Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Peggy's groomer still out of commission, and covid back on the rise, I'm seriously considering shaving her down. But first I would love to see photos of an intentionally short-all-over poodle coat.

My google search just turns up images of rather sad looking, choppy-coated poodles.

We currently use a 5 on Peggy's legs and body. So maybe use that same blade on her ears and have our back-up groomer scissor her topknot down almost as short? I think I'd like to keep working towards her tail pompon, though....

I'm reluctant to use our back-up groomer more than absolutely necessary. I've just not been very happy with the results of that groom. And—maddeningly—my body is not cooperating with my desire to keep Peggy's ears and topknot in good condition (or to really do much of anything at the moment), so it's time to be realistic.

I want her to be comfortable, but I also still want her to look like an elegant poodle as we enter the holiday season.

Current photo:

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You’ve seen several pictures of Bobby but here is one that shows his whole self right after being groomed. It’s a little fuzzy but hope it helps. View attachment 470511
I feel like I'm looking into Peggy's future when I see photos of Bobby! Love that face and those adorable ears.

Have you ever shaved his topknot right down?

I wonder if it always has to be scissored to prevent the "flat head" look I see when I google shaved poodles.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Here is Annie from this spring.

If I were to do it again, I would leave a bit more on the top of her head - probably use a 1" comb. Her head didn't look flat, but her nose sure looked long!

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is Annie from this spring.

If I were to do it again, I would leave a bit more on the top of her head - probably use a 1" comb. Her head didn't look flat, but her nose sure looked long!
I forgot about those adorable pics! Thank you! I'm feeling better about this decision now.

We've got an appointment booked in three weeks, but I'm going to attempt her ears myself today.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I will mention that if you have joint or any other health issues, I imagine it would be a bit hard to upkeep the ear look on a weekly basis, since you have to scissor around the leather to get it looking clean. Fluffy has those ears right now, and I have to shave and trim them back down every week or so to keep it looking good, whereas with the full ears I could put off the clip for weeks. But it is less time consuming overall than brushing them out every few days or so. He's a bit scruffy at the moment, but here's a couple of recent pictures:

I personally really like the shaved look overall, as it really emphasizes just how much of a retriever they really are under all that hair, so if you think it would help you, go for it! I bet she'll look really cute!

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will mention that if you have joint or any other health issues, I imagine it would be a bit hard to upkeep the ear look on a weekly basis, since you have to scissor around the leather to get it looking clean. Fluffy has those ears right now, and I have to shave and trim them back down every week or so to keep it looking good, whereas with the full ears I could put off the clip for weeks. But it is less time consuming overall than brushing them out every few days or so. He's a bit scruffy at the moment, but here's a couple of recent pictures: View attachment 470512

View attachment 470514
I personally really like the shaved look overall, as it really emphasizes just how much of a retriever they really are under all that hair, so if you think it would help you, go for it! I bet she'll look really cute!
I just gasped with joy when I saw that first photo! Aw! Fluffy's ears look painfully cute. I'm still smiling. :)

And you're right—Peggy's long ears have been fairly low maintenance. I think there's a sweet spot, as they only recently reached a length that's much harder to manage. But it took a while to get there.

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh ... And as a reminder a shave down isn't permanent, here is her today. I haven't done anything to her head since March, but have cut her back multiple times. She desperately needs a bath and clip and a brushing again!
View attachment 470515
View attachment 470516
She looks lovely in her yellow elastic!

And thank you for the reminder. I butchered Peggy's coat at the start of covid, and it did bounce back very quickly (with a little help from our groomer).

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was Misha all short. It was a very handsome look though maybe it didn't fit his goofy personality as well. Lately I've opted for a shavedown but left his head and tail and mane. It is a cute look too!
View attachment 470520
View attachment 470521
He is always sooo handsome. And you do all his grooming yourself?? Amazing.

How'd you do his topknot in that first photo? Scissors or clippers?

Peggy's ears are looking cute short (still have some clean-up to do), but I think I'll leave her topknot to a pro.

I think she feels lighter. She's been prancing around like a show poodle.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i do like the look of the shaved ears with the poms! I think if I had a poodle, I'd keep topknot, and shave the ears (if I had to) at all. I've gotta save SOME of the poof at least!

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
She looks great! In that first photo of Misha the topknot was probably trimmed with clippers then maybe scissored over the eyes. Yes I do all the grooming lol because I am poor. Thank you for compliments. I think her topknot looks good. You can always trim just above eyes if it seems like it's getting too long. I like the look of shaved ears. The ears are so expressive when short.

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She looks great! In that first photo of Misha the topknot was probably trimmed with clippers then maybe scissored over the eyes. Yes I do all the grooming lol because I am poor. Thank you for compliments. I think her topknot looks good. You can always trim just above eyes if it seems like it's getting too long. I like the look of shaved ears. The ears are so expressive when short.
Good point about the expressiveness of ears. I feel the same way about keeping the eyes for communication clear, too. With Peggy's current topknot, I can't tell if she's looking up at me from a sit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts