Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an attempt to get braver at doing a full groom myself I helped a friend groom Winnie today so I could see how it was done up close. I must admit I was very drained by the end of it and it took almost 3 hours because she was very wriggly around the feet. I don't think I would have enough energy to do the whole thing on my own for 2 or 3 hours. It was also very stressful for Winnie. Would it be ok to groom over a few days. I was thinking maybe bath one day and clip after a day or two. Would not clipping on the same day make it more difficult to clip? I would shave the face on a different day but I already do that seperately now. I just feel that bathing and clipping is too much for me and Winnie all in one go. Also is it possible to clip the hair without bathing first and then bath once the hair is clipped (maybe the next day or two) and go over any bits that need it?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I always bathe the day before I clip. I don't have a dryer and want to be sure Zephyr is totally dry before I clip him. So I bathe him the day before, and once he is pretty dry I brush/comb thoroughly, dremel nails, clean and pluck ears, and check teeth. Sometimes I do scissors work on topknot and legs. The next day I clip and finish scissors work.

There is no reason why you could not spread out the clipping as much as you want. Do one foot each day if you want. She may look funny, but she won't care.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always bathe the day before I clip. I don't have a dryer and want to be sure Zephyr is totally dry before I clip him. So I bathe him the day before, and once he is pretty dry I brush/comb thoroughly, dremel nails, clean and pluck ears, and check teeth. Sometimes I do scissors work on topknot and legs. The next day I clip and finish scissors work.

There is no reason why you could not spread out the clipping as much as you want. Do one foot each day if you want. She may look funny, but she won't care.
Thanks, I think I would try to keep her balanced out 😆. My main concern was not clipping on the same day as bathing in case it made it more difficult. I don't have a dryer either and to spend ages with a small hairdryer just wouldn't work for me so it would be good to leave her dry for a day.

·
Premium Member
15,155 Posts
I brush one day, bathe the next, then take a break before clipping. Then I clip/scissor as much as I can in the 20 minutes or so Poppy can manage standing, and do the rest the next day, or the day after that. I dry her on my lap so she doesn't have to stand for that, and I do her feet with her lying on my lap too, as well as scissoring as much hair as possible out of her ears with little ball ended scissors. The only downside is that it means leaving the table etc set up in the bathroom for a day or two until I've finished, as I am to idle to face putting it all away and then getting it all out again!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Absolutely!!!😊 Due to my schedule I cannot commit to a full groom in one day. I definitely space things out. Today I did Bobby’s topknot ears and face. Yesterday I clipped his body. I tend to do things separately, adding something such as nails one day, trimming tail another day, when I do basic brushing and combing. I rotate something every combing /brushing session so he doesn’t look silly.

Brushing and combing, bathing, drying and clipping in that order is definitely the best but a lot also depends upon the look you want, how dirty the dog is, how long the hair is, coat condition and other variables. Drying also does make the clipping easier and it just makes for a smoother and easier cut. During the warm months I let Bobby air dry after squeezing and patting as much water out of his coat as possible. I also add a leave in conditioner and use a brush for wet hair so there are no tangles. Because I keep him short it’s super easy to clip and brush and comb through his hair once it’s dry. As far as clipping unwashed hair I think it depends. For sure, it’s not the best practice and it is harder on the blades but again, I think it depends upon the coat, style, etc. I admit I do sometimes clip Bobby before a bath and it works just fine because we keep his coat short and curly. He is a pretty clean dog as he doesn’t tend to roll in dirt and stuff like that. This week’s groom was done on unwashed hair and it went well. I will bathe him this weekend. Not ideal but it works for us. 😊
There is the ideal but really, I think you just do what works best for you! It takes a lot of stress off, at least for me.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
I do my grooming in many steps : bathing, face, feet and tail and then body. Oh, and nails are another day. All of it at once is way too much for me. Even more so with two dogs. So it feels like I’m never done but it is what it is.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Oh heavens yes, you need to. There's simply too much to do. You break it up into chunks and pieces.

For example, dremmeling nails. Break it up into two 20 minute sessions on different days.

Paws. Do front 2 one day, back two the next day. Then do a touch up day to get the stragglers.

Yes, you can use the trimmer on your dog BEFORE a bath. The grooming police aren't going to come arrest you.

If you want a really polished poodle diy hair cut at home, that's how you do it. You go over your work and get the spots you missed the next day and touch up your poodle, then do it one more time for a total of 3 times.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Me too, I do it over several days and in between body grooms, I do face and feet. It’s easier on the dog too. It still takes long though to do the bath, then HV dry and fluff, then body groom and top knot shaping. Also, It depends on how long you let the fur grow because the bath and dry will take much longer if the fur is long. I do both shampoo then apply conditioner on top knot, ears and tail (poofy parts) so it’s important to rinse really well.

·
Premium Member
7,179 Posts
I can almost never do a full groom all on the same day. Part of the reason is the boys are still non-cooperative-mentis when it comes to face and feet. Pick your battles :).

I brush my boys near daily but always make sure they're tangle free prior to the bath. Water will tighten up tangles with drying so if there are any it's easier for all to have them out before the bath.

I bathe them about every 2 weeks. They could stand it sooner but unless it's rolled-in-ewww necessary, the baths wait their time. This means something is almost always clipped every two weeks also.

Bath day is shampooing, a bit of spray on conditioner (heresy - I use Pantene Leave-in), gentle towel drying, then to the grooming table for blow drying.

I don't have an HV dryer so use a human with a concentrator nozzle to try to straighten the coat more. This straightening by drying gives a more even clip than the dry rough cut and a smoother look on the body and legs. It might be a bit easier to clip a clean coat but it is better for the clippers.

If I have the time and energy, I'll try to do the bath, dry, sani, body, and legs on the same day. This actually doesn't take as much time as it sounds since the boys are pretty cooperative for these bits. I'm now in for about 1.5-2 hours per boy doing this.

Pausing for a minute to say that I do as much of the clipping outside as I can which means I work within weather constraints.

I sometimes do a "rough" clip of the body the day before because I'm working with (or against) the weather. Sometimes the rough cut and sani must be done before and that will be that for clipping til the next bath after.

Things that are more flexible are nails, feet and topknot. I fit those in whenever I can but still with some regularity. I'd rather do it all fresh clean but if that doesn't work out, oh well, I'll do what I can and catch it the time slot.

For us it's:
bath-easy
dry-easy
body-easy
tail-easy
sani-easyish
ears-easyish
topknot-easyish
face-hardish
feet-hard
nails-hard (so grateful for the Casfuy!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts