Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I have been grooming my spoo for about 2 years now and ran into a snag (no pun intended) this weekend. I decided to start clipping after a bath and found it was nearly impossible to get through his coat while it was damp. In fact, it almost seemed like my 5FC blade might be twisting his damp hair. I tried again after his coat was dry later that day, and again this morning, but still couldn't get a smooth trim.

Could I have dulled the blade by using it while his fur was wet? Has anyone experienced anything similar before? We bought the blade 9 months ago and have only used it ~8 times so I'm very perplexed. Our two year old 10 blade (with and without a #5 comb attachment) still works fine.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I would never clip a damp dog. I don’t think electrical tools not rated and developed for use in wet situations are safe around water.

I’m guessing that the damp fur clumped up and made it difficult for the blades to work. I would have guessed they would be fine on a dry coat but you’re still having problems, so maybe the stress of clumps of hair did damage the blade.

Reactions: EVpoodle

·
Registered
365 Posts
I wonder if the blade was pulled out of alignment when you tried to clip damp.
At work we clip fur that is wet, dirty, matted, and worse but only with a 10 or 40, so the blade goes under the fur more than through it. Even so, while I would say that it dulls the blade more quickly than clean dry fur, it doesn't have such a drastic effect that you are seeing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback, Skylar and Starvt! I read some guides that okayed damp clipping, but I won't be trying it again!

I do think that the blade may have fallen out of alignment. This particular blade also rusted within one use despite oiling it, which is super frustrating. Perhaps the combination of the two caused the issue. At least this is a good wake up call to invest in some blade cleaner (we've been oiling them generously but have yet to use blade wash - which we are probably a bit late to figuring out!)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Is the coat perfectly tangle free? Even with my 7f, if it is not, I get a challenging and uneven cut. Also, if my blade is overly oily or dirty it jams/cuts poorly. Definitely invest in blade wash, make sure you wipe your blades after oiling, and, for now, try cleaning it with a toothbrush off the clipper?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Never use corded clippers!
How come you decided to clip the coat wet?
A 5f will clog on damp hair, it has to be soaked preferably with conditioner through it (this is done in the bath) maybe the snagging misaligned your blade, always make sure you dry and oil them after clipping a wet coat.
Usually this technique is used on severe cases of matting or instead of preclipping a very filthy coat as it is less damaging on the blade to clip a wet coat. I wouldn’t bother wet clipping a well kept coat though it has to be done again when dry for a good finish.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Vee, I have been grooming poodles for 50 years and have never owned a cordless clipper. Why do you say not to use one?

I have never heard of clipping a wet dog - but then I only clip my own dogs and they are not matted.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Vee, I have been grooming poodles for 50 years and have never owned a cordless clipper. Why do you say not to use one?

I have never heard of clipping a wet dog - but then I only clip my own dogs and they are not matted.
corded not cordless. I mean don’t use corded for wet clipping.

I think Wet clipping is becoming more popular with the doodles as they tend to be the ones needing to have it done most. It’s used when the coat is completely pelted with matts close to the skin, if you wet the coat the matts are gently lifted from the skin so its easier to get under with your clippers, sometimes with a longer blade than you would use if the coat was dry. It’s kinder on the dog and keeps the blades cooler. Some groomers also wet clip filthy coats because of their blades getting damaged preclipping a muddy coat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apologies for the slow replies! Only reason I tried grooming wet was because our guy happened to hop in a creek on grooming day and I had to bathe off the creek smell/dirt, and read that some people wet clip.

I ended up cleaning the blades and it does seem like it was simply an issue of poor blade maintenance/alignment. It's still has a tiny bit of rust from the very first time we used it, but it's doing much better now, and our spoo's coat doesn't seem to be damaged.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts