Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I’ve been looking into adding a dog to the family. I’ve posted before asking about a spoo and chihuahua getting along. At the time I was living with grandparents, since then I’ve moved back in with my parents. I took my chihuahua with me and had her in the new house for a few weeks. She was depressed, and wasn’t her normal self. Then it hit me that she was “my” dog; I fed her and groomed her and took her out. But she was really bonded to my grandfather. I reunited them she was whimpering in excitement. So I knew I couldn’t separate them again. I’m only 15 minutes away so I can see her any time. That was about a year ago.

In present time living in this new house in Los Angeles, there are sometimes sketchy people around which makes me nerves as I work from home and alone about 5 to 6 days out the week. All adults have agreed that it’s time for a dog again. With that being said I’m stuck on standard poodle and giant schnauzer. Both are great in their own way. Does anyone have experience with spoos and giants ? Is there any advice you could give ? Preferably something I can’t google, I’ve googled my brains out lol. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
I think someone here actually has a spoo and a giant. I'm sure you'll get great advice!

And what a kind thing you did, giving up your chihuahua. Very selfless. I hope your next companion is a perfect fit. Our spoo has quite a deep growly bark and I feel so safe with her around. She once didn't know my husband had come home, heard some noises from a back bedroom, and absolutely CHARGED down the hall when I released her from her x-pen. Her confidence was impressive.

Of course she immediately became a wiggly marshmallow when she saw who it was, but if that had been an intruder, he'd have gotten outta there FAST.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Giants are guard dogs, while poodles are alert dogs. My Giants would never have let anybody into my house, and they were always on guard when we were out, while my poodle will bark but would never actually bite anybody. While it is nice having dogs that you know will protect and defend you, it is a big responsibility because you have to be very careful all of the time to make sure your Giant doesn't see threats where they don't really exist and bite. Because if he does bite it is a very big financial risk for you and a very big risk that your dog can be taken away and killed. You say you have sketchy people around your neighborhood, a Giant will know they are there and be itching to get at them and chase them away or take them down, and if that happens you will be getting a visit from the police, and they will have the authority to take your dog away and put him down.

My poodle is much easier to live with, he does not need to be entertained all day every day in order to prevent him finding ways to amuse himself that usually ended up with something getting destroyed. I don't have to "schnauzerproof" my house any more. He also does not need nearly as much exercise. Schnauzers have to get out and run and run and run and run every day, where Zephyr is fine with a daily outing of about an hour where he can run and play, but once we get home again he is quiet in the house. Schnauzers would run for hours and still be zooming around once we got home.

Grooming is different, but probably about the same level of time and difficulty.

I dearly miss my Schnauzers, but my poodle is a much better fit for living in the suburbs where I do.

·
Premium Member
23,201 Posts
reraven I am so glad you posted here. Your experience of both breeds and explanations would have been super helpful to me if I was trying to make the decision the OP asked about.

I have spoos and a GSD. All of them are serious alert barkers and strangers approaching our door would probably be dissuaded by any one of them, but I think the most "menacing" bark of the three is actually Lily sort of ironically since she is the smallest and the only girl of the three. If the right alert barking happens hopefully nothing happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think someone here actually has a spoo and a giant. I'm sure you'll get great advice!

And what a kind thing you did, giving up your chihuahua. Very selfless. I hope your next companion is a perfect fit. Our spoo has quite a deep growly bark and I feel so safe with her around. She once didn't know my husband had come home, heard some noises from a back bedroom, and absolutely CHARGED down the hall when I released her from her x-pen. Her confidence was impressive.

Of course she immediately became a wiggly marshmallow when she saw who it was, but if that had been an intruder, he'd have gotten outta there FAST.

Thank you for the reply. Nena (chihuahua) loves my grandfather lol he never liked dogs in the house. But this little dog changed him lol he even carries her around and sit on the porch with her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Giants are guard dogs, while poodles are alert dogs. My Giants would never have let anybody into my house, and they were always on guard when we were out, while my poodle will bark but would never actually bite anybody. While it is nice having dogs that you know will protect and defend you, it is a big responsibility because you have to be very careful all of the time to make sure your Giant doesn't see threats where they don't really exist and bite. Because if he does bite it is a very big financial risk for you and a very big risk that your dog can be taken away and killed. You say you have sketchy people around your neighborhood, a Giant will know they are there and be itching to get at them and chase them away or take them down, and if that happens you will be getting a visit from the police, and they will have the authority to take your dog away and put him down.

My poodle is much easier to live with, he does not need to be entertained all day every day in order to prevent him finding ways to amuse himself that usually ended up with something getting destroyed. I don't have to "schnauzerproof" my house any more. He also does not need nearly as much exercise. Schnauzers have to get out and run and run and run and run every day, where Zephyr is fine with a daily outing of about an hour where he can run and play, but once we get home again he is quiet in the house. Schnauzers would run for hours and still be zooming around once we got home.

Grooming is different, but probably about the same level of time and difficulty.

I dearly miss my Schnauzers, but my poodle is a much better fit for living in the suburbs where I do.

Yes I wouldn’t want for anyone to get hurt. And a spoo seems to have a big enough bark to keep anyone from idling around to long. Schnauzerproof sounds like a job in its self. Schnauzers sounds like they don’t ever relax lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
reraven I am so glad you posted here. Your experience of both breeds and explanations would have been super helpful to me if I was trying to make the decision the OP asked about.

I have spoos and a GSD. All of them are serious alert barkers and strangers approaching our door would probably be dissuaded by any one of them, but I think the most "menacing" bark of the three is actually Lily sort of ironically since she is the smallest and the only girl of the three. If the right alert barking happens hopefully nothing happens.

The more I research and ask people with both breeds the more I’m realizing that a spoo would be a better match.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
I haven’t had a giant schnauzer but they sound like a lot of dog and commitment. Still today they are working dogs and used as such in many countries. Not a dog I would want to care for, as it would need a whole lot of my time, patience and dedication. Much more than I am capable of, or willing to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven’t had a giant schnauzer but they sound like a lot of dog and commitment. Still today they are working dogs and used as such in many countries. Not a dog I would want to care for, as it would need a whole lot of my time, patience and dedication. Much more than I am capable of, or willing to.

That’s something I also have to think about. I don’t want to get a day especially a working dog and not be able to fulfill its job or work drive

·
Registered
340 Posts
Reraven gave very solid advice, I agree with everything said there.

I want to also note that Poodles are normally naturally alert dogs, like stated before. They will let you know (if you're in your home) that they hear someone or see someone approaching your door. But from my research and experience, they are not keen to bite someone (only alert). My SPoo is amazing, but I will say he will alert me to literally everything, including a leaf that hit the window. The gift that keeps on giving :)
Amazing companions, do not shed, but need quality exercise as I am sure you've read in your research! I think you would be happier with a SPoo based upon your desires. My SPoo can really read my energy and will know when I am uneasy about something. He will go into "watch mode" where he will look for the issue, such as a weird noise in the woods during our night-walks. Highly intelligent!!

I wish you luck!!

·
Premium Member
9,702 Posts
We have newish neighbors with a pair of GS and they bark constantly when they’re in the yard. I think they are handsome dogs, but would not want the liability or the noise. The Australian Shepherd next door is another noisy dog. That loudmouth is just reacting to us on the other side of the fence. At least, the Giants are responding to joggers, bikers and walkers and not everyday residents sharing a fence.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have newish neighbors with a pair of GS and they bark constantly when they’re in the yard. I think they are handsome dogs, but would not want the liability or the noise. The Australian Shepherd next door is another noisy dog. That loudmouth is just reacting to us on the other side of the fence. At least, the Giants are responding to joggers, bikers and walkers and not everyday residents sharing a fence.

The gs breed is sounding like a bit to much lol I wouldn’t want to be the noisy neighbors lol there’s already lots of those where I live.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If you are wanting a dog that will be a good alert barker, do be sure to talk to breeders about their experiences with their line of dogs. There is quite a bit of variation between dogs. I just have a mini poo, but he never alert barks. Maybe he will develop it as he ages, but personally that's not what I want so I am quite happy if he never does. Possibly spoos are more likely to alert bark, but it's something to talk to breeders about. I also agree that having a dog that will truly bite somebody is a liability I would never want. For both myself and the dog.

Both breeds you're thinking of are high maintenance for grooming, so just be sure to really make sure you understand what that entails lol. There's plenty of good threads about it here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are wanting a dog that will be a good alert barker, do be sure to talk to breeders about their experiences with their line of dogs. There is quite a bit of variation between dogs. I just have a mini poo, but he never alert barks. Maybe he will develop it as he ages, but personally that's not what I want so I am quite happy if he never does. Possibly spoos are more likely to alert bark, but it's something to talk to breeders about. I also agree that having a dog that will truly bite somebody is a liability I would never want. For both myself and the dog.

Both breeds you're thinking of are high maintenance for grooming, so just be sure to really make sure you understand what that entails lol. There's plenty of good threads about it here.

Thank you, I didn’t even think of the actual lineage of individual breeders dogs . Lol Yes grooming , I’m a member of a poodle and schnauzer grooming Facebook groups lol. And in groups for my top 4 dog breeds lol I’m to indecisive and also have to consider everyone else I. The household and what they prefer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts