Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I usually give my son and husband their hair cuts (buzz cuts). Other than that I have no experience with the art of grooming. Will I be able to groom a spoo? Is there anyone or anywhere I can go to see what it would take to learn grooming? I think out of all of the aspects of owning a spoo this is the most intimidating for me.

My dogs in the past of HATED getting brushed and I would love to just be able to sit and brush my (future) dog. If I start brushing my spoo right away will it enjoy grooming or is there a trick to it?

Also, is there a groomer that anyone could recommend in the Calgary Area (NW, NE, Balzac, Airdrie)?

Thanks for all the help

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
You can do it (if you WANT it bad enough)! :lol: Before I got Lucybug, I had never held a clipper in my hand. All my other dogs are short coated breeds and need nothing more than a few drip-dry baths a year.

My daughter worked at the PetSmart grooming salon as a dog bather and she's the one who brought spoos into our lives. Because she had some experience with watching the groomers actually do the clipping/scissoring/etc., and she had hands-on knowledge of the bathing part - she was excited to have a spoo of her own to practice on. She's the one who gave me the confidence I needed to do what I do with Lucy. Now *I'm* much more commited to it that she is and I often clip her spoo for her too!

Since bringing Lucy home in October of 2009, I've only paid a professional groomer one time and that's when she was put into her continental clip. Other than that one visit back in February, I've kept her face, feet, tail and fanny clipped on a regular basis. I know that if I ever do anything wrong (as long as it doesn't involve actually nicking or cutting her) it's just hair and it WILL grow back! :)

I would have to say the things that are most valuable to me are my velocity dryer and our grooming table. Lucy doesn't LOVE to be groomed, but she's very compliant on the table (she knows mom is working when she's up there and she can't misbehave!) I have many different kinds of brushes, combs, clippers, trimmers, ear hair pullers (hemostats), products like shampoo, conditioner, static spray, ear powder, ear cleaner, etc., etc., etc...

It's been so fun for me to learn how to keep my spoo looking her best (I generally don't let her go longer than 1 1/2 weeks between face, feet and fanny trims) and it's especially gratifying when people ask me where I get her groomed and I can say that "I CAN DO IT"! :)

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You can totally do it! I never groomed a dog in my life before my mini poo and I have now groomed him fully twice, and done his FFT four times. Plus he's had weekly baths with blow dries since I got him. I was also very intimidated, but once you get started you realize you can do it.

I would get a lot of advice about bathing and drying (ask here or perhaps get a grooming book or video) because that is key to "prep" the hair so it's ready to be cut. You'll need (at a minimum) shears, clippers and blades, dryer (a stand dryer or high velocity dryer is best; I'm using a "pet" hairdryer while I save up for a high-velocity dryer), steel comb, slicker brush, pin brush. And shampoo, ear cleaner and nail clippers, too.

If you are nervous, you could start with FFT (face, feet and tail) and bathing/drying, then work your way up from there. If you are like me, once you get started you will realize you can do it if you are determined enough. I actually enjoy the grooming much more than I thought I would. It's a challege and I feel so proud of myself with I look at my groomed dog and know I did it myself.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
You can do it (if you WANT it bad enough)! :lol: Before I got Lucybug, I had never held a clipper in my hand. All my other dogs are short coated breeds and need nothing more than a few drip-dry baths a year.

My daughter worked at the PetSmart grooming salon as a dog bather and she's the one who brought spoos into our lives. Because she had some experience with watching the groomers actually do the clipping/scissoring/etc., and she had hands-on knowledge of the bathing part - she was excited to have a spoo of her own to practice on. She's the one who gave me the confidence I needed to do what I do with Lucy. Now *I'm* much more commited to it that she is and I often clip her spoo for her too!

Since bringing Lucy home in October of 2009, I've only paid a professional groomer one time and that's when she was put into her continental clip. Other than that one visit back in February, I've kept her face, feet, tail and fanny clipped on a regular basis. I know that if I ever do anything wrong (as long as it doesn't involve actually nicking or cutting her) it's just hair and it WILL grow back! :)

I would have to say the things that are most valuable to me are my velocity dryer and our grooming table. Lucy doesn't LOVE to be groomed, but she's very compliant on the table (she knows mom is working when she's up there and she can't misbehave!) I have many different kinds of brushes, combs, clippers, trimmers, ear hair pullers (hemostats), products like shampoo, conditioner, static spray, ear powder, ear cleaner, etc., etc., etc...

It's been so fun for me to learn how to keep my spoo looking her best (I generally don't let her go longer than 1 1/2 weeks between face, feet and fanny trims) and it's especially gratifying when people ask me where I get her groomed and I can say that "I CAN DO IT"! :)

Good luck!!

Ditto. You have loads of time to get all kind of videos, watch all kinds of youtube videos, get advice on here and get ready for the big day. I will help you in any way I can. You might want to talk to June and see if she can recommend anyone in your area. She has a salon. How far are you from her place?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to talk to June and see if she can recommend anyone in your area. She has a salon. How far are you from her place?
June is about 1/2 hour away from my house. I will not be meeting her for another few weeks but I thought I would see how other people make out with grooming.

Plumcrazy you scared me with the ear hair pullers. Sounds painful but I think I recall someone telling me it doesn't hurt. Thanks for the tips and vote of confidence.

PaddleAddict how much is the high velocity dryer and would I need it for a pet cut vs a show cut?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
you can totally do it! and you'll love it!! The funny thing is, in the beginning, you're both learning; your puppy will be wondering what the heck you're doing, and you'll be trying to figure that out yourself!! You'll be amazed how much easier it gets as time goes on... just persevere and you'll be fine! The dog will relax as he gets older and you'll get better and better with practice....
It becomes a little addictive to be honest... sometimes I get in trouble around here because I spend more time fussing with the dog then with a certain other someone... haha... so I have to make sure I rub his feet once in a while so he doesn't feel left out! (men :doh:)

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
so I have to make sure I rub his feet once in a while so he doesn't feel left out! (men :doh:)
You're lucky if you only have to rub his FEET, you should see what *I* have to rub!! :wacko: :pound:

(git yer minds out of the gutter!!! I was talking about his BACK!!!!!) :lol:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You're lucky if you only have to rub his FEET, you should see what *I* have to rub!! :wacko: :pound:

(git yer minds out of the gutter!!! I was talking about his BACK!!!!!) :lol:
oh my Plum... :redface:
... I have to rub ... his BACK sometimes too! Not complaining though ... he's always willing to reciprocate!

Seriously, though, don't you find the grooming has become a bit of an obsession? I love it so much I'm totally thinking I need to take a course and starting a little business!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Seriously, though, don't you find the grooming has become a bit of an obsession?
YES!!!! :) If there starts to be the HINT of fuzz on Lucy's face, we make an appointment with the clippers!! :lol: Luckily she's so good for me on the grooming table that it goes really quickly to zip off the new growth and I have a clean fft poodle again! Arreau probably thinks I'm :wacko: because every time we talk on the phone I give her a play-by-play of Lucy's condition and how quickly I'm going to be grooming her again!

I love it so much I'm totally thinking I need to take a course and starting a little business!
I would only find that fun if I could do dogs as compliant as Lucy is!! Sometimes I do Meau and she's nowhere NEAR as quiet and calm on the table. She hates, hates, hates the front of her muzzle done (near her nose) and will thrash her head to make you stop (I don't stop, but we do what we need to do in increments and really, really quickly - zip, zip, zip) She's also a bit more touchy about her feet. I do Meau, because I love Meau - but if it were a stranger's dog, I wouldn't be so patient, methinks! :fish:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YES!!!! :) I do Meau, because I love Meau - but if it were a stranger's dog, I wouldn't be so patient, methinks! :fish:
I have been wanting to use this fish since I have joined, it's funny! I also wanted to use this :preggers: but I don't think I could use it appropriately.

Thanks for sending out Jackie Boulton's name. Does anyone have her cn ontact info? I am not sure if she works out of a specific salon in Calgary. She probably comes in pretty pricey I would think but it might be worth the inquiry.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Plumcrazy you scared me with the ear hair pullers. Sounds painful but I think I recall someone telling me it doesn't hurt. Thanks for the tips and vote of confidence.

PaddleAddict how much is the high velocity dryer and would I need it for a pet cut vs a show cut?
Lucy didn't like her ear hair pulled when her ears were yucky because of a food sensitivity. Now that her ears are healthy and clean, the plucking is kind of a non-event. Just like other parts of grooming, she doesn't LOVE it, but doesn't fight me either - just puts up with it...

My HV dryer was $109 (plus tax & shipping) from PetEdge. I prefer Lucy's hair to be dryed as straight as possible and my dryer helps with that. It's not as powerful as a lot of dryers out there, but it's MUCH more powerful than my human dryer (and doesn't get dangerously HOT!) I didn't really know about HV dryers until my daughter (who used to work as a dog bather at PetSmart) taught me. She wouldn't wash her pet spoo without one now!

Before I bought ours, she would take Meau to the local "do it yourself" dog washes that provided the HV dryer because she didn't want to let Meau air-dry... I think it's mostly personal preference, but now that I know what it's like to have a dryer, I wouldn't go back (and I may end up upgrading to a better/more powerful one before too long!)

Good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I just contacted Jackie Boulton's salon and she charges anywhere from $80-120 for a standard poodle cut. Not sure how this compares for prices anywhere else but thought people might want to know. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
That sounds pretty good for a well recommended groomer! Just our average, run of the mill groomer here in Bismarck charges $65 - $130 depending on the cut.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well I finally did Poppy's face, feet and tail, took 3 days with spending about an 45 minutes each time, but I DID IT!!! And you can to. I have no grooming experience, well I cut hubby's hair maybe 3 times over 10 years ago and lets say the 3rd time, well the way it looked once I was done is why I have not cut it again:doh:

I started dremeling Poppy's feet as soon as I got her and although it took some time she will now tolerate it. I also started combing her at least once per week and I'd let her have a greenie while I was doing it as a special treat. Her groomer says she is great at being groomed, but with me it seems she's not as calm as I though she would be based on the groomer's comments. I give her many little treats, wilderness cat food, while I'm clipping and lots of praise. I think I will have to keep this up for a while, but the treats are much cheaper that having her groomed.

I don't have a grooming table, I just put a towel on her crate, it has a solid top not wire, and she jupms up there to be groomed. I purchased a Whal Arco and it appears to work great for what I'm doing now. Plus with its adjustable blade I don't have to buy a bunch of blades. I don't have a High Velocity dryer yet, just use my hair dryer, it will do for now. My next bigger purchase may be a HV if I decide I'm going to do more grooming on her.

At this point, I'm just planning on doing FFT, but I'm sure at some point I'll get brave and do a full groom, hope it turns out better that hubby's hair:mohawk:

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Usually a Spoo is done every 4 to 8 weeks. You should receive your puppy freshly clipped and bathed (ask about this because not all breeders do it) so about four weeks after, it will need it's FFT done. I would take the puppy to a groomer, have them do a FFT and sanitary with a bath and tidy up with the scissors (around the front of the top knot if you are not showing, around the ankles and around the bum. Then, you can keep up the FFT in between grooms because you will have good lines to follow. Take the puppy to the groomer for the first big clip down, then keep FFT tidied up in between. Eventually you will want to try your hand at the full groom, and when you think you are ready, do it, but do it while the groomer's haircut is pretty fresh (maybe four weeks after she did it) so you have lines to follow.

There are specific mistakes novices make...clipping too high up between the eyes, clipping too high up on the feet, taking the tail way too far down toward the end. We can assist you with that when you are ready. Watch loads of videos while you wait for your puppy. Maybe your groomer would let you sit in and watch a couple of grooming sessions. Most will not because dogs tend to act up when their owners are around while being perfect angels when they aren't, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts