unless its extremely advanced.
  • I do not think it should be required (nor terminate a contract) to send in a picture of my puppy to use in the aid of making the breeder more money. The quality of the stud/dame should be enough to bring is puppy buyers.
  • I find it odd they only want their kennel name on brown or red puppies.
  • Rabies vaccinations are sometimes required by state/town/county LAW to have done yearly so this is a very odd reason to have a contract voided.
In my opinion I would look for a different breeder.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Ditto what some others have said.

I think it is very odd that it is stipulated that the Breeder's name has to be on Brown or Red puppies or the contract is void.

Corona is often bundled into Parvo/Distemper vaccines, so if your vet uses one of these, your guarantee is void.

I don't like any contract that requires that the original puppy be returned if it is sick. This is nothing but a loop hole for the breeder since 99% of owners are not going to want to give up their dogs no matter how sick they are. I think it is better if the breeder refunds the purchase price to help offset medical costs.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I don't think it looks bad at all, and returning a pup for the breeder to assume the health expense seems reasonable if the customer/new owner is willing, some would want the option because of expenses, I just think it's a good option from the breeder.

So many breeders put the health guarantees and many are 2 years that I have seen. And if it is a lifetime - then there are many other factors that I would assume have to go into that part of the contract.

All contracts are subject to change...additions/revisions - but all in all, it dont look bad - ACCEPT the pic thing, I do find that odd.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I don't think it looks bad at all, and returning a pup for the breeder to assume the health expense seems reasonable if the customer/new owner is willing, some would want the option because of expenses, I just think it's a good option from the breeder.

So many breeders put the health guarantees and many are 2 years that I have seen. And if it is a lifetime - then there are many other factors that I would assume have to go into that part of the contract.

All contracts are subject to change...additions/revisions - but all in all, it dont look bad - ACCEPT the pic thing, I do find that odd.
Lets play this game: You payed $1,500 for a puppy who is fine and healthy but at three years of age he starts showing sings of HD and you pay to have x-rays, its so server your only option is surgery but you can't afford it. You contact the breeder but they say sorry I only guarantee up to two years. Your stuck with the option of putting the dog down so your out on Vet bills and you lost your puppy. Even if you wanted to send the pup back you would have to pay more to send it to them (if they would even take it) and you won't get another pup because the dog was over the two year mark. What good was that contract?

You would trust a breeder who will null your contract if you fail to send them a picture to use in their advertising? Or abide by your town law and get a year rabies, or using a blended 4/5/7/8 way shots containing Lepto and/or Corona? You would be okay with that?

If my puppy became sick because of something the breeder did or did not do I would be pissed and want my money back and I would keep my dog.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Purple - you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT !!!!

Unfortunately, I can count on my fingers breeders that give more than 2 years :fish: : (((((. And I never even contacted breeders that are not very well known. However - there are some and one should seek those if one can find them.

Now that I discovered that vacc. protocol is NOT a choice in many states but a must - I also agree than that that stipulation in the contract is also ridiculous.

I also overseen the part with "color" discrimination :wacko:- I thought that she is breeding ONLY reds and browns and thus it is just mentioned "just because" - that is huge RED FLAG.

All in all - it looks that she is trying to have all possible excuses to "null and void" her warranty : (( and it is really bad sign.

I think that it is better to look for a puppy elsewhere, after all !!!!! So many things are "off" when one looks really closely in it : (((

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Lets play this game: You payed $1,500 for a puppy who is fine and healthy but at three years of age he starts showing sings of HD and you pay to have x-rays, its so server your only option is surgery but you can't afford it. You contact the breeder but they say sorry I only guarantee up to two years. Your stuck with the option of putting the dog down so your out on Vet bills and you lost your puppy. Even if you wanted to send the pup back you would have to pay more to send it to them (if they would even take it) and you won't get another pup because the dog was over the two year mark. What good was that contract?

You would trust a breeder who will null your contract if you fail to send them a picture to use in their advertising? Or abide by your town law and get a year rabies, or using a blended 4/5/7/8 way shots containing Lepto and/or Corona? You would be okay with that?

If my puppy became sick because of something the breeder did or did not do I would be pissed and want my money back and I would keep my dog.
I don't really want to play a game:) As there was others that were in relative agreement...........But yes I think it's fair on 2 years would I prefer longer sure - again most I have seen have this in their contract, there is NO guarantee even with testing. The picture thing I agree is off (I thought I put that^, oh well) also on the rabbies, it should be with in state requirements, period and I would point this out any decent business person would again, add this into the contract - and ultimatly, it is MY job as a potential buyer to question the things I would be concerned about and have adjustments/changes amendments if applicable. IF NOT I DONT SIGN UP.

EDIT - I am certainly NOT going to stand TALL on this contract as if I AGREE 100% - I didn't think it looked that bad period it's what many I have seen look like....to me this was about a contract now looking at post I did not read.....there's more here, so I will gracefully pull out.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Oh Ollie....I hope you don't think I meant you. I absolutely did not. I think you are awesome and would never diss you. There is something fishy going on in this thread though. mark my words.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I don't really want to play a game:) As there was others that were in relative agreement...........But yes I think it's fair on 2 years would I prefer longer sure - again most I have seen have this in their contract, there is NO guarantee even with testing. The picture thing I agree is off (I thought I put that^, oh well) also on the rabbies, it should be with in state requirements, period and I would point this out any decent business person would again, add this into the contract - and ultimatly, it is MY job as a potential buyer to question the things I would be concerned about and have adjustments/changes amendments if applicable. IF NOT I DONT SIGN UP.

EDIT - I am certainly NOT going to stand TALL on this contract as if I AGREE 100% - I didn't think it looked that bad period it's what many I have seen look like....to me this was about a contract now looking at post I did not read.....there's more here, so I will gracefully pull out.
We are talking about the contract are we not? :eek:hwell:

I never said you agreed 100% and I did see where you thought the picture thing was iffy, I just wanted to point out why I think this contract as a whole is iffy and full of loop holes.

Nothing against you at all.

BTW: "lets play this game" is an expression as in "what if" or "what would you do".

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I don't think there's more here, but that's just me. Perhaps I'm oblivious. I had no idea what breeder we were talking about when the question was first asked. My response stands regardless of who it is - I think a puppy replacement guarantee is not worth much as I think most breeders know they will never have to actually honour it. However, as Olie pointed out, every buyer buys on the contract that they are comfortable with. The OP is free to go to whichever breeder they choose. They asked for advice on a contract and that is what they have been given. At least I think that's what's going on? Huh. Confused.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
PP brings up a good point about shipping. If you return the first pup for a replacement pup, you're out the original shipping fee, the cost of shipping the first dog back to the breeder and the cost to ship the new puppy to you. I have no idea how much shipping cost, but I've seen quotes of $300 each way, so that's $900 plus the purchase price of the dog. And you have to give up the original pup that you've bonded with. Sorry no dice for me, but CDNjennga is right, it's completely up to the OP.

I'm iffy on the guarantee thing. If a breeder is doing all the health testing, then what more can you ask of them? I would like to think that most (who actually do the testing and show proof) would go above and beyond offering a replacement if anything happens. Contracts are just pieces of paper, not all are legally binding and even if they are, you still have to go to court to enforce them. (Which is pricey and a PITA.)

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.