Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering :rolffleyes:

Can roses pose any danger for a puppy ? I have over 40 rose bushes in my garden and they are ,needless to say, my favorite plants BUT now that I think about buying a puppy I look at them with different eyes :eek:hwell:.

Would puppy instinctively know not to "push" through them or play near since they are so poky :rolffleyes:- or I should teach him that they are "bad guys" ??? There is no way I can "fence them off" since I have soooo many : ((( and all over the property :wacko:

Thanks !!!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have several rosebushes and my dogs have gotten cought up in them more than once. My sharpi learned to stay outof them after she cut her face up. The spoo boys still push through them but they have so much hair they don't feel much. I really worry about their eyes so have tried to teach them to stear clear of the roses but where they are I can't fence them off either. The winter rose branches are decorated with yanked out poodle hair. Thank goodness they aren't show dogs because the roses would ruin a show coat.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my goodness :wacko: !!!! I will be going crazy worrying now : (((.

Yes - eyes were my main concern : (((( , Oh boy _ WHAT AM I TO DOOOOO ???? !!!! :excruciating:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ooooohhh maaaaan :smow: It is impossible - they are EVERYWHERE :wacko: - front yard, side yard, back yard - it was like "wherever Wishpoo found 2 feet of available soil - she planted a ROSE !!!!!

Maybe "invisible fencing " ????:rolffleyes: Sheeeeshhh ... :doh:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I tried those little garden fences but they are so wimpy and just the right hight for a spoo pup to step over they didn't to much good. Maybe if you got better quality garden fences? If the roses are not in one bunch I bet an invisible fence wouldn't work either but I don't really know much about those.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Depending on the configuration of your yard, you could fence off an area (with invisible fencing if you choose to go that route) for the puppy - instead of trying to keep the roses behind fences, could you keep the puppy behind a fence?? Just a thought - just remember wishpoo - where there's a will, there's a way!!!!

If it were me, I wouldn't even worry too much about it - I'd just start early with a puppy and use training - explain to the puppy that the roses are off limits; they are OWNED by wishpoo and wishpoo does not want puppy to explore the roses!! Good luck!! :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a thought - just remember wishpoo - where there's a will, there's a way!!!!
Yes ..... SugarPlum :smile: - I will keep that in mind : ))) !!!! I might train a little skunk to sit among the roses and spray a "stink bomb" in the air LOL

I have quiet a few roaming my garden :viking:

I wish I can make a drawing of my property LOL I have a front fence (picket , of course lmao), and behind allllll roses so they can hang over the whole fence ! Than side-yard roses planted in zig-zag pattern with asters in between little space that is left among them. Than nice lawn than AGAIN raw of roses following that edge of the lawn close to my front windows - so it is LANDMINE of roses front :doh:.

Back - mini roses all around perimeter of the home and some tea-roses - actually - maybe I can pull out those big ones :rolffleyes: - he will have more fun in the backyard anyway ! And for the front I should take him on the leash only until he learns "leave it" command !!!! Yeap - that is what I will do : ))))) !!!!

Thanks for the ideas and helping me do a "brainstorm" : ))))) !!!!

You guys rock !!!!! HUGS !!!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Depending on the configuration of your yard, you could fence off an area (with invisible fencing if you choose to go that route) for the puppy - instead of trying to keep the roses behind fences, could you keep the puppy behind a fence?? Just a thought - just remember wishpoo - where there's a will, there's a way!!!!

If it were me, I wouldn't even worry too much about it - I'd just start early with a puppy and use training - explain to the puppy that the roses are off limits; they are OWNED by wishpoo and wishpoo does not want puppy to explore the roses!! Good luck!! :)
Yes this is the best way to go about this. We have oak trees in our front yard and since the back yard has turned into a pond with all of the rain, we use the front for pottying. Oak trees are dangerous to dogs and I've had to keep a close eye on little Mia because she has eaten acorns.:fish: So what I did the other day was wait until she was going to pick up an acorn and clap my hands really loud by her and she went from it. Yes it startles them but I'd rather her be afraid of sniffing acorns than eating them and dying later. Now all I have to do is give a little clap and she'll stay away but she's very obedient.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!

Now this is too funny ....and tragic at the same time - I HAVE A HUNDRED YER OLD OAK IN MY BACKYARD !!!!!!! It is HUMONGOUS !!!!! It is protected by a city :doh::fish: so no way I can "kill the beast" :smow:

OK - I just can see my poor puppy now going out with some kind of muzzle and "doggy goggles" !!!!! LMAO

Maybe I should put this home for sale - too expensive to have it in this economy anyway LMAO

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi, Not sure if it is available in the States but you can get an electrified tape here which runs anywhere you put it even on two small stakes, maybe if it is not too big of a zap you could do that for a short while so the puppy associates the roses with soemthing unpeasant. I am not sure how zappy they are though and would not want to turn the poodle into a nervous wreck, otherwise maybe the get off my garden pellets, offensive odours to the dogs and they may stay away from the roses. Or, you could train the roses into standards so they are not so bushy down low!

·
Registered
289 Posts
We trained Fly to stay out of our flower beds that surround the front and back porches. She won't set foot in them, but when she's on the porch she does a giant leap clear over them. I laugh every time she does this. I love those poodle leaps.

I think if you start out right away training her to stay away from the roses, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh thank you so much for all of the suggestions : )))) !!!!

I am becoming more hopeful that it might not be the MAJOR problem after all :)

I will just need to start working on it from the day one !

:stupido2:

Spoofly - any suggestions how to teach her not to go into the flowerbed ?? : ))
How did you do it : ))) ???? Did you use leash when you started taking her out in the garden ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
No I didn't use a leash. I use cesar's method of "no" by saying "CHH!". I would say "Ch" everytime she was in the garden and distract her with something more appropriate to do or play with, like her bone, toy or tennis ball. After a couple of corrections she got the idea and knows not to set food in there. It works for all things as well, if she's getting to rough with the cat, a gentle "ch" lets her know to find something else to do. I guess in a sense it's similar to "leave it". It works though!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts