Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this info about a puppy :

Puppies have had 3 shots the first shot was a 5 way and the next 2 were 7 way.

Does anybody know which vaccines were involved in those series ? Puppy is 12 weeks.

Thanks a lot in advance :) !!!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
5 way = distemper, parvo, parainfluenza, hepatitis, and adenovirus

7 way = distemper, parvo, parainfluenza, hepatitis, adenovirus, leptospiorosis, corona

I would question why they are giving a 7 way shot to a PUPPY! That's very OLD school and usually done by people who don't know any better. The lepto vaccine is one of the biggest culprits for causing vax reactions because it's a LIVE virus vaccine. A dog really doesn't need it unless they are drinking out of ponds, streams, puddles, etc where wildlife are.

The most current protocol for puppies is parvo/distemper ONLY except for rabies at 16 weeks.

All these vaccines are one of the reason we see so many of the immune system issues these day. Seizures, renal failure, liver disorders, chronic infections, the list could go on and on!!!!

sorry, didn't mean to start my own rant :(

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
5 way = distemper, parvo, parainfluenza, hepatitis, and adenovirus

7 way = distemper, parvo, parainfluenza, hepatitis, adenovirus, leptospiorosis, corona

I would question why they are giving a 7 way shot to a PUPPY! That's very OLD school and usually done by people who don't know any better. The lepto vaccine is one of the biggest culprits for causing vax reactions because it's a LIVE virus vaccine. A dog really doesn't need it unless they are drinking out of ponds, streams, puddles, etc where wildlife are.

The most current protocol for puppies is parvo/distemper ONLY except for rabies at 16 weeks.

All these vaccines are one of the reason we see so many of the immune system issues these day. Seizures, renal failure, liver disorders, chronic infections, the list could go on and on!!!!

sorry, didn't mean to start my own rant :(
Agreed, it's the opposite of a limited vaccine protocol. I would be hesitant to get a puppy from a breeder who vaccinates their puppies in this way.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
At 12 weeks this person has given 3 sets of those shots?? Wow that's pretty young to get 3 sets of shots. I believe the recommendation now is to wait until the dog is 14-16 weeks. I could be wrong but I'm much more conservative with shots than some people.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
At 12 weeks this person has given 3 sets of those shots?? Wow that's pretty young to get 3 sets of shots. I believe the recommendation now is to wait until the dog is 14-16 weeks. I could be wrong but I'm much more conservative with shots than some people.
Seven, eleven and fifteen is what we do. That IS an awful lot too early.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh boy - I was worried about hearing this - it sounded awful lot to me : ((( but wanted to check anyway *sigh

Is he now "damaged" forever : ((((, this is just awful : (((. I feel so bad for that little angel - I knew he was not coming form "fantastic" breeder in any way , shape or form ( to the contrary) - but I just loved his face so much *sigh...

Thought maybe giving a home to a puppy who would otherwise end up as BYB breeding dog for sure ...in some outdoor kennel for life : ((((. They probably gave him such heavy-duty vaccines thinking he would live "outdoors with a wildlife ":doh:

I fell like crying for him now ... this is just sooo sad .... :sidefrown:

Thanks everybody for the input, it is very much appreciated !!! Although I heard very sad reality ...

Thanks ....

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
This thread brings up bad memories for me. When I bought my 1st standard, she was vaccinated twice but her contract and breeder said I had to get her vet checked right away (something about they wouldn't guarantee the health otherwise) so I took her and her record book... but the vet vaccinated her again. I bought her at 10 weeks so by 12 weeks she had 3 sets. I had so much trouble with her ears that first year. Then in no time at all, you get a notice from the vet that she needed her "booster" shots. I followed (like a blind idiot) my vets advice. Now I know better. She was done at 4 years of age, then again at 8 years of age and I probably won't do her again....she'll just get titre tested. I did everything I was told like a good little patient. NO MORE. 9 1/2 years ago, when I bought her, I didn't have internet or lots of breeder friends. I relied on vets and I felt ALL grocery store food was adequate, even excellent. I treat my puppies much differently these days.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would not think this puppy would be "damaged" by these vaccines in the long run. I would have to know and see other things about this breeder before i was turned off by this. Is it alot? Perhaps, depending on where they live. I would not weap for the puppy at this point. Id have to see their breeding program before i struck this breeder off my list though.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh Bigpoodle - there is no real breeding program *sigh They are just starting and they are in UT . They have parti-lines (coming from "classic" parti-lines kennels - you know the names LOL). There is NOTHING done right in this breeding - it is just me falling in love with this puppy - call me idiot - I deserve it !!!!:doh::smow::doh:

I have to give the credit to a breeder though that she did not sugarcoat anything - and that she is keeping pups in the home, beautify brushed and groomed and feeds quality food. She just does not know better *sigh....

Puppy is extraordinary beautiful and correct for a parti - just something special ...in my eyes at least ...

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can detox the puppy to help. My 'opinion' is a person that over vaccinates their puppies like that, most likely has other practices/ rearing I wouldn't find appealing.
Healthy immune systems are passed down the line as well.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DesertReef - How would I "detoxify" him ?! If he is not over- vaccinated from this point on - would it help at all ? :rolffleyes: Would raw diet help ? Supplements ?:weep: : ((((

·
Registered
80 Posts
DesertReef - How would I "detoxify" him ?! If he is not over- vaccinated from this point on - would it help at all ? :rolffleyes: Would raw diet help ? Supplements ?:weep: : ((((
wishpoo,I understand your heart being with a puppy,but do you have to get this puppy or go through with this? I would worry on the breeders practice of how they are vaccinating and the long term effects.We do not give ANY vacs before 9 WEEKS.Yes,and breeders do puppies so young so they can get rid of them faster!Many of them START a 6 weeks,some even earlier,it's terrible.It's very hard on those little delicate systems.Honestly,maybe you need to PASS.
If you MUST go through with this,whatever you do,DONT DO RABIES ANY TIME SOON! Heart goes out to you....if you PM me I will send you a vaccination tragedy just recently posted on one of my other "dog related" groups. A very nice man who just lost his 4 1/2 month old puppy to a vet OVER vaccinating her.Please,this is serious business....

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Moxie so much - I really REALLY appreciate everybody's input and advices - I know I deserve a reality check :fish:- that is why I posted :smow:

Of course I do not have to get him - it is just that in some perverse way now I feel like I need to save him - if you know what I mean : ((( I am such a terrible person when heart starts mixing with brain : (((. Yes - please send me a PM !!! Just click on my user-name (Wishpoo) and PM option will appear. But I will send you a PM also - so you do not need to worry about that...

He is soooo pretty ... and soooo sweet : (((( This is a terrible world we live in :smow:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Oh wishpoo, darling, I know you have your heart with him. I don't think saving him would be so bad. I'd ask your vet or call around to vets that are more holistic and ask them what you should do if you take him. How long since his last vaccines? If he's still a happy healthy puppy and it's been a while maybe he won't be negatively affected. It used to be that puppies were given all those vaccines before 12 weeks of age and that was the norm. I always delay shots even with my human kids. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Translation? With this much stress to an early immune system, this Poodle could be a ticking Addisons time bomb.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts