Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am going to be one big pain in the neck, just warning you all. we are very excited to bring our little murphy in two weeks, but I am so big on being prepared.

so here is my next question (which of course wont be my last..lol)

we are brining murphy home in the car, its about a 2 hour drive. Im sure he will be scared. I am going to bring a towel and get the scent of his mom on it, so he at least can smell her.

once he is home, in his new surrondings, im sure he will be nervous. So I dont want to go all crazy with the 'training' until he settles in (or maybe I should) hey, thats another question, should i?

but here is the main question. I do think Murphy needs a little trimming. Can I just cut his hair around his eyes before bringing him to the groomer? I think too much might make him really nervous.

we still have to bring him to the vet to get his shots.

oh, thats another question. the vet. I dont want him to associate the car with going to the vet. How can I avoid that?

I was thinking of taking him for a ride a few times to fun places like the park.

any ideas.

oh oh oh, before I go. swimming. I heard poodles like to swim. is this true?

if so, at what age should I bring him to the pond? I would love him to enjoy swimming.

ok, thats it for now, ill have a bunch of questions later im sure.:elefant:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm absolutely sure it differs from dog to dog... but Snoops endured his car ride home to Grandma's just fine (it was 2+ hours)... then he endured his flight home just fine as well. I had anticipated also that he would be real nervous, sad, anxious, etc.. but was really surprised when he was just really easy going and relaxed. The breeder had groomed him before I picked him up, and also gave me a "stinky" - his toy that he had grown up with. I kept pushing the toy on Snoops and really.. he couldn't care less for it. The name "stinky" was very appropriate, and I was glad Snoops didn't seem too bothered about it. I threw it out the next day. Of course, I made sure to have plenty of replacement toys ;)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
First of all...relax! Dogs can pick up on our emotions so if you're nervous around your puppy it is very likely your puppy will be nervous as well! I'm sure you have thousands of questions and want to do everything just right, but just have confidence in yourself and also ask any questions you need to, afterall that's what forums are for!

As far as grooming yourself, although I do think it's a great bonding experience between owner and dog to learn to groom yourself definitely get videos, have someone show you how to properly clip your dog. Scissors are very sharp and can do some damage if you accidently hurt your puppy and blades can also cut the skin as well as burn the dog if they get too hot, i'm not trying to discourage you I just want you to be prepared to read some books, watch any videos you can find, ask others who groom their own dogs how to do it, how to hold the blades, buy good equipment as cheap clippers won't do you much good.

Some groomers will offer advice, i try not to offer TOO much advice to random people on the street unless they seem to know what they're doing.. for instance I wouldn't do clean face/feet until you are used to holding clippers and doing it properly.

As far as training..i've always believed it's best to teach your puppy your rules the second he is home. You can't one day let the puppy eat off your plate because you are trying to make him get comfortable in your home and then in a week yell at him for doing the exact same thing, it's just not fair!

Whatever behavior you DO NOT want this puppy doing in a year, do not let them get away with it now! It's not harsh or mean to have boundries and rules for your puppy, it's a good way to bond with your new puppy and it's a great way for them to know that you have control of all the situations in your pups life. This is a good thing!

I would start early with teaching "wait" "leave it" and "sit" as well as a solid recall, these can be very useful and in some cases lifesaving. If your pup slips his collar and starts running for the street if you have a solid recall your puppy should come RIGHT back to you without hesitation.

You can teach all of these things using positive reinforcement which your puppy will love, it's fun for both you and rewarding for your puppy. Remember to always reward behaviors you want repeated, even if you don't have treats a "good boy" and a pat on the head will go a long way!

For instance if you're at the vet and the puppy is lunging towards another dog, don't mistake this for being cute, ask the puppy to sit for attention or wait and then reward him for doing so! Never miss an opportunity to reward good behavior.

I wish you luck with your puppy, i hope I answered some of your questions.

Oh and I encourage you not to take this puppy anywhere until he has had three rounds of puppy shots, this includes pet stores, groomers, etc... parks, anywhere other dogs have been. In fact when you take him to the vet keep him in a carrier or in your arms and away from other dogs in the waiting room. It is very easy for a puppy without vaccinations to become very sick and it can even be life threaning if the pup were to pick up something like Parvo.

Making care rides fun is easy, take him everywhere once he is properly vaccinated, take him with you when you go to the bank if you have a drive through, take him to the pet store and make sure he gets treats, take him with you for walks in the park and to see and be around many different things. Introduce him to babies and children if you dont have any so that he gets used to them and doesn't flip out later on, expose him to anything you can think of, elderly people, walkers, wheelchairs, noises the pup might encounter, friendly and healthy dogs and cats, etc... make sure he is part if your life and he will learn to love car rides!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
First of all...relax! Dogs can pick up on our emotions so if you're nervous around your puppy it is very likely your puppy will be nervous as well! I'm sure you have thousands of questions and want to do everything just right, but just have confidence in yourself and also ask any questions you need to, afterall that's what forums are for!

As far as grooming yourself, although I do think it's a great bonding experience between owner and dog to learn to groom yourself definitely get videos, have someone show you how to properly clip your dog. Scissors are very sharp and can do some damage if you accidently hurt your puppy and blades can also cut the skin as well as burn the dog if they get too hot, i'm not trying to discourage you I just want you to be prepared to read some books, watch any videos you can find, ask others who groom their own dogs how to do it, how to hold the blades, buy good equipment as cheap clippers won't do you much good.

Some groomers will offer advice, i try not to offer TOO much advice to random people on the street unless they seem to know what they're doing.. for instance I wouldn't do clean face/feet until you are used to holding clippers and doing it properly.

As far as training..i've always believed it's best to teach your puppy your rules the second he is home. You can't one day let the puppy eat off your plate because you are trying to make him get comfortable in your home and then in a week yell at him for doing the exact same thing, it's just not fair!

Whatever behavior you DO NOT want this puppy doing in a year, do not let them get away with it now! It's not harsh or mean to have boundries and rules for your puppy, it's a good way to bond with your new puppy and it's a great way for them to know that you have control of all the situations in your pups life. This is a good thing!

I would start early with teaching "wait" "leave it" and "sit" as well as a solid recall, these can be very useful and in some cases lifesaving. If your pup slips his collar and starts running for the street if you have a solid recall your puppy should come RIGHT back to you without hesitation.

You can teach all of these things using positive reinforcement which your puppy will love, it's fun for both you and rewarding for your puppy. Remember to always reward behaviors you want repeated, even if you don't have treats a "good boy" and a pat on the head will go a long way!

For instance if you're at the vet and the puppy is lunging towards another dog, don't mistake this for being cute, ask the puppy to sit for attention or wait and then reward him for doing so! Never miss an opportunity to reward good behavior.

I wish you luck with your puppy, i hope I answered some of your questions.

Oh and I encourage you not to take this puppy anywhere until he has had three rounds of puppy shots, this includes pet stores, groomers, etc... parks, anywhere other dogs have been. In fact when you take him to the vet keep him in a carrier or in your arms and away from other dogs in the waiting room. It is very easy for a puppy without vaccinations to become very sick and it can even be life threaning if the pup were to pick up something like Parvo.

Making care rides fun is easy, take him everywhere once he is properly vaccinated, take him with you when you go to the bank if you have a drive through, take him to the pet store and make sure he gets treats, take him with you for walks in the park and to see and be around many different things. Introduce him to babies and children if you dont have any so that he gets used to them and doesn't flip out later on, expose him to anything you can think of, elderly people, walkers, wheelchairs, noises the pup might encounter, friendly and healthy dogs and cats, etc... make sure he is part if your life and he will learn to love car rides!
I would have to ditto most everything Aidan said. Great info!

On the grooming part, I understand that puppies can get stray hairs in the eye that need a little clip and etc. If you need to clip some hair around the eye just do it when the pup is well rested/sleepy (after a good play for instance) etc. and try to clip away from the eye. Im usually one to keep my dogs in until all the shots are complete but for Poodles puppies you may have to make that decision to take them out to a groomer slightly earlier then normal. Of course finding the right causious groomer is also key.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Puppy suggestions

Sloane, you have some great questions and it is fun to hear your enthusiasm. It's been 16 years since I have had a puppy. I get to pick mine up in 3.5 weeks! She is a toy. Here's a couple of things I have researched to refresh myself, and of course, there are things I wish I would have done differently from before.

Be sure to puppy proof you home as much as you can. Pay particular attention to electrical cords. Puppies will chew on them if given the chance. Get some baby gates to control where puppy goes. You can get a crate for when you can't completely supervise. Another notorious things for puppies is to put anything in their mouth. No telling what they will swallow. Check the fence for gaps.

Your ride home should be pretty easy. Some dogs will get a little car sick at first, so it's helpful if you are prepared to clean up a little mess. I have a harness for Zulee and have a seat belt attachment for her. I also have a lookout car seat. Since Murphy will be bigger, you likely just need a seat belt attachment for him. Take water and make a stop for a potty break. You will want to have a leash on hand.

Also be sure to set guidelines for the kiddos. They are so cute! Main thing is to let them know they can't play with the puppy every hour of the day since puppies need their sleep to grow strong. Kids need to know how to properly pet, carry, and walk the dog to avoid hurting the dog or pushing the dog into defensive mode. If pushed too far too often, a dog will learn that growling and biting can get the idea across to leave him alone. Aggressive play like playing tug of war and chasing a dog are not advised forms of play.

Try not to have too many guests your first day. It's a lot for a new puppy to move and learn about their new family. The first night will be very scary. He will need to know someone is there, and he will be more secure to sleep through the night. Of course, he may need to go outside during the night.

I agree that training right away, especially potty training, will be your best bet. Let him potty in his designated spot as soon as you get home. I think you will be amazed at how much he will learn while being so young. Just keep training sessions short. I would say 5 minutes max. You can train them more often throughout the day rather than trying to do one long session.

Whew! Did you read all that!?!?!? LOL. I hope that helps. Your family will do great. You've got a really great looking pup. So cute.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Great puppy information here! I knew I joined the right forum!
Sloan, I'm surprised your breeder didn't have the pups groomed already... my breeder grooms them a few times before they go to their new homes because it makes them more comfortable with trimmers and scissors etc... I love the fact that my little guy will already look like a poodle when we get him, and won't be afraid of grooming tools! Maybe yours does this too, and you just want to clean up his face a little... I don't want to misinterpret your post. :)

Remember to relax and enjoy your new puppy! Your calm energy will be the most impactful thing to your dog!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts