Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this forum and love that we are all crazy about poodles. We are getting our new standard poodle in 3 weeks (it will be 8.5 weeks old) and got a 42 inch adult sized crate that and will be placed in our kitchen/family area where all the center of the action is (the crate is adjustable so we can start it smaller). Our bedroom however is very small and we will need a smaller crate. We are assuming our poodle will need to sleep in the upstairs crate until 5-6 months but maybe less?? Is it okay to go with a smaller crate for sleeping? Our philosophy is to keep the doors open so it is something our dog can "come home to" but we recognize that it may be a good idea to keep the door closed for the first 2-3 weeks. Also, would love a light crate that we can pick up and move around. The 42 inch is heavy and will stay in the main family room/kitchen area. Thank you for any advise for our new spoo.

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
Peggy was fine in a 36" crate (with an adjustable divider) until about 6 months, but she's on the small end for a spoo. After that, she needed 48" to be comfortable overnight.

Is your plan for him or her to eventually sleep in the living room crate? Or to sleep in your bedroom without a crate?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. Eventually, overtime we would have her in a dog bed out of the crate but this may not happen until she is older.

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
You might consider then just having the one crate and sleeping out there with puppy for the first few nights. This isn't for everyone, and my last dog always slept in the bedroom. But it's worked out well so far with Peggy.

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
Galen, who is on the smaller side, outgrew his 36 inch crate at 5 months. When he lay flat on his side he touched all four sides of the crate. He fit if he curled his long poodle legs under him, but I would hear him thrashing to get comfortable during the night.

You will probably want to keep your pup in a crate overnight until at least 4 months and probably a lot longer. My boy Pogo, who was a bit of a prodigy, was potty trained by 4 months. However, he would chew on things. His brother Snarky was an even worse chewer and didn't get potty trained until 6 months. Both of them favored fabric and wood when they were feeling destructive. My six month old boy Galen seems to prefer plastics; this week he decided to chew through a heavy duty extension cord (thankfully unplugged at the time.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts