Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you have experience with the best type of basket to attach to a bicycle - I love to ride and would like to take my 8 pound toy along. It seems that every product I can find reviews on have some sort of safety issues, mostly with tipping. Has anyone tried this with their dog and do you think it's something that they would enjoy. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
OK...I'm going to embarrass myself by posting these pictures because due to health issues, I have gained a LOT of weight. Going for surgery again on Monday and am hopeful this will be my fix.

Anyway... I was 5 when I got my first poodle, and we went bike riding everywhere!!! I know it's different when you are little. In my case, I never really grew up (4'10") LOL! She loved it and always stayed in the basket enjoying the breeze in her face. She jumped out one time when I was taking an excursion in a nearby field full of grasshoppers. I was stopped at the time, so she decided to catch her a snack.

I didn't go riding with my second poodle. I got serious into road cycling and knew it was too fast for her safety. I got to where I would average 18mph on my own or 25 mph with a group.

Now with my third poodle, I figured I could take her on a casual ride around the neighborhood on my mountain bike. These pictures were when she was 3 months old. I had her in a harness that was connected to the bike's handlebars. Good thing too. She was a wiggle worm! It's amazing how much it can affect you when they shift their weight. If it's been awhile since you have been on a bike, I would get used to it again. I would also put your pup in the basket and walk the bike, so they can get an idea what it is all about.

Now my little girl has grown up. She is almost 11 lbs and 12" X 12". I don't think I would trust the basket anymore.

OK...here's the pictures. Just concentrate on how cute that little puppy is! :love:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
BFF, I think you look pretty no matter what your weight. You have a very sweet face. Anyway, you're not the only one who has medical problem induced weight gain! I've been trying to lose 50 pounds for about 8 years now. So, don't be embarrassed (I know, easier said than done) because your weight does not define who you are. *steps off soapbox before it collapses* :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
I found a basket with a weight rating of 20 lbs (it's a metal one). When I get my girly pink bike, I plan on getting a basket, putting some ribbons in Captain's ears and going for it :lol: My husband said Captain can have the ribbons in his hair the ONE time :lol:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
BFF, I think you look pretty no matter what your weight. You have a very sweet face. Anyway, you're not the only one who has medical problem induced weight gain! I've been trying to lose 50 pounds for about 8 years now. So, don't be embarrassed (I know, easier said than done) because your weight does not define who you are. *steps off soapbox before it collapses* :D
Well said! Thank you for the confidence boost. I'll just be very excited to be active again. I miss cycling terribly.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'm not too terribly sure I would trust my poodle to not jump out and go flying into the grass somewhere... or possibly launching himself at someone walking with food. (He tried to maul people at the park yesterday who were eating KFC... needless to say he had to go back on his leash.) He loves to go on bike rides, though... but not as a passenger. He really enjoys running along side my bike (leash on). I was afraid he would dart in front of me a couple times and I would run him over, but he kept his distance from the wheels and loved the running. I did bring a backpack to put him in... in case he couldn't make it back... but it didn't come to that :)

BFF, I want baby Zulee! Those pictures are adorable. And if you consider that a "lot" of weight... girlllllll, shoot. :p I went from being 120 in high school, to 115 in college, to A WHOLE LOT STINKIN more right now, lol. It is depressing to say the least, but I have to agree that being active after being sedentary (well, at least in my case) for quite some time is awesome! Don't know why I ever stopped!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My two small dogs would be terrified although I would love to do that! If they are not skitsy (like my Aoki) I am sure with the right set up like BFF said it would be OK.

BFF I can relate - I refer to "my new body" everytime something does not fit or I get out of breath lol!!! I have gained a lot this year too......we need to believe what people say I guess, because I think you look great!:)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm just borrowing this body until mine comes home. I leave the porch light on every night.

I think Teddy would like riding on a bike, if we had one.

Excuse me, he just farted under my desk. I need some air.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm just borrowing this body until mine comes home. I leave the porch light on every night.

I think Teddy would like riding on a bike, if we had one.

Excuse me, he just farted under my desk. I need some air.
Too Funny!!!!
:behindsofa: Is it safe yet!

I wonder if he heard what you were thinking about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol I think my boy knows every word we say, as he is always watching us and reacting to things. We even have to spell out going bye bye in the car or he gets very excited and runs around the house like a wild man.

Thanks for your input on the bicylce thing people. I'm off today to buy a rack to support a basket carrier. My husband has some ideas about how to secure it properly to the rack and he is pretty good about figuring out how to make things work so..... I will def put my foot down if he tries to take Andre on his motorcyle though lol :)

Thanks !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts