Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I give my 4.5 month old toy poodle a raw cut up chicken wing so he can have his first bone? I’ve been very nervous about giving him a raw bone but he needs this for the teeth.

he eats a raw meat diet anyway and is very healthy
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I’m doing it for his teeth health, teething and general health. Not all time. As he is 4/5 months old and never had one yet! He chews everything. I’ve given deer antler, chews.. all of it!
And as a dog it’s a treat to have the occasional bone right!? So is it okay? He ate a bite and I threw the rest to see how he goes

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I feed raw, but my dogs are larger. Raw chicken bone is fine. However, there may be specific hazards due to the size of your dog or the specific cut of bone. You might check out preymodelraw.com or dogfoodforum.com (I'm not sure how active these forums are these days but you can search the archives).

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Chicken wings wouldn’t be my first choice for a toy. They are safe in general but can definitely be tricky with a small dog. I like to be more cautious than not enough.

Do you brush his teeth ? If not, it’s time to start while he’s still a puppy.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
For a tiny puppy I would personally go with chicken necks smashed with a hammer for safety. For chewing bones it is better to give them something large enough that they won't be eating it, just chewing the meat off recreationally.

If feeding raw, please take care to feed a balanced diet either PMR or BARF model. Bone is a very important part of the diet and should account for 10-20% of the diet. But it must be something easily digestible. Chicken spine, ribs, and necks are better for a small puppy. Necks and spines can be crushed easily with a hammer.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Be careful feeding chicken/turkey necks because you can cause dietary induced hyperthyroidism, also known as thyrotoxicosis. Dog's eating other animal's necks will naturally absorb the dead animal's thyroid hormones. The occasional treat is fine, but not as a regular diet.

Reactions: Lisy Lou 41

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Be careful feeding chicken/turkey necks because you can cause dietary induced hyperthyroidism, also known as thyrotoxicosis. Dog's eating other animal's necks will naturally absorb the dead animal's thyroid hormones. The occasional treat is fine, but not as a regular diet.

That's true, though chicken necks sold for human consumption should have the thyroid removed. But still I would vary it for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes thank you for that, I would have never thought. I haven’t feed my puppy anything like that. As they also have splintered into their little necks. So I tried a small amount of the wing. But was still nervous giving him that.
Would the leg be better because it’s larger or a raw lamb bone?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yes thank you for that, I would have never thought. I haven’t feed my puppy anything like that. As they also have splintered into their little necks. So I tried a small amount of the wing. But was still nervous giving him that.
Would the leg be better because it’s larger or a raw lamb bone?
Raw bones do not splinter. Only dried or cooked bones do. If you don't want him to consume it then you need a larger bone. But you haven't mentioned if he gets bones in some form in his normal diet. Puppies need enough calcium in their diets so the bone is very important. You can't feed a raw diet without bone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Raw bones do not splinter. Only dried or cooked bones do. If you don't want him to consume it then you need a larger bone. But you haven't mentioned if he gets bones in some form in his normal diet. Puppies need enough calcium in their diets so the bone is very important. You can't feed a raw diet without bone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay I never knew that. Yes I feed him raw chicken and meet at dinner and science diet biscuits at brekky. With a boiling egg occasionally. So I do need to give him bones too. If you can tell me the best ones for a toy poodle please. Thanks again

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Okay I never knew that. Yes I feed him raw chicken and meet at dinner and science diet biscuits at brekky. With a boiling egg occasionally. So I do need to give him bones too. If you can tell me the best ones for a toy poodle please. Thanks again
Sounds like you are feeding muscles - the meat off the bone such as chicken breast. Muscle has no calcium. Your puppy definitely needs calcium in a balanced amount in his diet.

You have several choices. You can buy commercially made raw diet labeled as nutritionally complete which would include calcium. You can grind up egg shells to add to his current food or you can feed bones. Everything has to be balanced. You can’t randomly add any amount to his diet.

I don’t feed raw so I can’t help you. Hopefully someone who is knowledgeable can provide you more definitive information.

Reactions: For Want of Poodle

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
For a young puppy, I would feed premade complete raw food if you want to feed him raw and have no prior experience. It is possible to do it yourself (I do) but it is an immense amount of work and research and for a toy sized puppy you might as well just go with a premade. That way you will not have to worry about him getting the right nutrients. They really need a good variety of animal meat, bone, organ, and fish to meet nutritional requirements.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like you are feeding muscles - the meat off the bone such as chicken breast. Muscle has no calcium. Your puppy definitely needs calcium in a balanced amount in his diet.

You have several choices. You can buy commercially made raw diet labeled as nutritionally complete which would include calcium. You can grind up egg shells to add to his current food or you can feed bones. Everything has to be balanced. You can’t randomly add any amount to his diet.

I don’t feed raw so I can’t help you. Hopefully someone who is knowledgeable can provide you more definitive information.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay.. thank you for all the help. Yeah I could crush up the shell then. I started him on cooked chicken but he had smelly stools, then I went through talking to other people about what dogs should be on raw not cooked Meat and vegetables. Other then the science diet biscuits that is specially formulated by a vet.
I found out with too much home cooked meat, which is what I originally had home on.. but too much turns out ruins their gut health, because apparently as dogs they hunted for their food, they ate the organs first and then fleshy meat. It was very interesting to learn all of this for myself. He has good breath, no smelling wind and is in good health.
I guess the vet science diet contains calcium in their dry food. So I give him that morning and lunch and then a bit of the raw chicken breast of a night.

So I’ll add in the egg shells. Thanks 😊

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
So I’ll add in the egg shells. Thanks 😊
Please do consult with your veterinarian on this if you decide not to go with a commercially prepared raw formula. Puppies require a careful balance of minerals and nutrients for proper growth.

For example, like Skylar said above, it's possible to give too much or too little calcium (eggshell) if you don't carefully measure it.

Since toys eat so little, I imagine it's extra challenging ensuring all their needs are met.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts