Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post a picture how to for clipping and shaping bracelets/ pom poms?

I tried to find a groomer willing to do it but its pretty imposddible so ill just have to attempt it myself i guess. Even though i really would prefer not to. But then again i dont want anyone messing up and having to regrow them, so if i mess up ill only have myself to blame lol.

So ive been growing them out for like 3 or 4 months now. I dont think they are quite long enough yet so im just trying to gain information for when i have to attempt this. Makes me so nervous!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link but ive already looked at it and its not so much for the shaping of the poms....its a big help for the bottom of it but what about the general shaping? Any hints or pics?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yeah I am wanting to improve in this area as well. I use a comb and scissor because I am not as comfortable YET with using a comb attachment as some do. Cant wait to see what comes of this thread:)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
well if you have the top & bottom shaped properly, there should be very little shaping needed on the sides....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Post a picture how to for clipping and shaping bracelets/ pom poms?

I tried to find a groomer willing to do it but its pretty imposddible so ill just have to attempt it myself i guess.
Good heavens, really? The state of this industry ia apalling to me. How can u call yourself a professional groomer if you can't even put pompons on a poodle? Groomer in training, more like.

The best advice I can give on poms (aside from FlyingDuster's tutorial, which is wonderful) is to do all four at a time, in stages. Carefully finishing one at a time leads to a lot of wasted time and effort because one (or more) will invariably need adjustments to match the others.

Step back and check frequently to make sure all four pompons are proportionate to the dog and each other.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also forgot to mention- Shirlee Kalstone's book "Poodle Clipping and Grooming: the International Reference" is a fantabulous book for anyone considering grooming their own poodle. I highly recommend it. :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
oh yes, doing all four at once is a very good idea if you're gonna break things up. Do all the bottom bevels first to get them even, then do all the top bevels, and then do the sides...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mmk thanks for the advise guys...Will it really work to comb all the hair up then scissor it all even like i would do at the bottom of the pom? I just dont want to chop too much off and not be able to put it back on lol

And yes Savannah it is quite rediculous that no one was willing to help. Thats why im attempting it myself and hoping i dont mess it all up! But then i will be able to say that i groomed all of Mister lol.

Im going to give him another month or so of growth....they are about 2.5 to 3 inches now i think? How long should they be? I want some room for error too of course lol.

And i will of course post pics of the lame attempt when i finally do it.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup most definitely it'll work to comb all the hair up, hold it and trim it off in the same manner as ya do for feet. If you're worried about cutting off TOO much hair, then hold the hair a bit higher up. Like I mean don't hold the hair (which is your mark for where to cut) right against the clipper line where the pom starts, just hold up a bit higher on the leg so you aren't trimming so much off and you have room to move and bring it down a bit if you still want to... but it'll still give a nice bevel at the same time and set it in much easier than trying to do it simply free-hand!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
yup most definitely it'll work to comb all the hair up, hold it and trim it off in the same manner as ya do for feet. If you're worried about cutting off TOO much hair, then hold the hair a bit higher up. Like I mean don't hold the hair (which is your mark for where to cut) right against the clipper line where the pom starts, just hold up a bit higher on the leg so you aren't trimming so much off and you have room to move and bring it down a bit if you still want to... but it'll still give a nice bevel at the same time and set it in much easier than trying to do it simply free-hand!
How are you holding the scissors to do this? Meaning if you are facing the Poms are the scissors positioned across or are there times you scissors down or up the leg? LOL - Gosh I hope that made sence!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
for trimming the cuffs, both top and bottom, I'm cutting 'across' the leg with the scissors... And to get all the hair off at the same level I'm generally cutting at right angles to (but still across) the leg rather than parallel to it.... does that make sense?? I might to a diagram later to explain better... lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
for trimming the cuffs, both top and bottom, I'm cutting 'across' the leg with the scissors... And to get all the hair off at the same level I'm generally cutting at right angles to (but still across) the leg rather than parallel to it.... does that make sense?? I might to a diagram later to explain better... lol
That makes sense FD, im actually pretty excited to attempt it. His legs are a mess and need to be trimmed.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
How are you holding the scissors to do this? Meaning if you are facing the Poms are the scissors positioned across or are there times you scissors down or up the leg? LOL - Gosh I hope that made sence!
Did you see her pictures of doing the bottom bevels? It's the same thing. You'd hold it at a point and then cut the hair off in the same manner. I go around the leg and the scissors are not up and down but horizontal. Then if you fluff bracelets and want to trim them to shape, you would turn them vertical because you are supposed to keep your wrist and the scissors straight and cut with the growth of the hair. Like on the shoulders you would cut either straight down or straight up in a vertical line.

I have to say that because I'm a beginner, I get tired with the spoos and sometimes will just go random and not hold my wrist right and then I suffer for it later with numbness in my hand from carpel tunnel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts